Where to now?

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
With the news that the 8S isn't going to (or very likely isn't going to, if you don't trust the source) get 8.1 Update 1 where are other 8S owners looking to for a replacement device?

The reasons I went for the 8S over the Lumia 520 in the first place were the flash for the camera and the nice design of the device - as well as being very cheap. The 630/530 go even further away from what I'd like - with them both dropping the physical camera button, as well as not looking nearly as nice and going for on screen buttons.

So I'm probably going to look at a used 920 or something like that - looking to spend about $200 for a phone on Telstra in Australia (via Aldi Mobile, so don't need LTE) - any other suggestions? Or, does anyone think that it'd be better long term to just go for a new device like the 630, which is also in that price range?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I would be tempted to go for something newer - eventually the older x20 series will get the same treatment as the 8S, and you would be stuck in the same position again - if you can do without having a physical camera button. On the plus side though, you can't accidentally launch it.

SefulMeu

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I talked with HTC support and I asked they if 8S will be updated to 8.1, they asked for my IMEI number and told me that update will be released soon. So just think, why would they update it to 8.1 and not giving it also 8.1.1 which is a very minor update.

mjes201

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Sprint with HTC 8XT and I'll probably go to the Samsung ATIV S Neo. If I'm disappointed with that, then I'll have to go in the iPhone department which I thought I would never do! I guess people on Sprint are just waiting for some Nokia devices to show up!

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Sprint with HTC 8XT and I'll probably go to the Samsung ATIV S Neo. If I'm disappointed with that, then I'll have to go in the iPhone department which I thought I would never do! I guess people on Sprint are just waiting for some Nokia devices to show up!

it's not going to happen

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm never buying anything from HTC ever again. IF I remain on Windows Phone after this debacle, I'm going with a Lumia. I'm looking at a 635 right now.

MattW19

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I would be tempted to go for something newer - eventually the older x20 series will get the same treatment as the 8S, and you would be stuck in the same position again - if you can do without having a physical camera button. On the plus side though, you can't accidentally launch it.
I know I've taken a number of photos of my pocket over my time owning the 8S. I like the idea of it - but it's not a total deal breaker.

Was doing a bit of research on the 630, turns out it didn't support the bands I needed - and while I was looking at the 635 - I came across the 636. While mainly it's supposed to be the China specific model - it does all the bands I need (as does the 635), but has 1GB of RAM, which bridges that gap over the 630 - one of the reasons I thought the 920 would be a good buy despite it being older. That extra RAM makes me able to think of it more as a significant jump over my 8S.

I'm thinking orange...

Anshuman Bhadauria

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I have asked HTC and microsoft support. They have said that first its not an official statement from HTC and microsoft (I have shared websites link) and 8s has as equal chances as other devices. All updates are under testing and availability may only differ due to different markets.
Source: HTC UK support and microsoft Windows phone support

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd wait until you hear an official answer from HTC/Microsoft...that one response was pretty sketchy if you ask me...

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if I want to stay with WP. Yeah, I have bought a bunch of apps and this is the only thing that stops me before I quit WP.
Microsoft policy is something that really stops WP expansion in the world - all the best offers, promotions, newest software and additions are released for US only and most often unavailable for the rest of the world. The same is for the XBOX, btw.
This is really sad. Don't they understand that opening to the world outside US would give them A LOT MORE customers ?

The other thing is the lack of support from HTC...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon