Upgrading Stream 7 to W10

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I was bored over the weekend, so I decided to upgrade (*not* clean install) my S7 to Win10. It first installed 10130, then upgraded to 10162. Here's my two major issues:

1) The OSK (On-Screen-Keyboard) doesn't always launch, especially in third-party apps. You'll tap a text field, and nothing happens. Can't find a viable workaround.

2) OS navigation is painfully slow. Unlocking the tablet, navigating the start menu, the hamburger menu, etc, takes an easy 2-3 minutes between tapping and response. I don't think it's driver related, as I updated all the drivers (which are now back on the HP support page, btw), and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I'm in potrait or landscape.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Go to File Explorer and see how much memory you have left from the original 32 GB. I tried it on my Stream 7 and I had left only 300 or so MB which is not enough to do much with the Win 10 OS.

I did have the Office 365 installed when I did the upgrade. I did not do a clean install. I believe that if you do that, it might work better but I believe you will loose your Office 365 license.

The 7 & 8 Tablets need more memory; preferable 64GB to allow enough storage to download apps etc.

Let us know what you decided to do. When I tried to recover 8.1, I got insufficient memory to go back to 8.1. Now I'm not a guru by any means but I think HP should put out something about how to upgrade or suggest that we don't.

Good luck.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Go to File Explorer and see how much memory you have left from the original 32 GB. I tried it on my Stream 7 and I had left only 300 or so MB which is not enough to do much with the Win 10 OS.

I did have the Office 365 installed when I did the upgrade. I did not do a clean install. I believe that if you do that, it might work better but I believe you will loose your Office 365 license.

The 7 & 8 Tablets need more memory; preferable 64GB to allow enough storage to download apps etc.

Let us know what you decided to do. When I tried to recover 8.1, I got insufficient memory to go back to 8.1. Now I'm not a guru by any means but I think HP should put out something about how to upgrade or suggest that we don't.

Good luck.

Oh yes, after install I had about 340Mb left, a majority of that was the WINDOWS.OLD folder, which contains the previous OS in case you decide to roll back. You can get rid of it and clear out a bunch of space by doing Disk Cleanup (I'm at about 8Gb free after that), but keep in mind if you do that the upgrade becomes a one-way trip.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Interesting Observation: If I switch from Tablet Mode to Desktop Mode, all my problems go away. Runs like a dream now, but a little harder to navigate.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I got bored over the weekend as well and grabbed the esd of x86 home for 10240 from MDL and made an installation for my HP Stream 7. Followed the directions here. Worked like a charm.
One difference after installation was that it picked up wireless hardware with the installation and could log into my MS account right away. After installing the HP drivers everything works smoothly. Can't tell a difference in speed between 8.1 and 10 at the moment. I am pleasantly impressed....

One caveat. Because it's a fresh installation of 10240, the system is not activated (maybe if I had created the iso on the Stream itself possibly). Right now I'm therefore activated via kms. Worst case I call HP after W10 is officially released to get activation key ;)

cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett