Windows Phone 8X by HTC

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I like the exposed curved screen. I have dropped my TITAN face down and it slid across the floor. That would probably not scratch gorilla glass, but just makes me nervous still. That purple color photographs terribly. Looks like a formless blob. Edges of their Poly look much worse than Nokia. To me the entire case of the phone looks like one of those gel cases almost. No sharper lines, all very soft looking. And that USB cutout is terrible quality. My TITAN has a similar shape cutout but also has a sleeve inside the cutout as well. Looks much more finished that the 8x. Also why I do not like plastics since the manufacturer can take shortcuts.

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
While it's fair to say that Nokia brought colors to smart phones, I want to say that hTC brings "the color". I don't know it's a Taiwanese thing or not, i just find the blue on both WP8X and WP8S so much better looking than the cyan on L900.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So just realized the 8X is the same height as my TITAN but roughly 4mm narrower and has a .4" smaller screen size? Also .22mm thicker.

While it's fair to say that Nokia brought colors to smart phones, I want to say that hTC brings "the color". I don't know it's a Taiwanese thing or not, i just find the blue on both WP8X and WP8S so much better looking than the cyan on L900.

Its California blue, not Taiwanese blue. :D

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
We all know that 3 or 4 months from launch there will be an 8XL waiting in the wings just like the Titan/Titan2 and the Focus S/Focus 2.

I have no source of information, but my speculation is that Microsoft intensionally keeps it only one phone with each screen-size and price range combination at launch. It's very hard to imagine how they decided who gets what. Perhaps hTC gives 4.7" high-end to Samsung, in exchange with the Signature status, which might be enough to keep hTC from lawsuits from Nokia?

Anyone think perhaps Huawei is going to release a 4" high-end phone at launch? I think it's a concensus that there is no such thing called mid-range or low-end in 4.7/4.8" or above?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Duvi. Looking excitedly for the specs on the 8S to see if it is a nice small screen option for those that want it. One of the little things I look for is the WI-FI signals. Like to know I can get all available bands, and this is the first WP 8 device listing with those listed. Thanks again, top Dawg!!!

HTC fans are happy. Not sure if it sways anyone who isn't a HTC loyalist, but they are good looking devices.

I've never owned an HTC, but the X is a beautiful device. I would definitely rock that.

Samsung - you're up next....

Glim12808

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem with the 8X. I think it's really a very good phone. Nevertheless, I'm buying the 920, locked or unlocked, for my primary phone. But I'm looking for a secondary/backup phone and was hoping the 8S would fit the bill. Unfortunately without a front facing camera, its a fail for me. They should have called it 8V, not 8S.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Going through the specs..and again hate to say it but the 8S is tad bit mediocre...
512 RAM?? And what's the reso?? Why just 16GB?

And 4 & 4.3"??? In this day and age?

Now I'm just rethinking if its Lumia 920 for me..but it all now depends on the pricing...

Sent from my DROID RaZr HD.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Great looking device and solid specs. The problem is...is...that it's an HTC. HTC's customer service is poor. Nokia's is quite the opposite. Considering Nokia is focusing on WP, I see the divide between Nokia's WP customer service HTC's getting wider and wider.

If a consensus emerges that HTC has gotten its customer service house in order, I'll be all over its products.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
On their website, it states the following:

Total storage: 16 GB, available capacity varies
RAM: 1GB

This leads me to believe they will have other capacities, such as a 32gb version. The 16gb will probably be the high-end, lower priced variant.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I just found out and am very dissapointed...

NO 4G ON INTERNATIONAL VERSION!!!!

I'm in Australia and it's confirmed there won't be 4G available outside of the US. That is very disappointing and just as I was looking at waiting to decide on this or the 920 till I got to see both head to head, well decision is now made anyways.

(For the Americans, 4G everywhere else in the world is your LTE)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
While I like the direction HTC is going here, I don't know about jumping in on the 8X. If you're going to throw down you should go all in and I feel like we are revisiting last fall with Mango. We all know that 3 or 4 months from launch there will be an 8XL waiting in the wings just like the Titan/Titan2 and the Focus S/Focus 2.

Some of the choices here scream Early Adopters ONLY. BT2.1, 720p 4.3in screen, No microSD slot, 16gb memory are all indicative of a do over in a few months.

I experienced a similar situation when I bought the mytouch3g when, two months later, they launched the mytouch4g out of the blue with better specs all around for the same price. But since I was on T-Mobile and the choices at the time were limited, I went for it thinking it was the best deal and was ultimately disappointed.

Just sayin...

PS: Don't get me wrong, it's a very attractive device. As a T-Mobile customer who has fallen for the trap before, I think I'm going to wait this round out considering the lack of a certain numbered Lumia not making it to my carrier. I'll be happier than a pig in **** when the 8XL drops, HOPEFULY, on T-Mo.
This is exactly why I won't rush to buy ANY first gen windows 8 device except for maybe the surface. If I get any phone, it will be months later off ebay

O/T but I am just glad people have variety in their phones this time around and are excited. I have no grudge against anyone

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Some of the choices here scream Early Adopters ONLY. BT2.1, 720p 4.3in screen, No microSD slot, 16gb memory are all indicative of a do over in a few months.
How is the 720p 4.3" screen an early adopter choice? It's the highest DPI on a smartphone to date, and HTC had the 720p 4.3" Rezound out almost a year ago (the 8X will have a better SLCD2 screen). Why does bigger automatically mean better?

FYI, the 920 also has no microSD slot. The approach here is reliable flash memory on flagships and a microSD slot to save costs on the lower end; the only reason why the Ativ has a microSD slot is because it is a repurposed device. And the last time I checked, the 16GB GSIII and iPhone 4S are best sellers.

Chazz

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the HTC titan, I'd love to be interested in the 8x but I'll have to pass for Nokia's offering. I'll keep a close eye on HTC's support and commitment to the platform during the 8x's reign to see if I can go back to HTC.

Both the Nokia and HTC 8x are great phones, but that Nokia support and commitment is unmatched at this time.

One thing I will do though, is have my sister buy the 8x if the jack is also boosted by their dedicated amp as she uses her phone for music playback through her car speakers all the time. If this will give her better quality then it'll be worth it for her. Just not me.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
On their website, it states the following:

"Available capacity varies"

This leads me to believe they will have other capacities, such as a 32gb version. The 16gb will probably be the high-end, lower priced variant.

I think you're wrong. I'd say with near certainty that that means that available capacity after the OS install will vary from the 16GB number.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
8x has all the specs that I am looking for or could need for my next phone. HD Display, large battery, Nice Camera both rear and front. no sd card, but, I could live with 16gb.

If pricing off contract is in my range then it will be this over the Nokia 820 and HTC 8s..

Was leaning toward 820, but, 8x has all the right stuff..pricing is what matters to me..

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
How is the 720p 4.3" screen an early adopter choice? It's the highest DPI on a smartphone to date, and HTC had the 720p 4.3" Rezound out almost a year ago (the 8X will have a better SLCD2 screen). Why does bigger automatically mean better?

While I understand that it is a quality device, my point is that they chose to hold back purposely so that in a few months they drop a monster with everything in it that people wanted in the 8X. As I said in my first post, this is something that HTC is specifically guilty of on Android and Windows Phone.

FYI, the 920 also has no microSD slot. The approach here is reliable flash memory on flagships and a microSD slot to save costs on the lower end; the only reason why the Ativ has a microSD slot is because it is a repurposed device. And the last time I checked, the 16GB GSIII and iPhone 4S are best sellers.

Again, the old saying is to put your best foot forward, not your second best.

Ultimately I see HTC is trying to milk the true fans and some new people with this seemingly top of the line device when they will under cut it with an 8XL in a few months. Samsung, while unoriginal, is firing with both barrels on the ATIV S in nearly all facets of the device. I've never owned a Samsung, but what I've seen has made me decide to wait at least a month before deciding.

Keep in mind that the 920 is my favorite, with the 8X a second just for the style factor and good specs.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that really pains me is the 16GB. I have a Samsung Focus S and of the 16GB (14 really) I only have 1.6GB free. I have very little music on their, some podcasts which rotate out each week, a few photos... Basically not much of anything and yet it adds up somehow. Given the enhanced audio features on the phone--assuming they actually make a difference--you'd think they'd want to give folks more space for music.

I still might get it, but if the L920 is available on T-mobile, I'll go for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12