Question about the Developer Preview of 8.1

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I installed the developer preview version of WP 8.1 some time ago on my HTC 8S, but after a few weeks I got into real trouble, with first apps not starting and later the phone itself not starting any more. HTC repair service (in Germany) kindly reset the phone to WP 8, but with all the storage problems, and WP 8.1 presumably coming at some point, I now went back to the dev. preview.

Enough back story, now the question: I am currently on OS version 8.10.12382.878, which is WP 8.1. Nevertheless, there is another update waiting to be installed and I don't know what that is supposed to be. So far, my phone works fine, and I'm a bit afraid that it will stop working again with that other update. So, can someone who is also on the preview tell me which version they have and what kind of update that is?

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
With the Dev Preview you can install the latest version of WP8.1.0, which is .899.

I have a friend with an 8X and he says his phone never moved better after the update.

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Great! I'm a bit confused about the WP 8 update history, I guess. I got the impression that the different version numbers, like .878 and .899 are for different devices, not that I could go from one to the other. Plus, the update is pretty big, but if you say it's fine, I'll go ahead and install it this weekend.

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I also have a question about DP
I am an normal phone user (Sms phone whatsapp)
Should i upgrade to win phone 8.1?
Is battery life good on DP?
Thank in advance

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is difficult to judge.
I find it worse on my HTC 8S, however 8.1 makes the phone a lot more useable as more apps can be installed.
My personal view is that 8S users should install 8.1 as the benefits out weigh the negatives.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is difficult to judge.
I find it worse on my HTC 8S, however 8.1 makes the phone a lot more useable as more apps can be installed.
My personal view is that 8S users should install 8.1 as the benefits out weigh the negatives.

I could also add that the phone useability goes up a lot because its memory is almost entirely empty now, as I have all the apps on SD card. A lot of them.

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just to weigh in after I've had the DP 8.1 on my 8S for almost a month now...
Space is not an issue any more, which is great. On the other hand, for some reason I get notifications for new email, but I cannot open my inboxes. When I tap an email live tile, most of the time I get right back to start screen, as with any app that won't open.
I still have to find out if this is due to the OS or the phone itself, but in any case, I'm going to switch to Lumia as soon as I've decided on a model that can replace the 8S with regards to size.

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Just to weigh in after I've had the DP 8.1 on my 8S for almost a month now...
Space is not an issue any more, which is great. On the other hand, for some reason I get notifications for new email, but I cannot open my inboxes. When I tap an email live tile, most of the time I get right back to start screen, as with any app that won't open.
I still have to find out if this is due to the OS or the phone itself, but in any case, I'm going to switch to Lumia as soon as I've decided on a model that can replace the 8S with regards to size.

Not a issue for me I use a lot of email accounts with my HTC all of them are fine no problems so far I think you problem could be fixed with a factory reset if you want you can try it fixes most of problems
My only problem is battery
Maybe I'm just paranoid with having percentage in status bar and looking at it all the time

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Not a issue for me I use a lot of email accounts with my HTC all of them are fine no problems so far I think you problem could be fixed with a factory reset if you want you can try it fixes most of problems
My only problem is battery
Maybe I'm just paranoid with having percentage in status bar and looking at it all the time
Nope, I did a factory reset last Wednesday, didn't help at all. At the official DP forum over at Microsoft, I was told to try a complete reset and then starting with a completely new Microsoft account to check if it's a software or hardware issue. I haven't had time for that yet, but if I'm alone with the problem I'd guess it's something with the hardware.
Didn't have it at the beginning, though, only started 1.5 weeks ago!

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I did a factory reset last Wednesday, didn't help at all. At the official DP forum over at Microsoft, I was told to try a complete reset and then starting with a completely new Microsoft account to check if it's a software or hardware issue. I haven't had time for that yet, but if I'm alone with the problem I'd guess it's something with the hardware.
Didn't have it at the beginning, though, only started 1.5 weeks ago!

If you have high speed connection I suggest you flash RUU and do the upgrades again if its software related (it surely is) it would be gone

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I admit that I have no clue what RUU means, but I think the problem just went away.
I installed Opera mini beta around the time the problems started and just removed it half an hour ago. Since then, just for testing, I was able to access my email every time I tried (3x so far). That was not possible before. I don't see why Opera should have caused this, but right now I'm guessing it did.

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I admit that I have no clue what RUU means, but I think the problem just went away.
I installed Opera mini beta around the time the problems started and just removed it half an hour ago. Since then, just for testing, I was able to access my email every time I tried (3x so far). That was not possible before. I don't see why Opera should have caused this, but right now I'm guessing it did.
Glad you found the way
RUU stands for ROM update utility
It will flash your phone back to 8.0 GDR1 in case you have some software problems I managed to flash one of these after a lots of trying (needed active sync as driver) so I was happy with 8.0 for a while but I'm back on PFD once again and I don't regret it

LilithElina

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Glad you found the way

Yeah, I take that back. It was relief for about half a day, but now I' having the same problems again.

I didn't know I could get back to WP 8.0 on my own, thanks for the hint! I would hate to do that, as it didn't work so well, either, but I'll keep it in mind. Maybe I'll just buy a Lumia and be done with all the HTC troubles...

Alphamaster32

May 7, 2014
Visit site
There is an update available
At last we are not forgotten
Downloading now
Please send your first impressions with the new update here
Mine is still downloading^▽^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members