SD Card Performance

Freebyte

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if anyone could provide some information on how fast of an SD card I should use. For example, is a basic Class 10 card sufficient enough to run desktop apps off of? And is there a bottleneck in the Stream 7 SD Card slot that would make a very high speed card pointless? I'm looking at a 128GB SanDisk Ultra card, which is slower than many other cards but has good capacity for the price. Any insight is appreciated!

Jiffybag

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a Transcend 32GB UHS-I '300x' card for mine, and happily run Steam games off of it. A standard class 10 only need to have a 10mbp/s data rate, which isn't overly fast, so go for an enhanced speed card if you can.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Freebyte

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I'm actually looking at the PNY Turbo Performance 64GB right now, it seems to have some good benchmarks and it's hard to beat a 64GB card for $30!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a Sandisk 64GB UHS-1 and also running Steam games from it. No problems so far. I looked for a data transfer rate on the Stream 7's SD slot, but couldn't find one...so who knows if buying a super fast SD card even matters...

Freebyte

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I've heard good things about the SanDisk cards in general, and in retrospect I really don't think too high of a speed is necessary... It's not like any of us will be using the Stream for 4K video recording or running massive 3D games. More than anything I think I higher speed will just be beneficial for transferring files to and from the device.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've heard good things about the SanDisk cards in general, and in retrospect I really don't think too high of a speed is necessary... It's not like any of us will be using the Stream for 4K video recording or running massive 3D games. More than anything I think I higher speed will just be beneficial for transferring files to and from the device.

Agreed, I think that the load times might improve is all...but Psychonauts runs just fine and my kids play the Lego games without issue as well.

(off topic: We use a USB to MicroUSB adapter for an xbox one controller, works great.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa