Why does the memory suck?

SoullessOnyx

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
So I have the HTC 8S and have a memory card for my music but I have downloaded about 4 apps and I am getting a message saying out of memory, something like that.

Literally what is the point in this phone if the memory is terrible?
I would love this phone but the memory is the only thing stopping me from loving it.

Why cant we just save apps to an SD card :/

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well the reason we can't put apps on SD storage is end-user experience. Suppose a large number of first time smartphone buyers (MS largest source of platform growth) grab devices like the 8s because it's so affordable. Next, they all buy class 1 SD cards on amazon, again, because they're so affordable. Now they start loading up on apps. Inevitably, the built in storage runs out and most of their apps end up on the crappy SD card they bought online. Now all their apps take forever to load, and they blame the phone. This kills WP reputation among potential buyers, and before you know it the platform is DOA.

IMO the fault here lies with OEMs that don't put sufficient storage on their devices.

voodoocars

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
What apps have you got to fill up the phone memory? I have a few apps but no games-anything I want I just look up on the internet. I have no issues with the memory on my phone at all. In fact the clear space seems to go up and down on a daily basis. This obsession with apps is crazy :confused:

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem, so did my sister. Temporary storage does not seem to clear properly. The more apps you install/de-install to try out, the worse the situation gets.

After a refresh you have approximately 1.6gb to play with, out of the 4gb RAM. The fix was to write down what apps we wanted first, reset the device (start over) and install them first. Ensure all photos, music, videos are on the SD card. After another month of use I am sitting at 19 applications installed (850mb used) and just under half the storage free.

Orp Cowboy

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Have an HTS 8S.
- music & Videos: 0 b (stuffed away on SD)
- pictures: 14 Mb
- apps: 259 Mb
- other: 980 Mb
- system: 2 GB
- free space: 368 Mb

Conclusion: not even enough space to do a regular phone software update.
It's a total ripp off and somebody should be sueing these guys.
What was on their ******* mids when they launched this product?

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I hope they gonna allow to install apps on class 10 cards...
Cause now this phone is nearlly useless cause of lack of memore and other folder problem.
Currently with 40mbs free and 2GB of other.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
What apps have you got to fill up the phone memory? I have a few apps but no games-anything I want I just look up on the internet. I have no issues with the memory on my phone at all. In fact the clear space seems to go up and down on a daily basis. This obsession with apps is crazy :confused:

Regardless of whatever apps the OP has installed or whether there is an obsession with apps, this issue should have been addressed day one by Microsoft. Its a huge fail on their part

Matt Cliffe

May 18, 2013
Visit site
That post about people buying crap sd cards is THE most complete and utter crap I have ever read. A badly designed feature covered up with a crap excuse. WTF

The reason you cant store apps on your SD card is the closed filesystem used. It has its good points but this is one of the down points of win8 mobile.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope they gonna allow to install apps on class 10 cards...

Not gonna happen.

So I have the HTC 8S... Literally what is the point in this phone if the memory is terrible? Why cant we just save apps to an SD card :/

The HTC 8S was criticised all over the web for not having enough storage space. It's too little storage space to begin with. MS' inability to reliably clean up temporary files or inform us how much storage space each app is using makes it even worse. Sad but true.

The reason you cant store apps on your SD card is the closed filesystem used.

IMHO that doesn't really explain anything either.

There are many reasons MS won't allow apps on SD cards. These are just some of them:
  • An app and it's data are stored together, and the OS must be able to encrypt both if required. Encrypted data must not be readable on any device except the one on which it was encrypted. This contradicts the usage scenarios envisioned for SD cards, as they are meant to be swappable.
  • Storing apps on SD cards would make it easier to illegally side load and/or pirate apps.
  • Allowing apps to install on SD cards would make the device more difficult to use. Many questions pop up that most users wouldn't even think of considering. Should live tiles be removed for apps that are no longer accessible, and how would that make the start screen look? Are background tasks automatically deactivated when the SD card is removed? What should WP do with notifications that arrive when the SD card isn't inserted? All these things would make WP more complicated and it is reasonable to assume that average users wouldn't be able to handle the consequences and most likely blame WP for being unreliable. That isn't good, so MS would prefer to avoid "complicated".
These are good reasons. Consequently, no WP device should ever be released with only 4GB of storage. It's a failed design.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That post about people buying crap sd cards is THE most complete and utter crap I have ever read. A badly designed feature covered up with a crap excuse. WTF

The reason you cant store apps on your SD card is the closed filesystem used. It has its good points but this is one of the down points of win8 mobile.

Android no longer allows it in their newer versions (without rooting, etc.).

purushrut

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
hey maybe it is only htc's problem add other+pictures+appps+system and minus from 4 gb the ans will be the free space you should get try it out nd say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion