Problem with memory management on HTC 8S

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You forget one thing: Nokia owners are also complaining about the other space! We have like 1,2 gig of other and we're totally full, they have maby 2,4 gigs of other and they are totally filled up. Larger memory doesn't solve anything. You will only face the consequences 2 months later.

Alex Ionas

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
For those that have problems, use the Shrink Storage app, but after you filled the memory and restarted the phone, do not empty it right away, use the phone for about an hour or so, browse the web, search for new apps, open apps, just use the phone, because it will realize it needs memory and frees up quite a big amount of the "other" memory, only after you check that it freed a decent amount, go back to the Shrink Storage up and tap Clean Phone Storage.

Rob Shepherd

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Ive got the same issue with the HTC 8s and now there is a phone update that is 420mb which cant be installed due to phone memory low. Even after removing apps and using Shrink storage i still couldn't get enough memory to install it. So i decided to get on the phone n give HTC a call, i guess not many ppl have done that yet as the guy took all the info from me and informed me that i was the 2nd person today to call in to them regarding the issue. I should hear back from them at some point tomorrow with suggestions on what they can do next for me if anything, or if i need to get in-touch with Microsoft themselves about it. Either way im gonna be chasing them all the way as to me the spec's description for the 8s is misleading at best, so either HTC decided to save money by only giving us 4gb internal memory on purpose or Microsoft failed to let HTC know that there OS would use so much memory for updates and the magical "Other" folder.

Needless to say i'll keep ya all posted when i hear back in the hopes it gets us all what we need. A functional phone we can actually use as intended and advertised. N if not im gonna look into mis-representation of product lmao

craftslocke20

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
had the same problem with my samsung focus windows before, 8gb of internal and 8 gb of external (sd card) well the solution was to integrate both internal and external and came 16gb of total space in one well not exactly 16gb :D iv'e tried with my HTC 8S and ****! it won't work! well they better work on this :D im sure this is going to solve the storage issue :D

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
You CAN NOT install apps on SD card. You only can start installation FROM the SD card, but the apps still install in phone's internal memory.

By the way, the problem is not that the apps are not installed on the memory card. It would be enough if "application data" could be moved. Most often the application itself is quite small, but the application data is what takes most of memory.

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had the exact same problem just got the 8S htc yesterday and i've connected my facebook and microsoft account installed the facebook app and now it says i don't have any memory storage available. on memory settings it says the phone storage system takes up 2gb on 3.61gb and other takes up another 1gb, Is there anyway i can uninstall some of the original apps?

Francis de Fouchier

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know if this suggestion matches the trouble encounter here on 8S
I did many test adding/removing apps and then use Shrink Storage app to see which app release properly or not the storage usesd.

My conclusion is that SkyDrive is not freeing the space used to upload your photos/videos from your mobile.
I did the simple test taking 10 photos, uploading them from the gallery to my skydrive, removing them from the mobile
and from my skydrive. the place of the 10 photos is definitly lost on the mobile.

I also have a lot of doubts about the internal FB use and am not using it any longer.

halfcookie

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, got HTC 8S like for a week and i saw this problem at the first day of using it, so i decided just to uninstall all of the aplication i can replace by using Internet Explorer, becouse there is option "clear cashe" for IE. So don's use facebook, twitter, youtube, gmail, or any other app's wich have mobile www verions.
For me it's 100 per day now, just click "clear" before sleep.

Sorry for my english I know it's kinda rusty and stupid (i'll use some learning apps to improve it, cheers ;)

Alex Ionas

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I fully use my phone, i have a lot of apps installed, at least for my needs and i still have about 400mb free. If you install games i agree than things get a bit off, otherwise i think the space is quite decent. If htc or the next wp8 update brings some options on clearing the "other" storage section i will be really happy since that is the culprit.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
But in case of 4GB phones it would be great if application data could be stored on memory card. The problem is that we won't be able to install any bigger application which operates on large amount of external data (like navigation software). Even now the Navigon warns that it might have problems with 4GB phones due to low memory available (of course even without ANY other applications installed !). It needs 1.1GB of phone memory for maps data. But if it could be moved to the memory card...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism