Another New Semi-Happy Stream Owner

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Just got this guy yesterday. It's a little thicker than my DVP8, but that's ok. Other than the 1GB RAM (which I'm not complaining about, you get what you pay for and all), there are two things that really irk me... well, actually it's one irk and one annoyance;

1) No USB transfer? Really? That makes loading up music, books, comics, etc rather cumbersome. I either have to bucket brigade the data over by USB drive, or remove the SD card every time I want to swap out content (which then entails finding a crowbar to pry off that back plate). Had I known this going in, I'm not sure I would have gotten it.

2) Not sure if this is something that will go away in time or not, but the screen coating isn't the most finger-friendly surface I've used. It seems to be a bit rougher, to the point where I often end up double-tapping or mis-spelling. I'm hoping it's a 'need to wear it in' thing.

Other than that, tremendous value!

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree with realwarder; a cloud share seems like the best way to move things around, by far.

Normally I'd disagree (I don't always connect to the same device, or at the same place), but since my OneDrive account just got a 100GB boost it's something I may explore. Still not sure why such a basic functionality was omitted, it's not like NFC or anything that requires expensive hardware (or any hardware at all, I'm guessing that function is just code)...

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
How is storage like in the device, is 32gb of space adequate?

After OS and apps, I'm left with about 20gb. I tossed in a 64GB microSD, but will probably upgrade that to a 128. Now if I can just get the battery to last more than about 3 hours at a time...

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
After OS and apps, I'm left with about 20gb. I tossed in a 64GB microSD, but will probably upgrade that to a 128. Now if I can just get the battery to last more than about 3 hours at a time...

Did you have office application on there? I have a hp stream 11, I was left with less than 10gb and do not have the option to delete the recovery partition. Thank you, this is good to know. :)

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Why did you purchase this when you had a dvp8?
Because it was $79.00, which included Office 365 for a year and a $25.00 Xbox/Windows gift card?

That's why I got two anyway, I'll redeem the two years of office and the $50 in credit then sell one, upgrade to Office 365 Home for a few bucks and install Windows 10 on the remaining one.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been using team viewer to transfer files between two of my laptops. I'm sure it would work on the stream. It's a lot faster than uploading to OneDrive if you want a lot of files right then.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys are going through all the extra trouble, set up a shared folder on your PC and access it directly from the Stream. Alternatively, configure Homegroup on your PC and join your Stream to it. As long as you're on the same network you'll be good.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
You need to get a USB On The Go (OTG) cable to attach normal USB drives to the micro USB port OR buy one of the new double sided USB/micro USB memory drives that are now available - that's all you need to transfer content to the stream 7.

bable

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
The screen is fine with a protector on it, I feel that's why they left a weird texture/coating. I got the cheapest protectors on amazon and they feel great.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys are going through all the extra trouble, set up a shared folder on your PC and access it directly from the Stream. Alternatively, configure Homegroup on your PC and join your Stream to it. As long as you're on the same network you'll be good.

In my case, your last sentence isn't always true, so I'm not good. ( :

You need to get a USB On The Go (OTG) cable to attach normal USB drives to the micro USB port OR buy one of the new double sided USB/micro USB memory drives that are now available - that's all you need to transfer content to the stream 7.

Yes, I can do that, or HomeGroup, or OneDrive, or any other of the myriad options presented here. What I can't do, however, is simply plug it into a PC and have the PC recognize it. My DV8P does it, my Nexus 7 does it, my old Galaxy Tab did it... heck, I have an old Palm Pilot that used to do it. I realize there are alternatives, but at the end of the day none of them are as simple as plugging in a cable.

On the plus side, it looks like the issue with the screen coating was just a break-in time thing, the screen is now silky smooth. ( :

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
just buy a USB OTG (On the Go) adapter - they're $5 from Fry's - it will convert the microUSB to a full sized usb port put an USB thumb drive in instead of cracking open the back and using the SD card

Keith Valdez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I got me an OTG/Card Reader slot drive. It allows me to plug in normal sized USB devices AND transfer files easily using other SD cards (as I have a card slot on all my pc's as well). With an OTG cable, you can pretty much daisy chain as many devices as you'd expect to. Then again, as someone else said, I just have a shared folder on my network that I put files in when I want to copy them to my tablet. That... and I have my Google Play account, lets me add my music from my Play Music account directly to my device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro