Hard reset doesn't fix builtin apps closing on touch - phone unsuable

AltheAl

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
My wife's phone has followed a downhill trajectory into brick territory over the last couple of weeks. Originally, Yahoo Mail started closing as soon as you opened it. Re-adding it didn't help. Then a week or so later, the Microsoft account started doing the same thing. Since no email would work, we tried a hard reset - first from backup (same as before), then fresh. Now, even worse, SMS has stopped working too. Phone calls are about all it can do (but obviously without any address book). Weirdly, OneNote was still synching even though a MS account wasn't added!

We've probably reset from scratch over a dozen times now. I've tried installing Skype, then resetting. Installing, then uninstalling it, then resetting. I've tried basically almost every single suggestion that I've found on the net from a couple of years ago when Skype seemed to be causing problems like this. None work. I haven't de-associated the Skype account from the MS account as it's not clear if the credit will be lost or not. In any case, I've tried a hard reset and defined *no* accounts, and still, even SMS won't work.

It would seem the phone is utterly useless at this stage and since nothing appears to exist online to re-image a phone (well, Nokia have some tools .. HTC appear to have nothing). What else can I do? Has anyone else come across this? Words can't express how frustrating ...

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Wpcentral just posted am article today explaining how to use the Nokia recovery tool to recover bricked Nokia WP. You should check it out.

rob284945

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My HTC 8X started having this problem today, does anyone know a solution? I've given up, and am ready to hard reset, but even that doesn't seem to work. When trying to hard reset I'm having problems similar to the "HTC 8X Hard Factory Reset Doesn't work?? Bug?" thread.

When trying to reset through Settings->About->ResetYourPhone, or using the hardware button method below, both just seem to just do a soft reset.

1. Power off the phone
2. Hold the - volume bottom then press power for 2-3 secounds. Once you see a picture on screen release the volume
3. Exclamation Point shows up: Press the following in sequence, Volume Up, Volume Down, Power button, Volume down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6