Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It was my understanding if you signed up for the WP enthusiast you could bypass the carriers otherwise the carriers still had to approve it. of course there hasn't been a mention about the enthusiast since the first WP preview months back.

Nobody is stopping anyone from signing up. It will be available.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you can now add to the fact that the camera is better or no worse than the over-hyped over advertised "Pureview / OIS / Carl Zeiss" super camera of the Lumia 920 although i can't say i am surprised the HTC Mozart took much better photo's than the "Carl Zeiss" lens touting Lumia 800.

Maybe Nokia should stop shouting about how great their camera's are and HTC should speak up abit more.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia hyped their camera too much, they should had kept their mouth shut. But we should had know from the beginning, from the moment the fake pictures appeared.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well im on Verizon so my choice is between the 8X and the 822. Going for the 8x simply because the screen has more ppi and a better resolution. Its going to be a great device to have.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you can now add to the fact that the camera is better or no worse than the over-hyped over advertised "Pureview / OIS / Carl Zeiss" super camera of the Lumia 920 although i can't say i am surprised the HTC Mozart took much better photo's than the "Carl Zeiss" lens touting Lumia 800.

Maybe Nokia should stop shouting about how great their camera's are and HTC should speak up abit more.

Yeah I was a bit surprised by this. After hearing all the hype that Nokia made over the 920's camera, I expected it to be stellar beyond all reason. Then I started reading all the reviews of the 8x, looking at the camera samples, and it almost seems to me that the 8x takes sharper pictures, or at least on par with the 920. And really, the camera was the only thing drawing me toward the 920 over the other options.

For me, the 8x is thinner, lighter, sleeker, and I prefer it's screen size/form factor. Plus it's got just as pretty colors, and a matte finish (which, why did Nokia drop the matte finish? Looked so much better than this glossy one on the 920). Overall looks like a solid device, and it's getting great reviews all around. Looks like I'll be getting an 8x.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
the 8X is a beautiful design as well and now knowing that AT&T and HTC will have zero branding on the front of the phone makes it even more attractive. if the 920's camera does turn out to be a dud except in scenarios where the OIS is needed then the i'd even give greater consideration to it.

storage space is THE major concern for me with phone. i don't want to carry around an iPod anymore so when you take the music i want to keep on there plus maps and apps and the OS (forget even taking HD video) then you can see why i'd be concerned about constantly doing a balancing act and shuffling content on and off my phone. because of my desire for a phone that's a Windows Phone version of a 64GB iPod Touch that makes calls and has mobile internet i've even entertained thoughts of an 820/822 with the maximum acceptable micro SD expansion. count me as not a fan of the Lumia 920 only having 26GB free out of the box. if the HTC 8X

if the HTC 8X were 32GB then my decision between the 920 and it would all come down to how each physically feels in my hand. or if the HTC 8X had an SD card slot that could get me to 48GB then it probably wouldn't even matter if the 920 felt better in the hand. but alas, i do not like the Ativ S's body at all (same as S3) and still want an HD screen there is no perfect fit among the vanguard of Windows Phone 8.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
ANDROID RULES!! Oh, wait, wrong forum.....

I'm with the OP, I like the 8X design better. The 920 will have some nice bells and whistles, but I just like the colors, design and all of the descriptions of how much better the 8x feels in the hand of the journalists who write about it.

I think Vlad from The Verge pretty much made my mind up.

BUT, think of this, a year ago, it was the only the DVP, Arrive, Focus, Surround, HD7 or LG phone. And now, we get to drill each other for our choice b/t what, 7-8 models of WP phones with more on the way. HOW AWESOME IS THIS!

Regardless of what WP OEM phone you fly, the fact we now have so many choices is awesome! The platform is taking off people!!

So don't be dumb, buy your Lumias, get your 8X, Ativ, whatever. Lumia owners, fist bump 8X owners in public. Ativ owners, high five Huawei phone owners when you see them.

Just be psyched someone else was bright enough to buy a WP. It DOESN'T matter which WP you buy, JUST BUY ONE YOU DUMMIES!! Honestly, MUST I be the voice of reason for this site??

YOU OWE ME BIG TIME DAVE BLAKE!! :)

Just buy a damn WP so we can make iOS fans jealous with our awesome OS!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the form factors of the first gen WP8 devices, this one is the most appealing

But the fact that exclusive apps come to Nokia would stop me from getting it. I'd hold out until a Nokia with a hot form factor comes out

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
An here's why you should get the Nokia 920 instead: The 8X doesn't come with turn-by-turn navigation. And since there's no navigation app that works on the 8X in the market, you can't just add it, either.

I just got my 8X and am absolutely furious about this. Microsoft announced in June that alls WP8 devices would be getting GPS navigation through Nokia Maps, which Microsoft allegedly licensed. That is NOT true. It looks like the maps were licensed by Nokia, but no the navigation feature.

As I need GPS navigation on a daily base, I ended up putting the 8X on ebay now :-(

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
An here's why you should get the Nokia 920 instead: The 8X doesn't come with turn-by-turn navigation. And since there's no navigation app that works on the 8X in the market, you can't just add it, either.

I just got my 8X and am absolutely furious about this. Microsoft announced in June that alls WP8 devices would be getting GPS navigation through Nokia Maps, which Microsoft allegedly licensed. That is NOT true. It looks like the maps were licensed by Nokia, but no the navigation feature.

As I need GPS navigation on a daily base, I ended up putting the 8X on ebay now :-(

Even though it's a pain to use Bing Maps and tap on each part to give you voice directions, it still has turn by turn technically unless they took that away as well

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Even though it's a pain to use Bing Maps and tap on each part to give you voice directions, it still has turn by turn technically unless they took that away as well

there's no voice guidance whatsoever. Yes, I can tap on each waypoint (which is not only dangerous and illegal here in Switzerland, but pretty much unusable, unless you have someone sitting next to you who takes care of it), but there's no voice guidance.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
there's no voice guidance whatsoever. Yes, I can tap on each waypoint (which is not only dangerous and illegal here in Switzerland, but pretty much unusable, unless you have someone sitting next to you who takes care of it), but there's no voice guidance.
So you're saying that it's the same as 7.5, except it no longer gives you voice directions? It's actually worse now?

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying that it's the same as 7.5, except it no longer gives you voice directions? It's actually worse now?

I guess this is a regional thing - Bing maps never had voice directions here, so it's pretty much exactly the same as before. Well, there's a minor improvement now - they added traffic here.

I can't speak for the US version of the 8x, though, perhaps it has voice guidance in English (my phone's set to German).

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to clear up things as far as Nokia Drive is concerned: according to Microsoft, they have licensed Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8. However, they're not bundling it with the OS. Instead, they offer it to the device manufacturers. If they want it, they can include it. It's not very surprising that HTC doesn't want to bundle an app called "Nokia Drive", considering that Nokia is one of their main competitors.

I think Microsoft is making a big mistake here - they should be offering Drive in the Market instead.

Not having turn-by-turn navigation is a no-go for lots of potential buyers.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Just to clear up things as far as Nokia Drive is concerned: according to Microsoft, they have licensed Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8. However, they're not bundling it with the OS. Instead, they offer it to the device manufacturers. If they want it, they can include it. It's not very surprising that HTC doesn't want to bundle an app called "Nokia Drive", considering that Nokia is one of their main competitors.

I think Microsoft is making a big mistake here - they should be offering Drive in the Market instead.

Not having turn-by-turn navigation is a no-go for lots of potential buyers.

well. Didn't HTC have a turn by turn driving app though. I suspect their one is coming to Wp

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Why should Microsoft pay for other OEMs to get Nokia's stuff for free?

They had a 18 month head start on Nokia to develop their own, and didn't bother. Nokia is offering them a way to license Nokia maps. It gives the OEMs choice as to which solution to use. I'm sure Google will be just as happy to license googlemaps.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The "TIMN 8X" post The Verge is pretty ****ty, but got me thinking. Feel free to ignore this post, just putting my own thoughts together and figured someone might like reading it.

HTC has been making dual-core smartphones for over two years, probably longer. They've been making cutting edge smartphones since forever. I feel like Nokia's fairly new at this semi-cutting-edge technology stuff. I feel like I'll be getting a quality product that's been assembled in factories that have been assembling phones exactly like this for quite a while. I have a couple friends that are still using their OG Evos from Sprint and they're running strong well past a what I would consider to be a normal smartphones life expectancy.

I've had three Lumia 900s. First one went back because the speaker at the bottom was setting off the capacitive buttons. Second one had a purple screen. The one I'm on now, which I've had since June, cannot be used as a normal phone. For five months now, every phone call I've made has been over the speakerphone because of the insane echo-ing on the other end of the line and I'm tired of people complaining to me about how I sound like ****.

The HTC is a better looking phone. Period. The 920 looks chubby, and the glossy polycarbonate (just call it plastic, FFS) looks tacky. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong.

I couldn't care less about inductive charging. I'd rather have a phone that is charged properly and in a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to have to worry about my cat (or my arm) knocking my phone off of it's charging pad and waking up to a dead phone.

I'll feel better about throwing a little cash at HTC for not signing any carrier-exclusivity deals. I'd like to show them that I appreciate it. Sure I'm on AT&T, but I know plenty of people that aren't and Nokia's rubbing it in their face for no reason other than greed.

THAT ****'S GOT BEATS BY DR DRE SON, SO TRILL, SO CASH (but honestly, I hope someone finds a way to remove that ******* logo off of the back of it).

This screen that reacts to touch from apparently any solid material on earth has me concerned. I already have issues using my 900 if there's any finger butter, rain, dust, etc. on the screen and I don't even want to think about how bad it would be if the screen was actually designed to read input from non-human-sources.

Most people will be drawn to the 920 and I'd like to give HTC a little support so they don't ditch the WP market. The 8X is a kickass phone and I'd consider this my way of showing them that I appreciate them making an awesome, non-Android phone. It's not like Nokia has a choice either way.. and I think the WP world would take a pretty huge punch in the gut if the choices were JUST Nokia or Samsung.

I guess that's about it. I'll miss my Nokia Drive, but I got along without it just fine for the 16ish months that I used a Samsung Focus, so it's not even remotely close to being a deal breaker. Actually, you know what might actually be a deal breaker? The ESPN Fantasy Football app. Why is that a Nokia exclusive? Dammit, Nokia.

edit: just read that Nokia has actually given Nokia drive to the other manufacturers. Thanks for making my decision easier, Nokia.
I'm with you on this, I could not have said it any better being with Verizon I will be getting the 8x but I do want the wireless charging!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett