Windows Phone 8X by HTC

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
16GB IS less, specially when our competitor is giving 32. And also, is skydrive's 7GB included??

Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
While I understand that it is a quality device, my point is that they chose to hold back purposely so that in a few months they drop a monster with everything in it that people wanted in the 8X. As I said in my first post, this is something that HTC is specifically guilty of on Android and Windows Phone.
On what? The only valid point you listed was 16GB, but even that is not a dealbreaker for most. A memory upgrade does not constitute a "monster" in comparison to the 8X.

Again, the old saying is to put your best foot forward, not your second best.
Expandable storage is bad user experience. Useful, but a bad experience. You're going to find yourself wondering why stuff loads so much slower on your device, and then you'll realise it's because it's on the microSD. There's going to a partitioning mess.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I understand that it is a quality device, my point is that they chose to hold back purposely so that in a few months they drop a monster with everything in it that people wanted in the 8X. As I said in my first post, this is something that HTC is specifically guilty of on Android and Windows Phone.

Again, the old saying is to put your best foot forward, not your second best.

Ultimately I see HTC is trying to milk the true fans and some new people with this seemingly top of the line device when they will under cut it with an 8XL in a few months. Samsung, while unoriginal, is firing with both barrels on the ATIV S in nearly all facets of the device. I've never owned a Samsung, but what I've seen has made me decide to wait at least a month before deciding.

Keep in mind that the 920 is my favorite, with the 8X a second just for the style factor and good specs.

Considering how rough of a time HTC is having with their sales right now, do you really think they can afford to hold off on releasing their best product for the holiday buying season? While there's inevitably some other products in the pipeline, I highly doubt they're trying to burn the early adopters, especially considering the fact that Microsoft does regulate hardware to a certain degree to ensure a great user experience with its OS.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If the 8X is a "deliberately crippled device," I'd love to see the "uncrippled, no holds barred" one.

8X is a product engineered for a deliberate purpose -- mass adoption with enough power to eliminate spec comparison criticism, while keeping prices low and availability across carriers high.

People who want the absolute fastest and best should buy the Lumia 920 when it ships. It will be faster and better. It will also likely be more expensive, and only available on one carrier (in the USA anyway).

Most people don't buy the best. They buy "very good." And in the case of smartphones, many buy "good enough," especially price-sensitive customers (hence the 8S).

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I think you're wrong. I'd say with near certainty that that means that available capacity after the OS install will vary from the 16GB number.
Probably right. Read that wrong last night. Was so tired. Lol.

Edit: In fact, I was so tired, I didn't even notice it said the same for the 8S. Lol.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Looks like HTC color is matte as opposed to Nokia's glossy.

Matte is so much better for me (like the one-x). Glossy feels cheap plastic. But then again, I haven't hold them in person.

Can't wait to see them in store and compare them next to each other.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Is the 8X the so called Zenith or can we expect another release from HTC?
Im getting confused now, and if it isn't, then I cant understand why they didn't anounce the Zenith as well?

chillblue68

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
SO confused!!! 8X vs 820

The 8x has the exact design I want but the 820 has a removable battery and nokia transit. I literally need these things to survive and go where ineed to go where I live(san francisco). Does anyone know if the 8x is getting the whole suite of nokia maps? or just drive. Because if the later is the case... than ive got to go with the lower end 820

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love the 8X, the 16GB kind of kills it for me. I want to carry around my music and my collection is pushing the 12-13GB mark. Crossing my fingers for a 32GB option later on.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm falling in love with this device.

I got a question. I have all my music on Skydrive ( I have the 25gigs), can I just stream that music on my Windows Phone 8? Like naturally? (not ghetto third party apps)

Because I'm planning on getting truly unlimited 4G on T-mobile anyway ;)

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
What's Nokia got way over the X? Same processor power, cameras to be decided(I don't trust Nokia after the 900 incident). All Nokia has is a bigger screen and a bit more memory. Samsungs only edge is a huge screen but sammys design sux.

I wouldn't say the Samsung design sucks. It's actually a more unique look in my opinion with the nice looking bumper grill.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's why they make so many different phones.
4-4.3 max is my screen preference
I won't notice the 60hz difference
I don't take many pics
X has expandable memory, 920 doesn't
I'm usually using my phone while it charges. Wireless charging, do not want.

Also, the 920 is a BRICK.

As they say, to each their own. Bottom line is we will both be happy.

The 8x is taller than the 920 and almost as thick. If the 920 is a brick, so is the 8x. Which is even worse considering the screen is smaller. Pound for pound the 8x is the biggest brick of them all. The Lumia 900 used to have that crown.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about the performance specs: why are the physical dimensions of the phone as big as a Titan but with only 4.3" of screen size?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The 8x is taller than the 920 and almost as thick. If the 920 is a brick, so is the 8x. Which is even worse considering the screen is smaller. Pound for pound the 8x is the biggest brick of them all. The Lumia 900 used to have that crown.

But the the 920 weighs 50% more than the 8X. So they're both "bricks" in the sense that a ceramic brick and a foam brick are both "bricks" ;)

Not saying the 920 is too heavy to be desirable...as my sig notes, it's my first-choice WP8 phone. But let's not kid ourselves...it's significantly heavier than the 8X.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
On what? The only valid point you listed was 16GB, but even that is not a dealbreaker for most. A memory upgrade does not constitute a "monster" in comparison to the 8X.

Expandable storage is bad user experience. Useful, but a bad experience. You're going to find yourself wondering why stuff loads so much slower on your device, and then you'll realise it's because it's on the microSD. There's going to a partitioning mess.

I don't deny the attraction of the 8X. It's an attractive device. There is no question that HTC has done a good job. That is not the point I'm getting at. I'm saying that they held back in certain areas purposely to leave an opening for people wanting a larger screened device. I happen to be one of those people.

The real reasoning here is probably that HTC wants to sell these devices to as many people as possible. Most people wont be able to resist if they're upgrading or like the OS itself. After they get the exposure and (hopefully) glowing reviews, they'll double down with the "big brother" model with the same or similar design with everything that's missing from the 8X, such as BT4.0, 720p+ resolution, 4.7' or 4.8" in display, a larger battery, and at least a 32gb option.

Even though I know this, though, the more I look at the 8X the more I feel like I can't wait. That's a simple testament to the style of the device alone. I'm on T-mobile with my contract up in August of next year and I have one pending upgrade on my account. My only choices until this "Zenith" device will be the 8X/S, the 820, and maybe the ATIV S.

I guess what this all really means is that it's good to be a Windows Phone fan because already we have a nice selection of devices, with a few mysterious one's surely hiding behind the scenes waiting for consumer response to this wave of WP8 devices.

Considering how rough of a time HTC is having with their sales right now, do you really think they can afford to hold off on releasing their best product for the holiday buying season? While there's inevitably some other products in the pipeline, I highly doubt they're trying to burn the early adopters, especially considering the fact that Microsoft does regulate hardware to a certain degree to ensure a great user experience with its OS.

I think that HTC's troubles right now are the direct reason for this strategy. No doubt two models of phones are cheaper to mass produce than three at one time. It makes sense to me to make as much money off of these two devices and guage customer response. This will surely dictate the speed at which at Zenith/Titan III will emerge. The only bad part of this is that if WP8 continues to perform as it does now, we may not see those larger devices from HTC for a while.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb