Wifi Drops on sleep - Solved it!

Jiffybag

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi All, I've been plagued with a Wifi issue that appears to have affected the Streams, as well as other makes & models (inc Dell, Lenovo, etc) where upon the tablet going to sleep, it switches the wifi off, and when awaking, it refuses to even acknowledge any of the saved networks, and only shows others around the area.

I have tried many different drivers, including those of other manufacturers, trying to find one that prevents my tablet from refusing to reconnect to my Mifi dongle. I decided to try again with my research yesterday (after a break before I threw it out the window) and found a forum post who mentioned that it only affected them when they were using Bluetooth items like a keyboard or mouse.

This got me thinking outside the box (the issue being with the Wifi driver) and looking toward to the Bluetooth driver instead, as they are the same chipset. I went into Device Manager, opened 'System devices' and rightclicked (tap and hold) on the 'Realtek Bluetooth UART Bus Driver', then 'Properties'.

Unlike the wifi driver, this one has a power management tab, take the tick out of the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and tap 'OK', the problem is solved, and the battery life doesn't appear to have taken any sort of noticeable hit in the last 24 hours.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, I've been plagued with a Wifi issue that appears to have affected the Streams, as well as other makes & models (inc Dell, Lenovo, etc) where upon the tablet going to sleep, it switches the wifi off, and when awaking, it refuses to even acknowledge any of the saved networks, and only shows others around the area.

I have tried many different drivers, including those of other manufacturers, trying to find one that prevents my tablet from refusing to reconnect to my Mifi dongle. I decided to try again with my research yesterday (after a break before I threw it out the window) and found a forum post who mentioned that it only affected them when they were using Bluetooth items like a keyboard or mouse.

This got me thinking outside the box (the issue being with the Wifi driver) and looking toward to the Bluetooth driver instead, as they are the same chipset. I went into Device Manager, opened 'System devices' and rightclicked (tap and hold) on the 'Realtek Bluetooth UART Bus Driver', then 'Properties'.

Unlike the wifi driver, this one has a power management tab, take the tick out of the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and tap 'OK', the problem is solved, and the battery life doesn't appear to have taken any sort of noticeable hit in the last 24 hours.

this should be interesting - I've been having issues with my surface 3 - let me test it out today - thank you for the solution

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Great find! This issue has been driving me crazy since I bought the Stream 7. I find it amazing that a power setting for Bluetooth impacts wifi. But, it is what it is.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I works but not 100%. I've seen the issue crop up maybe 2% of the time as opposed to 20-30% of the time before I changed the bluetooth power settings

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually rolled back the wifi driver to the one released in May 2015 and have not had the issue since then.
But I will try to update back to the latest and see how your configuration works out. Thanks!

EDIT: The setting you suggested I turn on was already turned on by default when I updated the driver. Observing..

EDIT 10/3/16 - yea it works great.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss