Why I'm getting an 8X instead of a 920

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
lol like devs gives two **** about Windows Phone. I remember when the Mango update was announced, they claim! "Two lines of code to make your app resume in multitask", nobody cared. Heck the Engadget app force closures when you lock the screen.

You cannot hope for devs to do anything on Windows Phone, not until we have any marketshare.

It's sad, really. :(

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Since I'm a Verizon user it will be the 8X for me. I'm still a bit upset I won't have the choice of the 920 on Verizon, but for me I don't think there is a wide gap between the two phones. My current phone is 16Gb, so 32 is nice but unnecessary. Both phones have good cameras and screens. It doesn't get cold here so I won't be using the phone with gloves on. The Nokia apps are nice, but I don't really need them. The only disappointment I have right now is that Verizon won't be carrying the blue 8X.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The only disappointment I have right now is that Verizon won't be carrying the blue 8X.

Feel free to be un-disappointed, because they'll have blue. :) Windows Phone 8 - 4G LTE Network

Windows Phone 8X by HTC ? available by Thanksgiving in Blue, Red or Black color models for $199.99 with a new two year contract. The Red and Black color models are Verizon Wireless exclusives.

markfern811

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I was all set for the Nokia Lumia 920, but as its a EE exclusive here in the UK that's me out. I'm really liking the look of 8x but the only thing holding me back is the lack of Nokia Drive as I do use a lot for work. I've not used the windows maps app so not sure if I can work with that..

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your 8x when they stop supporting your phone a week after you bought it (unless you like the Android version of support (they release another phone).

You obviously do not / have not owned a Trophy. The support has been excellent... always in the first couple phones to get new updates like Mango.

I have to agree that the design of the 8x really appeals more to me than the 920. I prefer my screens to be of manageable size (not huge), and while it's true that it is almost as thick as the 920 at it's thickest point, people need to remember that it's more about volume than the thickest point. When you slide it into your pocket it will be a much easier fit, because the tapered edges reduce the circumference of the phone. It really is a big deal.

Unfortunately, I really wish it had 32GB, and the Nokia exclusive apps really call to me. Mainly Drive+ and the other mapping related apps... and of course City Lens! I'm not too fussed about OIS, but low light and capture speed are very important to me. I have not been able to find anyone with a review that actually shows how fast the 8x takes photos... if it's faster than the 920 due to the processor that will actually hold a lot of weight with me.

However, as has been mentioned by others, Nokia pretty much made my choice for me by not managing to get it on Verizon. I would love to know where the blame lies for this... it's just a silly situation. So effectively I only have one choice, and it is not Nokia. I'm just glad the 8x turned out as well as it did.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I...the only thing holding me back is the lack of Nokia Drive as I do use a lot for work. I've not used the windows maps app so not sure if I can work with that..

Can anyone clear up this situation?

It's my understanding that Drive+ will be exclusive to Nokia, but that Drive (no plus) will be available on other phones. However, I have heard nothing about when or if it will be a paid app (I would assume so).

I have also heard some people say that only the maps will be available to other vendors.

Has Nokia / Microsoft ever announced the true story on this? I really want Drive...

After some Googling, I found this:
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/20/nokia-drive-for-all-windows-phone-8-smartphones/

This makes it sound like HTC could put Drive on their phones, but it's not something that consumers can just download. And given that I haven't heard anything about it I guess I have to assume HTC has for some reason turned down this excellent app they could offer?

Last edited:

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
The reviews coming out of different sites are swaying me to the 8X from the 920. I never seriously thought about the 8X until Monday, and today while I was listening to the Engadget podcast at the gym I was swayed further. So torn....

The only thing that may keep me 920 is the Nokia apps, however, I am cautiously optimistic that there will be live trial units available of all three major WP8 devices I can play with by next Friday in my area. Here's to hoping.

Plus I hate my current carrier, a lot. We just got Bell here so it would be nice to switch 'er up.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The reviews coming out of different sites are swaying me to the 8X from the 920. I never seriously thought about the 8X until Monday, and today while I was listening to the Engadget podcast at the gym I was swayed further. So torn....

The only thing that may keep me 920 is the Nokia apps, however, I am cautiously optimistic that there will be live trial units available of all three major WP8 devices I can play with by next Friday in my area. Here's to hoping.

Plus I hate my current carrier, a lot. We just got Bell here so it would be nice to switch 'er up.

What would sway you from the 920? You got wrist problems?

This is what worries me about the 8X;

HTC 8X Having Quality Issues? | The Verge Forums

Tom Warren HIMSELF is having light leak and worn buttons issues already.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
What would sway you from the 920? You got wrist problems?

This is what worries me about the 8X;

HTC 8X Having Quality Issues? | The Verge Forums

Tom Warren HIMSELF is having light leak and worn buttons issues already.
I can't believe some idiot posted the same list on Verge (it's here in this forum, though not sure which post came first). It's insane. So a guy dropped his phone, scuffed it badly and now the soft touch is peeling, well duh. As for the other problems, go look at any other forum for any other phone during the first week or so of release. Go look at the 920 forum RIGHT NOW. People reporting faults. Phones crashing. Speaker problems. Vibration motor rattling. All teething troubles and/or dodgy handsets. It happens! If anything goes wrong with my 8X, guess what: I'll post about it too. Fortunately, however, so far so good for me and presumably the hundreds or thousands of 8X buyers that aren't suffering any problems whatever. Jeez.

Anyone could make a very similar list of forum-reported iPhone 5 or Lumia 920 problems and post it all over the internet.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe some idiot posted the same list on Verge (it's here in this forum, though not sure which post came first). It's insane. So a guy dropped his phone, scuffed it badly and now the soft touch is peeling, well duh. As for the other problems, go look at any other forum for any other phone during the first week or so of release. Go look at the 920 forum RIGHT NOW. People reporting faults. Phones crashing. Speaker problems. Vibration motor rattling. All teething troubles and/or dodgy handsets. It happens! If anything goes wrong with my 8X, guess what: I'll post about it too. Fortunately, however, so far so good for me and presumably the hundreds or thousands of 8X buyers that aren't suffering any problems whatever. Jeez.

Anyone could make a very similar list of forum-reported iPhone 5 or Lumia 920 problems and post it all over the internet.

Actually there are far more threads about 8X problems on this forum then there are threads about 920 problems. Have a look for yourself.

That said, both of these phones have barely launched yet and they are both new devices on a whole new version of the OS. We've got to be a little patient with the software issues at least. As far as hardware/quality control, that is up to the OEM's to put right.

I have total confidence in Nokia because they quickly and effectively dealt with any problems on the 900, they even reimbursed me $100 even though I had zero problems with my phone. I got my phone for free and it's been perfect since day one. I'll let HTC's track record speak for itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077