HTC 8S Storage Issues

MolAndTheZinahs

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I got my HTC 8S in may along with a 8GB sd card. Recently I have been getting the messages popping up on my screen telling me I am running out of space on my phone. I have changed the pictures and videos settings to make sure they're stored on my sd card. I deleted all the music off my phone and installed all the apps manually, this helped for a few days but now the message pops up again and despite having 6gb free on my sd card I can't take any pictures or update my apps. Deleting my internet history works for about 1 picture and then we again have an issue. I realise from what I have read the HTC 8S has flaws where memory is concerned but does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this issue permanently because otherwise I will have to consider changing my phone which would be a real shame as apart from the app store and this recent issue I really do love it. :cry:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't know how 8S owners are coping with only 4 GB of internal storage considering the OS requires around 2 GB of that and the "Others" folder takes a (un)fair chunk too. Providing that all of your media files are stored on SD the only other thing you can do is to remove applications from the phone and only install those that you use on an almost daily basis. You might want to make sure that you regularly clean out your messages and emails too just to free up a bit more space.
You can also try going to Settings > Storage check and clearing out the temporary files folder. I'm not sure about the 8S but on Lumia phones there is a further option to put downloaded maps onto SD to release even more phone memory.

MolAndTheZinahs

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips I am just about to clear out my temporary files folder. Is there any way I could extend my internal storage eg. take it to a shop? The issue has gotten so bad I can now no longer open apps like whatsapp or the one that runs instagram. (apps I use on a daily basis) I clear out my messages on a daily basis also, it only makes a tiny amount of difference. Ugh.

EDIT: There is no option to clear out a temporary files folder. The control I have over my phone storage never fails to disappoint.
EDIT2: I have just seen an option to update which finally gives some more control over this issue, I'll just delete a few apps and get downloading it, hope it makes a difference as the update itself seems to need more space.

htchate

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I am stuck with the spinning gears on my phone after an update, it has been 12 hours and it is still not responding. What is the workaround for this problem. Right now the phone is useless.

badugu

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
HTC 8S's 4GB of main memory is a crippling limitation, as the other storage gets filled up. The main cause of filled up storage seems to be ghost / temporary files created as / when you decide to synchronize the content of your phone with the cloud, especially photos, as well as files created as you download and read mails and browse the web, or use some applications with large app data requirements.

Microsoft released several updates trying to (partially) solve the problem: The GDR2 update triggers the cleaning of unnecessary temporary files in the moment when the other memory gets 100% filled up. So if you have that version, you can use an application called Shrink Phone Storage, which allocates the remaining free other memory in order to trigger the cleaning process after which you can release back the memory artificially allocated by the application. Nokia has released an other phone memory management software called Storage Check App, but you can not install it on the HTC 8S phone. The Microsoft's GDR3 update finally allows you to see what is stored in the other memory and allows you to delete some kinds of temporary files. However, with less than ca. 800 MB of free other memory you can not update the system of your phone anymore. Even deleting all applications may not be enough to release the other memory. Update error 800710fe is due to insufficient free other memory.

All in all, if you postponed updates for a while, and you are stuck with OS version 8.0.10211.204 or so (GDR1), there is probably no other solution than to factory reset your phone and even think twice about restoring the phone's content (applications) from the cloud. After several months of using the phone you can have tens of applications you don't really need; so it is worth the effort to put down the list of applications and after the factory reset install only those of them that you really intend to use. As an owner of HTC 8S phone you should be very carefull with your choice of applications because the limit of your phone's memory means you can use only a limited number of them. Before installing any applications don't foget to go over the update process first and repeat it several times until you have a message there are no more updates available from Microsoft and HTC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky