Android User buying a 8S.

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
hello everyone,

i'm getting the HTC 8S this week on Wind Mobile. and is my first WP8. i'm actually excited to get this little guy. i love everything about it (minus NFC and no app2sd). other than the few issues ive seen posted here, is this a smart choice to grab this handset?

Alex Ionas

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
i made the switch from android, it is a good phone, feels great, looks amazing and runs smooth, if you are an app freak, it might be a problem, but if you are a decent kind of app fanatic, i say it is ok, i installed about 25 apps and still got about 600mb free, the only problem is the well known "other" storage group for using a lot of memory, but it frees up if you need it, so i don't really worry about storage, it's ok.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd highlight the great WiFi in the 8S - it connects to known networks extremely fast and the receiver sensitivity is also amazing. Overall user experience is great, the thing is if You'll be able to live with it's weaknesses...

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I would get WP8 with at least 8GB of storage, like the Lumia 520 or 620. 4GB in the HTC 8S is very limited. You won't have room for apps.

+1 that!
I have an 820 and feel even 8gb isn't sufficient; not even close. After a couple of months of usage, I didn't have space for Asphalt7 (a must have for any gamer). After resetting and installing just this and a few small apps, I'm down to just 1.x GB again not enough space for say The Dark Knight Rises.

Getting an HTC 8S is like getting a 50" TV that can't play HD - so much potential but almost pointless.

DonnaxNL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm also willing to iSwitch from iPhone 3GS to WP8 and HTC 8s, but the storage...

The Lumia 620 is much better than the 8s, but the design... so ugly. That's a big deal for me.

DonnaxNL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Lol, are you sure? The Lumia 620 have minimal bezel in sides and top. I would even actually say that the HTC 8S looks bland. Or pale..

I like the design of the 8s more than the 620. The Lumia 620 looks so 'phat'. The 8s is nicely rounded on the back. Also is the space between the 'back, start and search'-buttons and the edge of the phone to big.

The Nokia Lumia 620 is the only Lumia in the family I don't like. Look at this:
lumia.png

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i understand the storage is limited, but i will be using a 32GB microSD. so i have my fingers crosses there will be some app2sd support in the future (if not oh well). i also like the size of it and the price tag is very appealing. $338.00 CAD out the door.

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup you will love the Windows Phone 8 experience. A phone that you can rely on everyday. Something you can't say about Android

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i understand the storage is limited, but i will be using a 32GB microSD. so i have my fingers crosses there will be some app2sd support in the future (if not oh well). i also like the size of it and the price tag is very appealing. $338.00 CAD out the door.

If you can I would suggest returning it. There will be no app2sd feature and the 4GB limit is crippling, unless you use it only as a feature phone.

Take a look at the review on AAWP with which I completely agree.

For that price, the L720 or L620 is the much better choice.

t3chnick

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you can I would suggest returning it. There will be no app2sd feature and the 4GB limit is crippling, unless you use it only as a feature phone.

Take a look at the review on AAWP with which I completely agree.

For that price, the L720 or L620 is the much better choice.

for sure no app2sd coming? Only reason I grabbed a class 10 microsd for my ativ s :(

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have 8s and I currently have installed over 40 apps and 90 mb's free, so you are not so limited

Well, ok, it really depends what kind of apps you use. I have a single app that uses 3GB on its own. Also, many apps will use more storage over time as they collect more data. I don't know what apps you use, but assuming you use your device regularly, you are almost sure to encounter storage problems somewhere down the road. You've also given up the ability to store a useful amount of pictures, movies and music locally. I would call that limited.

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, at least for WP8, no, never. WP9 may be different.

what about the "windows blue" update coming this year? if not i don't use many apps, but the selection is there. i wont be having more than 40 apps though. front facing camera for me is not a huge issue, as well as a high resolution camera. for that price i cant go wrong. the reviews iv'e watched and read have nothing but good things to say, other than camera, no front, and the lack of out of the box apps.

also anyone with windows 8 care to share their experience with the WP/W8 integration?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A) what about the "windows blue" update coming this year?
B) i wont be having more than 40 apps though.
C) the reviews iv'e watched and read have nothing but good things to say

A) Delivering app2sd would require either adjustments to WP8's security model or the abandonment of parts thereof. That doesn't really happen between major versions, so no.

B) Like I said, there is no guarantee you will get that many apps. Some have problems getting 10 apps installed. It depends what you use.

C) Then you've only read superficial reviews and most definitely not the one I linked to.

Your choice though. Just trying to help.

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i did read the review, and ive actually gotten the chance to hold one. tbh i actually liked it. the size is great, and the OS seem to of run without any issue. i do see odd moments that it does chug, but not enough to bother me.

just because a phone doesn't have high end specs, or what it should of had, doesn't mean its a bad phone. i do appreciate the advice though :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i did read the review, and ive actually gotten the chance to hold one. tbh i actually liked it. the size is great, and the OS seem to of run without any issue. i do see odd moments that it does chug, but not enough to bother me.

just because a phone doesn't have high end specs, or what it should of had, doesn't mean its a bad phone. i do appreciate the advice though :)

That is all that is important. If you like it, and are aware of the drawbacks, and still think it is a good idea, then go for it. It's your choice.

Just to be clear though, I'm not at all a person who says a phone must have high-end specs, particularly when it comes to WP8. Even the lower end devices tend to run great. I just know a few people who returned the 4S because it didn't work out for them, for exactly the reasons stated in the review.

Anyway, good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo