Windows 10 on the Stream 7 - any optimisation tips?

alexncfc

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have had my HP Stream 7 for a year now and I love how Windows 8.1 runs on it. In the Summer, I tried Windows 10 (the RTM build at the end of July) and I didn't like how it ran and so went back to 8.1 (I have a system image of 8.1 ready to go back to at any time)

When the November 1511 build of 10 was released, I decided to purchase a 64GB SD card (as I know that space is very limited when trying to upgrade to 10) and then give it another go. However, even though Windows 10 has the same requirements as 7 and 8/8.1 it still seems very sluggish at times. Sometimes it feels ultra responsive! But other times it feels very slow and Windows 8.1 on this tablet is very "fluid" and speedy in my opinion. Also sometimes there seems to be glitches like apps not responding, or the taskbar shortcuts disappearing.

I also prefer the "Start screen" from Windows 8.1 and wish that Microsoft would have just used this as an option rather than making it a vertical scrolling screen in Windows 10. When using the Start screen in Windows 8.1, it was so smooth, but seems so sluggish in Windows 10 - you scroll down and the icons and tiles seem to be blank and loading up as you scroll. All in all, it seems a disappointing experience, and again I am thinking of reverting back to my Windows 8.1 system image like I did in the Summer. Is anyone else running the newest build of Windows 10 on their Stream 7 and satisfied with the performance? Are there any tips that can be given?? All drivers seem to be installed and working correctly (unlike the Summer build, where hardly anything worked at first!)

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Alex

Jiffybag

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I can't say i'm experiencing the same issues. its been pretty slick at all times for me.

is it an 'in-situ' upgrade or a 'delete all and start again' one?

alexncfc

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I can't say i'm experiencing the same issues. its been pretty slick at all times for me.

is it an 'in-situ' upgrade or a 'delete all and start again' one?

Thanks for the reply, JiffyBag.

That's very interesting. I did an in-situ upgrade over 8.1 through Windows Update. I am guessing you did a clean install??

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, JiffyBag.

That's very interesting. I did an in-situ upgrade over 8.1 through Windows Update. I am guessing you did a clean install??

I would like to upgrade my HP Stream 7. Will you be able to post step by step instruction? Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte