Pagefile eMMC

Pablo Arteaga

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I ordered an HP Stream 7 from MS Store UK yesterday, but there is something that I have just realised about. The tablet has 1GB of RAM, which seems to be enough, but I suppose that the pagefile will be accessed quite frequently, with a lot of read and writes from/to the eMMC drive. However, as we know, eMMC drives have a limited amount of read/write cycles and I am concerned about wether using the device intensively might wear out the drive with too many write cycles to it for the pagefile.

Apart from that, is it really enough with 1GB of RAM? I will be adding a fast microSDXC, so I assume I could also do some swap/pagefile there?

Thanks

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. The flash drive can write to each sector a limited number of times. That limit is rather large. TRIM will prevent it from using the same sector over and over, spreading wear evenly over the whole drive.

That said, you'll most likely be replacing it for the "next great thing" a couple years down the road, LONG before the emmc has reached its limits.

Pablo Arteaga

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for your reply. Apart from that, do you know if there is any way to use a MicroSD for additional "Virtual" RAM?

Does it work ok with 1GB of RAM?

Thanks

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
the Stream 7 runs just fine with 1GB RAM. You cannot use the MicroSD for virtual RAM, but for storage, file transfer or installing some apps on

cicero goncalves

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can use the space in your memory card as "virtual memory" and even if you could you wouldn't want to. Memory card speed are significant slower than the eMMC and windows would lag quite a bit using it.

Pablo Arteaga

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much. I know that the MicroSD is significantly slower, but I was thinking about using it more of "as a last resource" than as usual RAM.

I'm getting it tomorrow (UPS does not deliver on weekends), so looking forward to have it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6