HP Stream 8 won't reconnect to Bluetooth GPS receiver

paulbkal

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought an HP Stream 8 tablet to use with an in-car off-road navigation program that works best on Windows and was delighted when it did exactly what I needed it to do: connect to my Dual XGPS150A GPS receiver via Bluetooth and enable me to operate my OziExplorer navigation program on maps I have acquired or created.

But now I can't seem to replicate my initial success. I just cannot get the GPS to connect/pair/talk to the tablet. I understand the GPS uses the SPP Bluetooth protocol, whatever that means.

The manual for the Dual XGPS150A contains the following note re a Windows 8 problem, which I used to successfully pair the devices initially:
Important note for Windows 8.1 users: Windows 8.1 has a bug which prevents it from properly communicating with many Bluetooth devices, including the XGPS150A. There is a workaround, but you must have administrator privileges on your Windows machine. Follow these instructions to make your XGPS150A work with Windows 8.1:
1) Open the Registry Editor. (Press the Win + R keys and type ?regedit?, or open a command prompt and type ?regedit?.)
2) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion.
3) In the right pane of the window, double-click on CurrentVersion and change the value from 6.3 to 6.2
4) Restart your machine.
The registry value will actually change itself back to 6.3 after the reboot, but the XGPS150A will now work properly.

Grateful any assistance
Paul

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
you can export the "fixed" key and just click on it when you need it, merging it back in instead of editing everything by hand every time

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but why use an external GPS receiver when the Stream 8 has GPS built-in? (at least the models I'm aware of.)

paulbkal

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Because I couldn't find a model with a built in GPS, despite the commentary on the internet. They simply don't appear to be available in Australia. And I already had the external GPS, and it worked fine the first time. And it suits me to have a separate GPS receiver so that the tablet can be used out of sight of the satellite.

However what I'm learning from internet forums is that they are a very poor substitute for detailed technical knowledge. I have posted this question on several fora and had no useful feedback whatever and several quite useless contributions, such as that from Ashram above, which may well relate to a different post, but it certainly is no help to me in this one.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire