10-07-2012 03:52 PM
33 12
tools
    For me I feel exactly the same. I'm moving from a blackberry bold 9900. My upgrade is due at the end of the month, here in the UK. I've been following the releases of various new windows 8 phones for a few weeks now. I liked the Ativ S, but it looks like it would scratch easily. Then the Lumia 920 came out and I did like it - it is an amazing phone! But for me it is simply too heavy and big, and I'm not a fan of really big screen sizes, I'm coming from a blackberry remember! I thought fine, I'll just get it when it comes out, until I find out that Everything Everywhere are apparently signing a exclusive deal with Nokia. I'm on O2. So to see yesterday the new HTC 8X in that amazing green/yellow it blew me away. The screen for me sits in the 'just right' category. I don't drive so Nokia maps would mean nothing to me. That city lens app just looks like wikitude and I would never use that either. I use my phone to text, call, browse the net when bored, read emails, take a few photos and listen to music. Listening to music is the biggest thing for me. Meaning this phone is perfect. I've never had any Beats Audio equipment and this would be a good way to experience what is on offer. The phone just stands out. Whether you love it or loathe it, it catches your eye regardless. I think the glass / aluminium has been overdone. People are only going to buy a plastic case anyway and ruin the design of the iPhone for example. This new 8X has already done that part for you. The form factor is perfect for what I need or want in a device for the next 2 years. I am definitely going to wait until November to get my hands on one of these phones. I think they look amazing.
    I agree, pretty nice looking phone. I'm leaning that way myself.
    09-25-2012 11:59 PM
    I am not sure if the OP realizes this or not but I am going to repeat this in every thread regarding size anyways just to get the message out.

The HTC 8x is not a small phone just because the screen is 4.3 inches.

I have owned an Xperia S and the GS3 is by far less noticeable in the pocket and the Xperia S is much smaller than the HTC 8x overall. Just some food for thought.
    My Current phone, the Focus S, seems pretty perfect in size to me, 4.96 x 2.63 x .33, the HTC 8x is 5.20 x 2.6 x .39, so its taller and a bit thicker but with the cover I currently use, my Focus S is pretty much exactly the same dimensions, abient a lil wider, so Its PERFECT for what I view as pocketable. Nokia 920 is 5.12 x 2.78 x .42. They are very close in size, but being thicker and wider just makes it difficult to use one handed, which is what I encountered with the Titan. But I will defianltey give both a hard look before I decide. But for me, pocketable is crucial and one handed operation is a must.
    09-26-2012 03:30 PM
    The thing that bugs me about HTC is the lack of support. rather than give a firmware update they toss out another device instead. where as Nokia is right on fixes without all the bull****. they just get it done right away effectively they fully support there products I don't see that in HTC. So for me I'll have to wait and see. When WP7 came out I went right out bought this HD7 which had to be replaced 4#times I will not make the same mistake twice.
    09-27-2012 07:46 PM
    I have only been satisfied with HTC smartphones in my past...

HTC Shadow, HTC G1, and HTC HD7...

I hated the Samsung I have had and the Nokia feels no where near as solid as my HD7 did, I gave Nokia a chance and I wish them the best, but HTC has my vote...

Plus...HTC is selling the 8X in blue
    09-28-2012 09:02 PM
    I am not sure if the OP realizes this or not but I am going to repeat this in every thread regarding size anyways just to get the message out.

I have owned an Xperia S and the GS3 is by far less noticeable in the pocket and the Xperia S is much smaller than the HTC 8x overall. Just some food for thought.
    This. The 8x may be significantly lighter than the 920, but it's taller with a smaller screen.
    IamJonso likes this.
    09-28-2012 09:14 PM

Agreed. What people fail to notice is that the HTC 8X has a smaller screen than the Lumia 920, but is actually taller in size. It's even taller than the 4.7 inch HTC Titan.
    09-29-2012 04:08 PM
    Honestly id get the Nokia 820 over the 8x on verizon since the 920 seems to be out of the picture.

the music is a big deal for me but the beats by dre sound isnt that much of a seller to me. Nokia has the support, the wireless charging, and exclusive apps and feature. The htc trophy i have now barely had any support or htc updates . i was sold on the 920 but now it seems i might have to go with the 820 if verizon cant pull the 920

the 8X only has 16 gb of memory no way to expand it while the 820 has a sd card slot and i think it comes with 16gb of memory correct me if im wrong

that alone makes it the better choice for me added with Nokia's support u cant go wrong with the 820
    10-06-2012 08:39 PM
    I was planning on getting the 920, but since it's not coming to Verizon I'll get the 8X. I'm not interested in the Ativ because Samsung usually doesn't do quite as well on reception as HTC and Nokia and I live in an area where reception isn't that great.
    10-07-2012 03:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD