Why the HTC 8X will be my next windows phone...

lolken

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I want to see how the L920 handles sound.. the comparison chart says it has "Dolby" but i haven't been able to find any info that goes into detail.

also the 8X takes pictures in succession very quickly based on the video i saw on the windows phone blog from ben " the pc guy".

If the sound is tons better, and the camera works faster.. it could make pureview more of a non issue. (Pureview is the main reason i want the phone.. the other stuff is nice but not NEEDED for me)

Then the question would be.. can i live without Nokia's awesome service and Apps ?

djca

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
For me, HTC still has a lot to do to convince me that they are as fully invested into the Windows Phone platform on the same level as Nokia. Once they can trot out press releases like this one from Nokia, then maybe I'll change my mind.

So in the end, I am proud to say, My next phone will definitely be...the HTC 8X. I even love how they have embraced "windows 8 language" and made their hub Sense esque with windows flavor., That one touch alone shows me that HTC is going back to the days of WIndows Mobile, and they are going to be just as much a premier partner to MS as Nokia is. And for that....Im excited. Im even planning on making my start screen just as HTC shows it in pics, with its sense clock proudly on top..Anyone else feel the same???

I'll have to disagree. That use of a clock on that large live tile is not exactly the best use of live tiles. HTC using that in their product images makes me think that they still don't fully get the idea. The current time is always displayed in the Windows Phone status bar, when the Start screen is displayed. And the current time is also displayed on the lock screen. Even Microsoft has the good sense to not show the time in the status bar while the lock screen is on, because it's redundant --- which is the case with that clock tile.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been paying attention to every bit of Windows phone news, every since I was in the market for a new smartphone. Being on Verizon, my only choice was the HTC Trophy, but with Verizon's horrible 3g speeds, and realizing the device I was about to get was already 7 months old(original release 2010 overseas) I waited out my contract and jumped on the absolutely amazing Focus S smartphone when it was released in November 2011. Since then, I have been one happy, happy Samsung owner and I had no intentions whatsoever of going with any other OEM when WP8 dropped. That has since changed....

HTC has really delivered a device that screams ME. Those iconic tile colors(I even have a LIME cover for my Focus S that I use occasionally) for the device, the 4.3 inch screen, The Beats Audio, the gorilla glass, HD screen, Camera, you name it, I want it!!! I didn't think anything could taint the love I have for my Samsung but the more I look at this device, the more my desire is fueled. I was a huge HTC fan and originally, I wanted a Titan for my device! I was sure of it.... but alas, it was just too big for my lifestyle. I want a device I can barely feel in my pocket, light weight, and one Im fully capable of using one handed. I was excited for the 820 but when I read it didn't include gorilla glass, It was a huge letdown. My Focus S has stood the test of time, taking everything I have thrown at it, and the display is just as gorgeous as it was day one. Other phones Ive owned without it, yeah, not so much. And the 920, quite a spectacular device, but again, we come at the common crossroads with phones today...size. I just cant see myself walking around with such a large device. It just doesn't suit my lifestyle, Im far too active to realistically use a device so heavy and bulky, and primarily, I use my device as my all in one device, especially for music a the gym...which brings me to why Im over the moon with the HTC 8X....beats audio.

I use my phone a lot for music, It has completely replaced my zune since the days of the KIN and finally having a device that will pump out some serious sounds....SOLD!!! Some of you may want the best cam, some may want the best display, I want the best music and HTC is giving that to me in the exact package I crave. They have finally showed to me that they are taking WIndows Phone serious, and honestly, there is nothing any other OEM could offer me now that would sway me otherwise. I think Nokia is amazing, and offers some fantastic apps, but in all honesty, Microsoft gives me everything I need. I use Boing Navigation religiously, there are several transport apps in the marketplace, and nokia music means nothing with you have the power of ZUNE.(xbox music to be)

So in the end, I am proud to say, My next phone will definitely be...the HTC 8X. I even love how they have embraced "windows 8 language" and made their hub Sense esque with windows flavor., That one touch alone shows me that HTC is going back to the days of WIndows Mobile, and they are going to be just as much a premier partner to MS as Nokia is. And for that....Im excited. Im even planning on making my start screen just as HTC shows it in pics, with its sense clock proudly on top..Anyone else feel the same???
@infamousdaveman took the words right out of my mouth...

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if the OP realizes this or not but I am going to repeat this in every thread regarding size anyways just to get the message out.

The HTC 8x is not a small phone just because the screen is 4.3 inches.

I have owned an Xperia S and the GS3 is by far less noticeable in the pocket and the Xperia S is much smaller than the HTC 8x overall. Just some food for thought.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
For me I feel exactly the same. I'm moving from a blackberry bold 9900. My upgrade is due at the end of the month, here in the UK. I've been following the releases of various new windows 8 phones for a few weeks now. I liked the Ativ S, but it looks like it would scratch easily. Then the Lumia 920 came out and I did like it - it is an amazing phone! But for me it is simply too heavy and big, and I'm not a fan of really big screen sizes, I'm coming from a blackberry remember! I thought fine, I'll just get it when it comes out, until I find out that Everything Everywhere are apparently signing a exclusive deal with Nokia. I'm on O2. So to see yesterday the new HTC 8X in that amazing green/yellow it blew me away. The screen for me sits in the 'just right' category. I don't drive so Nokia maps would mean nothing to me. That city lens app just looks like wikitude and I would never use that either. I use my phone to text, call, browse the net when bored, read emails, take a few photos and listen to music. Listening to music is the biggest thing for me. Meaning this phone is perfect. I've never had any Beats Audio equipment and this would be a good way to experience what is on offer. The phone just stands out. Whether you love it or loathe it, it catches your eye regardless. I think the glass / aluminium has been overdone. People are only going to buy a plastic case anyway and ruin the design of the iPhone for example. This new 8X has already done that part for you. The form factor is perfect for what I need or want in a device for the next 2 years. I am definitely going to wait until November to get my hands on one of these phones. I think they look amazing.

I agree, pretty nice looking phone. I'm leaning that way myself.

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if the OP realizes this or not but I am going to repeat this in every thread regarding size anyways just to get the message out.

I have owned an Xperia S and the GS3 is by far less noticeable in the pocket and the Xperia S is much smaller than the HTC 8x overall. Just some food for thought.
My Current phone, the Focus S, seems pretty perfect in size to me, 4.96 x 2.63 x .33, the HTC 8x is 5.20 x 2.6 x .39, so its taller and a bit thicker but with the cover I currently use, my Focus S is pretty much exactly the same dimensions, abient a lil wider, so Its PERFECT for what I view as pocketable. Nokia 920 is 5.12 x 2.78 x .42. They are very close in size, but being thicker and wider just makes it difficult to use one handed, which is what I encountered with the Titan. But I will defianltey give both a hard look before I decide. But for me, pocketable is crucial and one handed operation is a must.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The thing that bugs me about HTC is the lack of support. rather than give a firmware update they toss out another device instead. where as Nokia is right on fixes without all the bull****. they just get it done right away effectively they fully support there products I don't see that in HTC. So for me I'll have to wait and see. When WP7 came out I went right out bought this HD7 which had to be replaced 4#times I will not make the same mistake twice.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have only been satisfied with HTC smartphones in my past...

HTC Shadow, HTC G1, and HTC HD7...

I hated the Samsung I have had and the Nokia feels no where near as solid as my HD7 did, I gave Nokia a chance and I wish them the best, but HTC has my vote...

Plus...HTC is selling the 8X in blue

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

This. The 8x may be significantly lighter than the 920, but it's taller with a smaller screen.

IamJonso

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. What people fail to notice is that the HTC 8X has a smaller screen than the Lumia 920, but is actually taller in size. It's even taller than the 4.7 inch HTC Titan.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Honestly id get the Nokia 820 over the 8x on verizon since the 920 seems to be out of the picture.

the music is a big deal for me but the beats by dre sound isnt that much of a seller to me. Nokia has the support, the wireless charging, and exclusive apps and feature. The htc trophy i have now barely had any support or htc updates . i was sold on the 920 but now it seems i might have to go with the 820 if verizon cant pull the 920

the 8X only has 16 gb of memory no way to expand it while the 820 has a sd card slot and i think it comes with 16gb of memory correct me if im wrong

that alone makes it the better choice for me added with Nokia's support u cant go wrong with the 820

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was planning on getting the 920, but since it's not coming to Verizon I'll get the 8X. I'm not interested in the Ativ because Samsung usually doesn't do quite as well on reception as HTC and Nokia and I live in an area where reception isn't that great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion