HP Stream 7 and Windows 10 upgrade hasn't shown up yet, why is that?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

HP Stream 7 and Windows 10 upgrade program

Hello everyone. Maybe all of you have noticed that all the PC's with Win 7 and 8/8.1 are now showing the "Get Windows 10" registration option. My main's PC (Win 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bits) has shown it, but my HP Stream 7 (Win 8.1 with Bing) hasn't. Does anybody know why?

qkpham

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
You can force the Windows 10 icon by following this tutorial : techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html

It worked for me (also try method 2 & 3 down in the comments). It might take a few minutes but it worked on my Stream 7 but also older devices I had :wink:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I used the Windows Insider to get Win 10 on my Stream 8. Don't know what happened to mine but now I have a useless brick. It has the 1022 version loaded and runs but I only have about 100 MB of storage left and errors out on most things I try to do. Foolish me, I did not make a recover disk and now can't go back to Win 8. I'm hoping HP will help me go back but so far, they want $149 to restore it to factory settings. A little steep for me since I paid that for the Stream 8 new.

If you do decide to go with Win 10, make sure you make a recovery disk. The 32 GB in the 7 $ 8 are just at the hairy edge of not being enough to run Win 10. I say that because that's what I see on mine. I may have gotten a corrupt install. Just make sure you prepare to go back.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I used the Windows Insider to get Win 10 on my Stream 8. Don't know what happened to mine but now I have a useless brick. It has the 1022 version loaded and runs but I only have about 100 MB of storage left and errors out on most things I try to do. Foolish me, I did not make a recover disk and now can't go back to Win 8. I'm hoping HP will help me go back but so far, they want $149 to restore it to factory settings. A little steep for me since I paid that for the Stream 8 new.

If you do decide to go with Win 10, make sure you make a recovery disk. The 32 GB in the 7 $ 8 are just at the hairy edge of not being enough to run Win 10. I say that because that's what I see on mine. I may have gotten a corrupt install. Just make sure you prepare to go back.

Not really. All you need is a USB OTG cable, an 8GB flash drive, an ISO of Windows 8.1 with Bing, and another computer and you can make a bootable USB stick.

ccase360

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
The "Get Windows 10" app appeared on my HP Stream 7 today. It says the tablet meets the requirements and I reserved my copy. Note: Make sure update KB3035583 is installed, the app won't appear if that update isn't installed

Simon Kimber

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Just to say after much hassle I managed to upgrade my HP stream 7 to windows 10 today. I had real problems with the get windows app, with it not appearing. I tried reinstalling the crucial KB update. Windows downloaded the gwx exe but it wouldn't run.

In the end I found a much easier way. I found a link for a fresh install from scratch and have installed windows 10 that way. I needed extra storage space, but used the micro SD card I have for that. Its slow to upgrade this way, but it works

theartdude

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine just showed up, upgrading now. If your win 10 free upgrade prompt isn't showing, make sure you update your windows to a point where there are no additional updates. If you don't spend some time to update your current windows, don't expect win 10 free upgrade prompt options.

NoICon

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: HP Stream 7 and Windows 10 upgrade program

Still waiting... sigh. For those that got the update, is the Stream 7 better on Windows 10 versus Windows 8.1?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: HP Stream 7 and Windows 10 upgrade program

Still waiting... sigh. For those that got the update, is the Stream 7 better on Windows 10 versus Windows 8.1?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

see my post here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/hp-stream-7/365294-upgrading-stream-7-w10.html#post3162113

I followed this site for installation. More importantly, I like my HP Stream 7 better now after W10 upgrade. I love it. Everything is working as it should and I have an enjoyable smooth experience. I am using the device more often than I used to since the upgrade.
One caveat: Because you are not upgrading the existing 8.1, the system may not be activated. You have to find other means of activation (I used KMS activation - search the W10 forums at MDL).
Or you could just call the activation number to get it activated since it is legit anyway.

cheers

monotheist

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I did not get a notification for a few days on my stream while my other laptops and PCs got the notification.

Today I got the notification on my HP Steam. I also ran the scripts to force windows to show the icon a day before. But that didnt work.

Finally today it suddenly popped up. My steam has Windows 8.1 for Bing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa