Problem with memory management on HTC 8S

flierman

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes It looks like it makes a difference, I had about 401 mb free before making the reset. Now I have installed all apps again via SD-card and I have 1 GB free so it seems that it makes quite a difference, 600 mb in my case.

But I am not sure since the most of the space before the reset was "other" and that is supposed to change dynamically sio maybe I had access to the same amount of space before but it showed as "other" instead of "free space"?

I wonder what happens if you install an app and then use it once or twice and then uninstall it, I did that with alot of apps and maybe those take up alot of cache-space and show as "other"?

Here are all the apps I now have with 1 GB free

Truecaller
Primetube
L?nsf?rs?kringar
Locksider+
WPcentral
Whatsapp
SimpleRSS free
Flashback
TuneIn
Connection tiles
Poddradion
Endomondo
TVguiden
Wikipedia
Skydrive
Foursquare
MPAtool
V?der (Swedish weather)
MyBattery
Skydrive

HTC8Sphone

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I had only 200 mb left. Then i did manual install from sd card and now i am at aproximately 930 mb left. Will monitor it to see what will happen in next week.

Florin Nitulescu1

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I have the same problem right now.I can't see anywhere saying SD Card in the "store".Downloaded an app, puted it on the SD, but the phone doesn't seem to see it.
I am begining to get tired with the HTC 8S's problems.One over another...

why does it has to be like this?

just because I bought an entry level phone?!?!

shahidw

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@satyendra and @Florin :

I was facing the same issue. Seems like the phone does not scan the SD card immediately. I dont know if its the phone or the OS.

However restarting the phone and then checking the store should solve your query..

PtitLuc

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
@satyendra and @Florin and shahidw:

I had the same trouble with 2 differend cards.
Waiting hours after copying files and SD card not showing in store.

And today, I can see the SD card in the store!
What fixed it? Yesterday I synchronized music between PC and phone using Windows Multimedia Player, and switched to Airplane Mode during night.

Not very logical, but hope this can help.

pac0

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,
I'm here to share my experience with the memory management of my htc WP 8s and try to find with you a solution at this problem. I apologize in advance for any grammatical mistake, english is not my first language.
after about 3 weeks of use my phone has 994.36MB of free space and the "other" folder is 575,75MB. I've measured the "other" folder for the last 4 days and these are my results:
01/19 : 570,48MB
01/21 : 573,41MB
01/23 : 575,75MB

Before every measurement I clear the browser history.
As you can see the increasing of the folder is minimal in my case and is justified by the email/messages stored and not deleted. All my apps are installed directly from the store, not via sd card.
A summary of my phone usage:
- 1 hour a day of browsing
- a lot of whatsapp
- weather app
- default email app
- news app
- connectivity tiles
- calendar
I've also deleted some htc apps and all the games installed by default. I don't use facebook app or facebook at all on my phone.
As you can see I don't use a lot of apps and my "other" folder grows very slowly, therefore my apps are not storing useless data on the phone.
At this point I started to think that the problem is not whit the memory management of the system itself but is an applications problem. If you are having problem with the "other" folder is maybe because of too many data stored by apps (probably as cache) without the option by the user to delete them or choose to don't save them (Internet Explorer is one exception).
This is only a personal hypothesis, so I would also like you to do tests to see if there are only a few applications in particular that fill your phone memory.

Anyway the possibility to install app or app's data on the SD is crucial for this system and I hope that Microsoft will release and update soon to give us more flexibility on memory management.

Last edited:

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying the HTC 8S but the storage problem is stopping me. To those who suggested and tried the 'SD card installation' solution, does it help?

fiddler69uk

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to ask if Windows is going to fix this sort of a problem so you can run apps from your micro sd card?

totaly agree, this needs sorting and fast other wise windows 8 phone will die, and no one will want one.
Got to say i feel the windows 8 phone, is a very LAME Duck waiting to be blown out of the water ????

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
get the 620 with 8gb internal storage. As this is a big issue for windows phone they should make the specs for the OS a minimum of 8gb of internal storage for windows phones no less.

instantcoffe

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying the HTC 8S but the storage problem is stopping me. To those who suggested and tried the 'SD card installation' solution, does it help?
It worked for almost two weeks, I had like 250Mb left (a luxury on the 8S) but then it all went downhill, I'm now down to like a 100Mb without having installed anything new (and I cleared IE and Bing history and everything else I could). Not sure what happened but I ain't happy about the perspective of resetting the phone again... Last time, some apps wouldn't launch since I had not enough memory left.
Heard HTC issued an update for the 8X and that it fixed some memory leaks, hope the 8S is next.

yellowS

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
somebody know if they'll fix it? (next windows update?) Or there is a "hack" way to purge the "other" memory?

sorry for my bad english :p

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
somebody know if they'll fix it? (next windows update?) Or there is a "hack" way to purge the "other" memory?

sorry for my bad english :p

You need to understand that "other" is the storage used by other apps you installed.

For example, some apps let you download videos into that app. Those downloaded videos are space in the "other". Same goes for any app that let you download things.

Game save data is "other" and just about anything else that is downloaded inside of apps.

So to "purge" the "other" you have to delete the apps that are taking the space.

LBLEIJE

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

Yesterday I saw that my memory was below 150 MB. So i was a little worried. I uninstalled two small apps (P2000 apps, Dutch emergency services) around 5 mb. No effect. Then I tried to install a large app and as you expect, my Phone told me that he was full. Well, OK. Then I rebooted my Phone and right there, out of the blue I had 500 MB of space free. So maby you need to trigger the 'auto'-memory management, because Redmont promised a system that will fill up all your phone's memory with cache, and if you need that memory WP will free it up for you.
Personally I think that this system has a major bug and needs to be triggered.
So please try to install a huge app and let your Phone tell you you have not enough memory. Then reboot and hope for the best :)

Bye bye. ( I hope it works out for you and we all with this amazing Phone!):amaze:

yellowS

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
thanks for you answers!
I know that "other" is for app's data. The problem is that as long as some apps don't allow you to empty their cache I find myself always doing "micromanagement" of apps :D deleting some of them for news ones, deleting and re-installing old one :D

LBLEIJE, ok i gonna try this way :D

ps: yes I love my blue, very blue&sexy, 8s :)

edit: LBLEIJE, can you suggest me some very big apps?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism