Why the HTC 8X will be my next windows phone...

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been paying attention to every bit of Windows phone news, every since I was in the market for a new smartphone. Being on Verizon, my only choice was the HTC Trophy, but with Verizon's horrible 3g speeds, and realizing the device I was about to get was already 7 months old(original release 2010 overseas) I waited out my contract and jumped on the absolutely amazing Focus S smartphone when it was released in November 2011. Since then, I have been one happy, happy Samsung owner and I had no intentions whatsoever of going with any other OEM when WP8 dropped. That has since changed....

HTC has really delivered a device that screams ME. Those iconic tile colors(I even have a LIME cover for my Focus S that I use occasionally) for the device, the 4.3 inch screen, The Beats Audio, the gorilla glass, HD screen, Camera, you name it, I want it!!! I didn't think anything could taint the love I have for my Samsung but the more I look at this device, the more my desire is fueled. I was a huge HTC fan and originally, I wanted a Titan for my device! I was sure of it.... but alas, it was just too big for my lifestyle. I want a device I can barely feel in my pocket, light weight, and one Im fully capable of using one handed. I was excited for the 820 but when I read it didn't include gorilla glass, It was a huge letdown. My Focus S has stood the test of time, taking everything I have thrown at it, and the display is just as gorgeous as it was day one. Other phones Ive owned without it, yeah, not so much. And the 920, quite a spectacular device, but again, we come at the common crossroads with phones today...size. I just cant see myself walking around with such a large device. It just doesn't suit my lifestyle, Im far too active to realistically use a device so heavy and bulky, and primarily, I use my device as my all in one device, especially for music a the gym...which brings me to why Im over the moon with the HTC 8X....beats audio.

I use my phone a lot for music, It has completely replaced my zune since the days of the KIN and finally having a device that will pump out some serious sounds....SOLD!!! Some of you may want the best cam, some may want the best display, I want the best music and HTC is giving that to me in the exact package I crave. They have finally showed to me that they are taking WIndows Phone serious, and honestly, there is nothing any other OEM could offer me now that would sway me otherwise. I think Nokia is amazing, and offers some fantastic apps, but in all honesty, Microsoft gives me everything I need. I use Boing Navigation religiously, there are several transport apps in the marketplace, and nokia music means nothing with you have the power of ZUNE.(xbox music to be)

So in the end, I am proud to say, My next phone will definitely be...the HTC 8X. I even love how they have embraced "windows 8 language" and made their hub Sense esque with windows flavor., That one touch alone shows me that HTC is going back to the days of WIndows Mobile, and they are going to be just as much a premier partner to MS as Nokia is. And for that....Im excited. Im even planning on making my start screen just as HTC shows it in pics, with its sense clock proudly on top..Anyone else feel the same???

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been a huge HTC fan dating back to the days well before they sold under their own name. I also loved my Inspire 4g.

That said, HTC has terrible customer service and is very slow to release updates. Ask anyone that owns a TITAN.

So, even though I might prefer their design over Nokia's, I'll stay with Nokia--Nokia's customer service is at entirely opposite end of the spectrum.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been a huge HTC fan dating back to the days well before they sold under their own name. I also loved my Inspire 4g.

That said, HTC has terrible customer service and is very slow to release updates. Ask anyone that owns a TITAN.

So, even though I might prefer their design over Nokia's, I'll stay with Nokia--Nokia's customer service is at entirely opposite end of the spectrum.

This is exactly why I'll get a Nokia.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love the looks of the HTC and Beats Audio is really enticing. That being said there's a huge change I get the ATIV, Samsung seems to had hit their stride, they know what to do.

dean5778

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
For me I feel exactly the same. I'm moving from a blackberry bold 9900. My upgrade is due at the end of the month, here in the UK. I've been following the releases of various new windows 8 phones for a few weeks now. I liked the Ativ S, but it looks like it would scratch easily. Then the Lumia 920 came out and I did like it - it is an amazing phone! But for me it is simply too heavy and big, and I'm not a fan of really big screen sizes, I'm coming from a blackberry remember! I thought fine, I'll just get it when it comes out, until I find out that Everything Everywhere are apparently signing a exclusive deal with Nokia. I'm on O2. So to see yesterday the new HTC 8X in that amazing green/yellow it blew me away. The screen for me sits in the 'just right' category. I don't drive so Nokia maps would mean nothing to me. That city lens app just looks like wikitude and I would never use that either. I use my phone to text, call, browse the net when bored, read emails, take a few photos and listen to music. Listening to music is the biggest thing for me. Meaning this phone is perfect. I've never had any Beats Audio equipment and this would be a good way to experience what is on offer. The phone just stands out. Whether you love it or loathe it, it catches your eye regardless. I think the glass / aluminium has been overdone. People are only going to buy a plastic case anyway and ruin the design of the iPhone for example. This new 8X has already done that part for you. The form factor is perfect for what I need or want in a device for the next 2 years. I am definitely going to wait until November to get my hands on one of these phones. I think they look amazing.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For me a toss up 8X or ATIV the L820 is out with no gorilla glass. Oh and yes I am not on AT&T so the L920 is out as well.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
What is the advantage of Gorilla Glass 2 over Gorilla Glass?

"Corning Gorilla Glass 2 enables up to a 20 percent reduction in glass thickness, while maintaining the industry-leading damage resistance, toughness, and scratch resistance customers have come to expect from the world?s most widely deployed cover glass. The thinner Gorilla Glass 2 enables slimmer and sleeker devices, brighter images, and greater touch sensitivity. These benefits can provide electronics manufacturers with superior design flexibility as they address consumer demand for increasingly high-performing, touch-sensitive, and durable mobile devices."

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | CORNING UNVEILS NEW GORILLA? GLASS 2

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I understand what your saying but you cant judge HTC on their previous support for their windows phones...We windows phone people have been but a blip on the radar for all these OEMs...and Nokia, all they have is windows phone so of course they are going to fully support it and go above and beyond...with WIndows Phone 8 and exciting devices like this, do you really think HTC would have done a redesign from the ground up only to simply drop any and all support??? I dont think so....with the failure of the One series and Samsungs stranglehold on ANdroid, HTC is going to really push their windows phones for once(imo)....honestly, how many commercials did you see for the Titan? Or Titan 2? MS is going to make updates alot smoother going forward so we dont have anythign to worry about, no matter what you choose, you will get the support you need.

Honestly, look at all the issues the Lumia 900 had and yes, good for nokia for backing up the device and pushing out big fixes but honestly, I havent had any issues with my samsung and my mom has had zero issues with her Trophy so I dont get the whole "lack of support" arguement. If they make a top notch device, then support is pretty pointless, and as far as updates, look at your carrier!!! They have been the ones screwing us....so I have no fear going with any OEM, Im buying the WINDOWS experience and I get that no matter what I choose....

infamousdaveman

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For me I feel exactly the same. I'm moving from a blackberry bold 9900. My upgrade is due at the end of the month, here in the UK. I've been following the releases of various new windows 8 phones for a few weeks now. I liked the Ativ S, but it looks like it would scratch easily. Then the Lumia 920 came out and I did like it - it is an amazing phone! But for me it is simply too heavy and big, and I'm not a fan of really big screen sizes, I'm coming from a blackberry remember! I thought fine, I'll just get it when it comes out, until I find out that Everything Everywhere are apparently signing a exclusive deal with Nokia. I'm on O2. So to see yesterday the new HTC 8X in that amazing green/yellow it blew me away. The screen for me sits in the 'just right' category. I don't drive so Nokia maps would mean nothing to me. That city lens app just looks like wikitude and I would never use that either. I use my phone to text, call, browse the net when bored, read emails, take a few photos and listen to music. Listening to music is the biggest thing for me. Meaning this phone is perfect. I've never had any Beats Audio equipment and this would be a good way to experience what is on offer. The phone just stands out. Whether you love it or loathe it, it catches your eye regardless. I think the glass / aluminium has been overdone. People are only going to buy a plastic case anyway and ruin the design of the iPhone for example. This new 8X has already done that part for you. The form factor is perfect for what I need or want in a device for the next 2 years. I am definitely going to wait until November to get my hands on one of these phones. I think they look amazing.
Exactly!! Screen size is "just right" and every exclusive app Nokia has...there is an alternative in the windows store!!! So Im not missing out on anything IMO...and this device really does look amazing!! Cant wait to get hands on as well!!!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I understand what your saying but you cant judge HTC on their previous support for their windows phones...We windows phone people have been but a blip on the radar for all these OEMs...and Nokia, all they have is windows phone so of course they are going to fully support it and go above and beyond...with WIndows Phone 8 and exciting devices like this, do you really think HTC would have done a redesign from the ground up only to simply drop any and all support??? I dont think so....with the failure of the One series and Samsungs stranglehold on ANdroid, HTC is going to really push their windows phones for once(imo)....honestly, how many commercials did you see for the Titan? Or Titan 2? MS is going to make updates alot smoother going forward so we dont have anythign to worry about, no matter what you choose, you will get the support you need.

Honestly, look at all the issues the Lumia 900 had and yes, good for nokia for backing up the device and pushing out big fixes but honestly, I havent had any issues with my samsung and my mom has had zero issues with her Trophy so I dont get the whole "lack of support" arguement. If they make a top notch device, then support is pretty pointless, and as far as updates, look at your carrier!!! They have been the ones screwing us....so I have no fear going with any OEM, Im buying the WINDOWS experience and I get that no matter what I choose....

Except HTC didn't make a top notch device (referring to the Titan). People had call quality issues and reception problems. :(

The 8X and 8S look pretty good though.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe HTC may be turning a corner on this device and this operating system. Something just says they are putting more into this device. I'm getting it. I was a bit iffy on it because I was comparing it to the Nokia 920 rather than comparing it to my needs. For the most part I think this device will fit MY NEEDS. I don't need a HUGE hard drive. 16GB is doing me just fine now and I only listen to about 5 GB of my whole music library at a time. The Screen size was almost a deal breaker, but then I remember how my Lumia 900 and my Rezound both had 4.3 in. screens...and they were just fine. Also, with no expandable microSD slot, I figured there would be one less problem. I can almost guarntee you that there will be problems here and there with that slot. It might not be YOUR phone, but there will be phones with that microSD issue.

I've never really had huge problems with HTC devices. Always had good call quality, reception, feel, etc. Only problem I had was battery life and random shutdown, but thats almost synonymous with Android phones.

2 cool features I like on the Nokia 920 that I can look past.

Extra sensetive touch. Although a person can use gloves with the phone, lets see how long it takes them to type a message accurately. I can barely type on a real keyboard with gloves on. Tried it many time while in the military outside on a laptop in the cold....didn't work well. But it's a cool feature.

Low reflective glass. Thats cool too, but I've never had a big issue with that. Some people who work outside often might, but I've always been able to see the screen pretty good with my past HTC devices.

So yes, I'm getting an HTC 8x, but it sucks because my contract just started in April when I got my Lumia 900.....wtf :confused:

What are my options? Oh yeah...buy it full price. Sigh....before I had a kid I'd be all over it. Now, my wife is like, "You can spend you money on better things than a new phone!" So looks like I'm going to have to wine and dine her like we just met so I can better convince her that we have enough money and we can afford it...which we really can. lol. We have a good amount of combined income being senior level System Engineer/Admins.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty critical of HTC yesterday, but I've come around 180 degrees. Here is why the HTC 8X will be my next Windows Phone:

Commitment to smaller carriers.

150 carriers in 50 countries. That's the official announcement HTC made yesterday. As someone commited to a smaller carrier (US Cellular), this really matters. The companies that make a great phone and then ONLY sell it on AT&T just don't get it. Not everyone wants AT&T.

Simple, modest, but well-executed.

The 8X doesn't have the innovative new features that the Lumia 920 does, nor does it have the unbelievable screen-size-to-weight ratio of the Ativ S. But initial reports are that screen quality, camera quality, and case feel are all excellent. Sometimes a phone doesn't have to be groundbreaking in order for it to be pleasing. New technology can break six months down the line. An unbelievable screen-size-to-weight ratio can mean it doesn't feel as "solid."

In short, while HTC does not win the spec war or the new-technology war, it seems committed to offering excellent execution and tactile quality, and I value that.

Great sound

I'm a Zune Pass holder and I use my phone as a mobile music player A LOT. HTC is more focused on sound quality than either of the other two WP8 manufacturers.

It looks really, really good

In two dimensions, I thought the design was derivative. The 8X of the Lumia 900, the 8S of the Sony Xperia U. In three dimensions, it looks more unique, and the bright colors seem to be cribbed from WP itself as opposed to from Nokia.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2vjD6U0zSs[/YT]

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty critical of HTC yesterday, but I've come around 180 degrees. Here is why the HTC 8X will be my next Windows Phone:

Commitment to smaller carriers.

150 carriers in 50 countries. That's the official announcement HTC made yesterday. As someone commited to a smaller carrier (US Cellular), this really matters. The companies that make a great phone and then ONLY sell it on AT&T just don't get it. Not everyone wants AT&T.

Simple, modest, but well-executed.

The 8X doesn't have the innovative new features that the Lumia 920 does, nor does it have the unbelievable screen-size-to-weight ratio of the Ativ S. But initial reports are that screen quality, camera quality, and case feel are all excellent. Sometimes a phone doesn't have to be groundbreaking in order for it to be pleasing. New technology can break six months down the line. An unbelievable screen-size-to-weight ratio can mean it doesn't feel as "solid."

In short, while HTC does not win the spec war or the new-technology war, it seems committed to offering excellent execution and tactile quality, and I value that.

Great sound

I'm a Zune Pass holder and I use my phone as a mobile music player A LOT. HTC is more focused on sound quality than either of the other two WP8 manufacturers.

It looks really, really good

In two dimensions, I thought the design was derivative. The 8X of the Lumia 900, the 8S of the Sony Xperia U. In three dimensions, it looks more unique, and the bright colors seem to be cribbed from WP itself as opposed to from Nokia.

Click to view quoted video

See you finally "get it" lol. En Garde my friend. We have a winner.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought for sure that the 920 would be my next phone, but the 8X keeps clawing its way toward the front of the race. Heck, even the 820 is still in the running since I may want a smaller phone. I know for sure that I've eliminated the Ativ S and 8S however.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I thought for sure that the 920 would be my next phone, but the 8X keeps clawing its way toward the front of the race. Heck, even the 820 is still in the running since I may want a smaller phone. I know for sure that I've eliminated the Ativ S and 8S however.

Just curious why you have eliminated the Ativ? I've personally got it down to the 920 and the ATIV, but since the 920 likely wont launch on Verizon, it might be the ATIV.. (Though nobody has said the ATIV is Verizon bound either...)

When I look at the ATIV and 8X the things that stand out is the space (32GB versus 16GB) additional MicroSD versus none, and a 2300 mAh battery versus an 1800 one.

I'm not gonna fault anybody for picking either one of the "big" three, they are all awesome. I'm just curious.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S III and I wasn't a huge fan of the proportions of the device. For being such a large phone, I found it too thin to be ergonomic. This might not be an issue for you, but with my relatively small hands it wasn't a good fit for me.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S III and I wasn't a huge fan of the proportions of the device. For being such a large phone, I found it too thin to be ergonomic. This might not be an issue for you, but with my relatively small hands it wasn't a good fit for me.

It's a valid point. I'm using the S3 now after coming from a Galaxy Nexus and an iPhone 4S. Love the screen size, but you're right, it's not the best ergonomic device. You can't do everything one handed. Smaller screen means less battery required to, so maybe it's not that big of deal. I'm pretty excited to check them out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb