Recovery Image

GitBoxer

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I was looking at the partitions and it seems 5 gigs is occupied by the recovery partition. I want to make an image of this, save it elsewhere and put it on an bootable USB key if needed. Has anyone tried booting from USB on the stream 7?

UPDATE:
I created a bootable USB of the recovery partition using recoverydrive.exe from the Run command. I then made a .ISO file of the USB drive using PowerISO and stored it safely on some backup drives. To boot from USB on the HP Stream 7, hold Volume Down while pressing the power button. The bios and boot options will appear.

NOTE: Although I have not actually recovered my OS from this image file, I am confident enough that it will work to erase my recovery partition and free up some space. If you choose to do the same, do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.

UPDATE 2:

It seems deleting the recovery partition breaks the boot. On the bright side, I was able to use my USB recovery image to factory restore AFTER I had deleted the recovery partition.

Last edited:

levin808

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
these tablets use WIMBoot. as I understand it the so called recovery partition is not only used for recovery but also for your working OS. From the read only WIMBoot image, files for the OS is uncompressed seamlessly in the background as needed. And because the image is compressed it takes up less space than a normal non-WIMBoot install of Windows 8.1. I guess this is how devices like the Toshiba Mini can have full Windows on 16GB drives without running out of space in a week. maybe until the next patch Tuesday. =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos