HTC 8S is one of the worst phones EVER.

Michael Fuller1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview on my HTC 8S and I read an article on how to get Cortana outside the U.S., and I tried what was said by changing the phone language and region to U.S., rebooted the phone and no Cortana. So, I re-booted 10 times and STILL no Cortana. The HTC 8S and other HTC Windows Phones are really bad! They will not allow non US phones to get Cortana! The HTC 8S is literally one of the worst phones ever! I definitely do NOT recommend anyone to get the HTC 8S.

Scanspeak

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Even if you manage to install it, the 8S was designed by someone who knew nothing about what the purpose of onboard memory is. You`d end up with a phone that has absolutely no space for anything.

I did have this piece of crap too, would never ever buy an HTC in my life again. Initially, I thought the OS is not finished, it appeared the HTC was just a dreadfull piece of hardware - low memory, daily self shut downs, their online support was ok but the repair centers, at least in Eastern Europe are slow. After the first repair I got my phone back with all the badges "Tested" and so on - it did not even recognize any SIM card after a mainboard replacement...So, out of about 10 months, it spent two months in repairs.

szymek48

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I have to agree. I hate this phone. But it's not as bad as it was thanks to the WP 8.1. Now I can install billions of apps and I don't have to worry about the space on my phone.

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC 8S and it worked fine with 8.0, and works even better with 8.1. It cannot be compared to the higher-end versions of Windows phones (8X or the Lumia 9xx, 1xxx series), but I think it was clear when you bought it that it offers a "lower end" experience - the price tag had to have been an indicator, not to mention the specs. NB, Cortana is still beta, and it is naturally limited to the US - they want to fine-tune it for their home market and THEN release it to an international audience.

The low internal memory has been, indeed, annoying, but now, with the 8.1 you can easily overcome this problem as you have to the option of placing the apps and downloads to the SD card.

The 8S was clearly intended to be an intro model for people who wanted to try the WP experience yet didn't want to invest too much money in it. That's the way the market works, I'm afraid.

As far as I'm concerned: the 8S design was, by far, the best of the Windows Phones (and, actually, non WP models as well) when I bought it last fall, and I have still yet to find a handset that appeals to me visually like the 8S did. I'm satisfied with it and I hope that I can find half as good a phone next time when I'm buying a new one.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I have Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview on my HTC 8S and I read an article on how to get Cortana outside the U.S., and I tried what was said by changing the phone language and region to U.S., rebooted the phone and no Cortana. So, I re-booted 10 times and STILL no Cortana. The HTC 8S and other HTC Windows Phones are really bad! They will not allow non US phones to get Cortana! The HTC 8S is literally one of the worst phones ever! I definitely do NOT recommend anyone to get the HTC 8S.

It's not the phone. It's Microsoft that decides not to give non-US users the best toys they have for US. That's all.
On the other hand, the HTC technical support is really bad - this is what I call a mistake.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I love ❤ my HTC 8S with Windows Phone 8.1 with Cortana :p

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

I have Cortana on my non-US 8S. Works great. A lot of other have been able to install it too.

Not sure why your having trouble. The order in which you do things is very important. Everything must be switched to US region before you begin..just fyi. Also, Cortana gets installed as an icon in your app list, not pinned to your start screen.
Also, the region must stay on US for Cortana to be there. It will install but disappear if you change your region back to your local one.

Anyway, good luck.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Even if you manage to install it, the 8S was designed by someone who knew nothing about what the purpose of onboard memory is. You`d end up with a phone that has absolutely no space for anything.

I did have this piece of crap too, would never ever buy an HTC in my life again. Initially, I thought the OS is not finished, it appeared the HTC was just a dreadfull piece of hardware - low memory, daily self shut downs, their online support was ok but the repair centers, at least in Eastern Europe are slow. After the first repair I got my phone back with all the badges "Tested" and so on - it did not even recognize any SIM card after a mainboard replacement...So, out of about 10 months, it spent two months in repairs.

Not true, once 8.1 is installed and you install all your apps back to your SD card you'll have plenty of internal storage left. I have tons of apps installed on mine and I still have 750MB left on my internal.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd totally switch to HTC if they make another phone similar to 8s Design but with 4.7in screen and higher HW specifications
8s one of the most beautiful windows phones I ever seen sadly low end HW spec/high price killed it

Last edited:

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd totally switch to HTC if they make another phone similar to 8s Design but with 4.7in screen and higher HW specifications
8s one of the most beautiful windows phones I ever seen sadly low end HW spec/high price killed it

​The 8X is really nice, but only 4.2in screen. Would work for me but understand many like larger screens. Not a Lumia fan huh? 925/928 is nice.

Michael Fuller1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Well. I have decided that from June 2 2015, I will never, EVER get any HTC Windows Phones again. I will be getting a Nokia Lumia which makes people happy, not angry like with my HTC 8S. It's just the worst phone in existence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077