Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

GT2010

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Fail ihtc fans

Specs wise htc fans should be ashamed :giggle:
lol shame but you guys forgot about 822 for verizon it gives htc 8x a good challenge
oh sorry i forgot even the 820 , 810 , and ofcource the 920 becuase it beats htc 8x and 8s at the same time :D

all i can say is i wont get ripped of :straight:
So go ihtc fans go get the best smartphone ever made FAILLLL :lol:

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
For me it comes down to this, the 8X does not seem to come with LTE support across many bands. The 3G networks are way too crowded and there are too many issues with latancy and so on. That paired with the Nokia apps and the sensitive screen (we wear gloves 5-6 months of the year here in Sweden) makes the decision easy.

Being able to take photos in the dark on the 920 that are actually useful is just an added bonus as I don't take photos with my phone that often.

Last edited:

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've owned multiple HTC Android phones, and now the Lumia 710. I can honestly say I've had more problems with the 710 than I ever had with all my HTC phones combined. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the Lumia, but it's no better or worse than products put out by HTC, please before someone say HTC support is bad while Nokia's is great don't I've been on the phone with Nokia's "tech support" as I have one of the 710's that won?t accept the 8773 update. Their response to me was simply "don't worry you'll be able to install 7.8 when it comes out". At least from a T-mobile stand point the HTC offering outshines the Nokia.

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
An here's why you should get the Nokia 920 instead: The 8X doesn't come with turn-by-turn navigation. And since there's no navigation app that works on the 8X in the market, you can't just add it, either.

I just got my 8X and am absolutely furious about this. Microsoft announced in June that alls WP8 devices would be getting GPS navigation through Nokia Maps, which Microsoft allegedly licensed. That is NOT true. It looks like the maps were licensed by Nokia, but no the navigation feature.

As I need GPS navigation on a daily base, I ended up putting the 8X on ebay now :-(

if this holds true in the US then 8X is DOA for me. oh well and just when zero OEM or carrier branding had me all excited too.

i'll still try it out in stores though just to see if i fall in love with it enough to compensate for fewer features.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Why should Microsoft pay for other OEMs to get Nokia's stuff for free?

They had a 18 month head start on Nokia to develop their own, and didn't bother. Nokia is offering them a way to license Nokia maps. It gives the OEMs choice as to which solution to use. I'm sure Google will be just as happy to license googlemaps.
I don't care about Nokia drive, MS doesn't have to get involved with that. What MS should do though is fix the built in Maps app. Just get rid of the stupid need to tap for the next step, and the built in Maps would be great. It's ridiculous that after 2 YEARS AND COUNTING it still has this nonsensical limitation. That is MS's fault. No excuse for that.

Ron Paul

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your 8x when they stop supporting your phone a week after you bought it (unless you like the Android version of support (they release another phone).

Feel you there... This is why my HTC Titan and I don't get along anymore. Not to mention the phone resetting itself practically every day.. AFTER I have already gotten a replacement for my previous HTC Titan doing the exact same thing.

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably getting it because..........nokia 920 appears NOT to be coming sim free in the UK for a long while.........oh, wait the ativ s.

Oh bugger.......I don't know.. ;) wait ?399 sim free.......the HTC is back on top!

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about Nokia drive, MS doesn't have to get involved with that. What MS should do though is fix the built in Maps app. Just get rid of the stupid need to tap for the next step, and the built in Maps would be great. It's ridiculous that after 2 YEARS AND COUNTING it still has this nonsensical limitation. That is MS's fault. No excuse for that.

Well just look at Apple and iOS. Turn-by-turn navigation was JUST brought in with iOS6, after 5 years of the iPhone being on the market, and on top of that, the iOS6 maps suck!

That being said though, Microsoft needs to develop it's own navigation app in-house. Nokia has the best option right now, but only Nokia phones have it. Microsoft needs to develop a nice turn-by-turn app that will be part of the OS, on all WP devices.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
the 8X has a lot of pros over the 920 (as well as the 920 over the 8X)

Design - is very sleek. every review so far even states the 8X design is well ahead of the 920 BUT thats all really just opinion.

Audio - Even if you think Beats is over rated... the audio is still better.

Camera - Takes a nicer normal picture/day time picture, lightening fast picture taking due to the image chip inside (gets smoked in the dark and smoked by videos)

***another thing to note is technically the 8X is a little more powerful than the lumia 920... the 920's sensitive touch/screen tech uses more resources on the cpu and they both use the same cpu (as well as the 8X's image chip being use to process the camera function)

that all being said... they both has lots of pros over the other.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Specs wise htc fans should be ashamed :giggle:
lol shame but you guys forgot about 822 for verizon it gives htc 8x a good challenge
oh sorry i forgot even the 820 , 810 , and ofcource the 920 becuase it beats htc 8x and 8s at the same time :D

all i can say is i wont get ripped of :straight:
So go ihtc fans go get the best smartphone ever made FAILLLL :lol:

Nothing worse than an Nokia ******.

I've owned multiple HTC Android phones, and now the Lumia 710. I can honestly say I've had more problems with the 710 than I ever had with all my HTC phones combined. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the Lumia, but it's no better or worse than products put out by HTC, please before someone say HTC support is bad while Nokia's is great don't I've been on the phone with Nokia's "tech support" as I have one of the 710's that won?t accept the 8773 update. Their response to me was simply "don't worry you'll be able to install 7.8 when it comes out". At least from a T-mobile stand point the HTC offering outshines the Nokia.
I have always had good luck with HTC phones. My first Lumia (900) was broken, the second one I got was better. Good build quality and such I just hated how it took 10 seconds for it to realize something was plugged into it. Now im on VZW and everything I have seen the 8X looks like the phone to beat. Yes the N922 looks good too but I really like the 8X

Well just look at Apple and iOS. Turn-by-turn navigation was JUST brought in with iOS6, after 5 years of the iPhone being on the market, and on top of that, the iOS6 maps suck!

That being said though, Microsoft needs to develop it's own navigation app in-house. Nokia has the best option right now, but only Nokia phones have it. Microsoft needs to develop a nice turn-by-turn app that will be part of the OS, on all WP devices.

First off, Apple didn't have their own maps software until recently, you can't blame them for letting other software dev's put their software on their app store and letting people pick which one they want until they made their own.

Secondly, the maps app on iOS6 really isn't that bad at all. I have an iP5 right now and I have never had any issues with it. A few people in certain parts of the world had issues with it and Apple publically apologized and because of that everybody assumed their maps app was junk. It has yet to fail me in anything I have wanted to use it for.

Yes, I have had Android, iPhones and WP phones.... crazy I know that I don't just ****** with any particular brand or OS.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that for my uses, the HTC live lock screen with the weather is a major plus in favour of the 8X.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Lots of reviewers recommend the 8X in looks,weight and feel alone over the 920. Is very superficial but that just means that the 920 camera isn't miles away from the competition like we though.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Lots of reviewers recommend the 8X in looks,weight and feel alone over the 920. Is very superficial but that just means that the 920 camera isn't miles away from the competition like we though.

That's not what it means.
In low light, it IS miles ahead. In regular light we've seen mixed reviews and samples from both phones.

If reviewers prefer the 8X for "looks, weight, and feel alone", that's exactly what it means. They liked the looks, weight, and feel.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That's not what it means.
In low light, it IS miles ahead. In regular light we've seen mixed reviews and samples from both phones.

If reviewers prefer the 8X for "looks, weight, and feel alone", that's exactly what it means. They liked the looks, weight, and feel.

Bright pictures at night/in dark closets is important to some people, so is stable video recording. Not so important to the others, I'd argue most people don't take pictures in the dark. And with the daylight pictures as average as they are, the camera is no longer a selling point. This is where the importance of the form factor comes in. Two phones, almost identical specs, similar daylight rear camera capabilities... It comes down to brand loyalty or form factor.

I'm not trying to scream about the 920 being fat and heavy, I've never held either device. But if the 8x feels better in my hand or pocket, that's the phone I'd get. If the 920s camera was as good as nokia made me believe, my choice would be different. Looking at it from the reviews, the form factor of the 8x (as long and awkward looking as it may be) is more comfortable than the 920. If Nokia's killer feature isn't very "killer", why opt for the phone that I won't like carrying around?

Can't wait to handle these two in person...

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow, this nav thing could be a deal breaker for me as well, and just after I decided the 8X was for me due to the lackluster 920 camera and bloated form factor. Nokia Drive was supposed to be on all phones. Is Microsoft out of their freaking minds? Their new OS has no built-in hands-free nav now. That is simply unacceptable.

I wonder if HTC could be petitioned into offering Nokia Drive? Bing's nav is beyond awful. Not only do you have to tap on the screen, but the voice guidance spits out every name and highway number of the street you are looking for and it ends up a confusing mess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss