HTC 8X Dimensions vs Screen Size

IamJonso

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the HTC 8X, but is there really any reason why a 4.3 inch screen should be housed in a device with such huge dimensions? This thing is ridiculously ginormous (especially the length) compared with other 4.3+ inch devices. Makes me wonder if the unibody was designed for a larger screen initially, but then HTC decided to put only a 4.3 inch screen at the last minute. I also noticed that there is more black space at the side of the HTC 8X screen compared to other new WP8 devices.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the HTC 8X, but is there really any reason why a 4.3 inch screen should be housed in a device with such huge dimensions? This thing is ridiculously ginormous (especially the length) compared with other 4.3+ inch devices. Makes me wonder if the unibody was designed for a larger screen initially, but then HTC decided to put only a 4.3 inch screen at the last minute. I also noticed that there is more black space at the side of the HTC 8X screen compared to other new WP8 devices.

Why does it have to be "black" space?? RACIST!!!

JK...probably any images with more black space (I assume you mean on the start screen) on the HTC 8X is just a matter of different settings or bad photoshopping....

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Why does it have to be "black" space?? RACIST!!!

Don't know. Every phone I have ever owned has had black space. Maybe Nokia, the color innovators, can be politically correct and make it green or blue space without offending Martians or those Avatar dudes.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

rich4A1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of funny since I found the dimension efficiency on Lumia 900 one of the lowest at the time, and I suspect HTC outdid Nokia on WP8X.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Call me crazy, but from all the videos and photos I've seen, I think HTC hit a home run with the design aspects of the 8X. In regards to the black areas on the sides, I don't really see what you're talking about.. they look the same width as on my Lumia, and on the images of the 920 as well.. nothing different there, maybe try a different image?

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/phones/37940-xlarge/Nokia-Lumia-920.jpg

If you look at the 920 enlarged you'll see that it has the same black space on either side of the tiles, and the same amount as the 8X here: Windows Phone 8X by HTC Overview - HTC Smartphones

In some renders, NOKIA made it so you can't differentiate between the black screen and the black background on the home screen, making it seem like there's no gap.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You people are not understanding him. He's asking why the phones are the same size when one has a bigger screen.

The answer? The 8x has an unnecessarily larger speaker on top.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the height is kind of making me second guess this phone. Not a huge deal but its actually taller than the lumia which has a larger screen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
You people are not understanding him. He's asking why the phones are the same size when one has a bigger screen.

The answer? The 8x has an unnecessarily larger speaker on top.
the X8 has a lot into it's audio AND in the speaker vent the X8 has an LED notification light.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hope that notification light works more like the android ones. Love that feature being able to change colors for SMS calls and emails

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually, this is one of the complaints I have with both the 8X and 920... there is SO much bezel.

I'd really like to see WP8 operating on an "all screen" device.. like the new Motorola Razr M/i

I think that would be GREAT.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Actually, this is one of the complaints I have with both the 8X and 920... there is SO much bezel.

I'd really like to see WP8 operating on an "all screen" device.. like the new Motorola Razr M/i

I think that would be GREAT.

The ATIV S, has very little bezel.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the gs3. I actually enjoy the size and dimensions, that's why I think the ativ will be great, just loving the styling of the 8x, what a sweet looking device

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, my wife has the GIII, and compared to my 710 it's just an asume device. For some reason however I keep getting drawn back to the 8X however. I think one of the things that really appeals to me is the HTC photo processor. The 710 camera is great if your objects don't mind standing perfeclty still for awhile, but doesn't do well with even minor movements.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The HTC cameras really are phenomenal!

I have used all three phones from the "One" series, and even the "entry level" One V's 5mp camera outperformed most cell cameras I have used.... OneX and One S.. Incredible...I love the over saturation. :p

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hope that notification light works more like the android ones. Love that feature being able to change colors for SMS calls and emails

While I would like to see this as well, a part of me thinks it won't happen. I currently have a Radar and the only thing the notification light does is stay solid orange while charging, solid green when finished charging, and blink green for a missed call. It doesn't do anything else and there are no options for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon