Is this a good low price phone?

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
As the title says, Is this a good buy phone? They are very cheap where I am and I need to replace my phone.
the Lumia 520 is the same price here and im trying to choose which one to get. I used to have a Samsung Focus WP7 and loved the simple layout it had but hated the flat sound from the music player. If anyone could let me know their thoughts on the 8S, I would be very appreciative.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 520 is likely the better option given its the same price. The 4 GB of the 8S is restricting to say the least, while 8.1 Developer Preview can do much to alleviate the problem, I am not sure it will officially be out for it.
The 520 is much more prominent, much more common, and will likely see better support from both Nokia/MS and other places due to its popularity.
I love the design though.
I don't know firsthand what audio capabilities it has. I know the 520 doesn't have the equalizer the higher end models enjoy.

But by itself and at the end of the day, it is still a usable and capable. phone

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input. With a restricting budget I know any phone i pick up is going to have limitations. I've got a week before I get paid so I'll keep umm and ahhhing til then. :p I see the HTC has promoted itself with the beats brand. But im skeptical the sound will be any better than anything else.

yellowS

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the 8s is better than the lumia 520 just for the design. Beats doesn't really add any value. You're never going to use audio beats setting. It's just a compressor and an equalizer for high frequency. 99% of the cases it ruins the songs.
Thought, I would still buy the 8s over the 520 :D it's gorgeous :D

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
HTC 8S is definitely better than LUMIA 520, so I would go for it. I had exactly the same dillema.
In the end this is what it came to:
1.HTC has a way better screen. Great color reproduction, great viewing angles
2. Better design
3. Construction quality is better than that of LUMIA 520 (It's not even comparable in that regard)
4. Small internal storage is not an issue ever since WP 8.1
5. The camera has flash. (LUMIA doesn't)

In fact I don't see any reason to pick the LUMIA 520 over HTC 8S.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8S is definitely better than LUMIA 520, so I would go for it. I had exactly the same dillema.
In the end this is what it came to:
1.HTC has a way better screen. Great color reproduction, great viewing angles
2. Better design
3. Construction quality is better than that of LUMIA 520 (It's not even comparable in that regard)
4. Small internal storage is not an issue ever since WP 8.1
5. The camera has flash. (LUMIA doesn't)

In fact I don't see any reason to pick the LUMIA 520 over HTC 8S.

Hmm, you've got me convinced now!
The design alone is worth a lot to me as well.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the 8s is better than the lumia 520 just for the design. Beats doesn't really add any value. You're never going to use audio beats setting. It's just a compressor and an equalizer for high frequency. 99% of the cases it ruins the songs.
Thought, I would still buy the 8s over the 520 :D it's gorgeous :D

Beats audio ruins songs, who told you that? Beats audio is not an equalizer, it's amplifier, it gives strength to sound you listen so its alot louder and crispier than on any other phone.
I'm a proud owner of HTC 8s so I know what I'm talking about.

HTC 8s is a way better device than L520. I only doubt that HTC will release official 8.1 update for 8s :D So if you are into WP because of OS, than I suggest you to buy L520.

yellowS

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
it amplifies the volume by compressing the song. Lots of time it ruins the song. IMHO of course. And when you're talking about the music being crispier, it's more or less boosting the high frequencies. Imho, the audiobeats isn't a plus. Still, I love my 8s.

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Picked up a near new 8s for little money. Will have a play with the audio one I have it. I'm just glad I don't need zune like I did with the focus. I run Linux for my PC and it was a war to connect my old phone up and move music files.

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
quite a good score unit was a A620b and not a blemish on the screen. guessing prev owner wasnt a fan of the simplicity of this phone. Not bad for roughtly $50USD. time to see what i should do about win 8 or the dev update stuff.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Picked up a near new 8s for little money. Will have a play with the audio one I have it. I'm just glad I don't need zune like I did with the focus. I run Linux for my PC and it was a war to connect my old phone up and move music files.

Awesome. I own one as well. You will love it.

I will strongly encourage you to install the Preview for Developers app so that you can install 8.1 now. The feature gain is a bonus but the main issue it to get around the paltry 4gb of storage. It may sound like enough now but I promise you, in a month it won't be.

With 8.1 installed you can install a 8 or 16gm micro SD card and save most all of your apps to the card. Right now, using 8 they are all installed to phone memory and 4gb (which is really 2.1gb, check it) is not enough.

Good luck. Great Phone!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar