Gyroscope and uk release date questions

ToasterZapper

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I've read a few comments on wpcentral that state the 8x doesn't have a gyroscope sensor. I've spent a bit of time searching on this topic and some reviews state that it does whilst others state that it doesn't. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

Also has anyone heard what the UK release date will be? I've read on a few sites the 2nd November mentioned for three UK and o2.

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've read a few comments on wpcentral that state the 8x doesn't have a gyroscope sensor. I've spent a bit of time searching on this topic and some reviews state that it does whilst others state that it doesn't. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

Also has anyone heard what the UK release date will be? I've read on a few sites the 2nd November mentioned for three UK and o2.

Not sure on the gyroscope question but I asked the device guy at three regarding release and he said he didnt think it would be this weekend but week after. Seemed to virtually confirm price of ?349 for pay as you go handset aswell if that interests you.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't appear to have a gyroscope. If you look at HTC's website, some phones have a "gyro sensor" listed in their specs. The 8X does not. Still, I'm not sure that it really matters. What apps actually take advantage of the gyro?

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Clove.co.uk should have stock of the blue version from well today 2nd for ?399.99

Three still showing as coming in November.

I am on a Orange contract thinking of switching to three not sure though or I might just buy one sim free hmmm

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't appear to have a gyroscope. If you look at HTC's website, some phones have a "gyro sensor" listed in their specs. The 8X does not. Still, I'm not sure that it really matters. What apps actually take advantage of the gyro?

Yeah, Engadget says it has a gyro, HTC doesn't mention it. It's confusing, but I won't bet that it does have a gyro if HTC doesn't list it.

Games will be primarily using the gyro, but there are a few apps that would require one for accuracy, such as virtual reality apps (e.g. Nokia City Lens).

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Bumping this thread.

Hi all, I am really considering buying the 8X! The only thing that is keeping me from being 100% sure is if it has a gyroscope or not.

To 8X owners out there, can you please confirm if it has gyroscope? Is there an app in the store that can confirm the gyroscope?

Many of us will really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

hailst0rm

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Bumping this thread.

Hi all, I am really considering buying the 8X! The only thing that is keeping me from being 100% sure is if it has a gyroscope or not.

To 8X owners out there, can you please confirm if it has gyroscope? Is there an app in the store that can confirm the gyroscope?

Many of us will really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

I've just tried 'Sensor Checker' and 'Diagnostics Toolset' off the store. Neither show gyro sensor. I don't know if WP7 need to be updated with WP8 support to access the gyro sensor. Looks like the answer is no.

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm constantly checking this thread as I'm excited about my future WP! :D

Oh I see.. Well, that's a bit of a letdown. Would have been nice to have a gyroscope, you know, just so it's there when you need it!

Anyway, I think I'm still going for the 8X. I find the design very cool and also the color (blue)!

The 920 also looks way too expensive for my liking and the only thing that has me going for it is it's camera (the OIS). But 8X camera still looks good anyway! Also, I don't think I will use wireless charging and the super display anyway (but they are cool features!).

Well, I think I'll just wait for more information. I live here in the Philippines and no official pricing yet on the 8x or 920. The pricing and the freebies will play a huge part on what I'm going to buy!

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm constantly checking this thread as I'm excited about my future WP! :D

Oh I see.. Well, that's a bit of a letdown. Would have been nice to have a gyroscope, you know, just so it's there when you need it!

Anyway, I think I'm still going for the 8X. I find the design very cool and also the color (blue)!

The 920 also looks way too expensive for my liking and the only thing that has me going for it is it's camera (the OIS). But 8X camera still looks good anyway! Also, I don't think I will use wireless charging and the super display anyway (but they are cool features!).

Well, I think I'll just wait for more information. I live here in the Philippines and no official pricing yet on the 8x or 920. The pricing and the freebies will play a huge part on what I'm going to buy!

I have the blue 8x and it is very nice. WinPhone Info app confirms no gyroscope. My old HD7 didn't have one either and i didn't miss it.

ToasterZapper

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Just received my 8x from o2 today; the phone looks and feels absolutely fantastic.

Haven't had chance to verify about the gyroscope yet but I think the smartglass app checks for the existence of one when you install it. If it doesn't have one I doubt I'll miss it all that much.

homanh

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I care, especially when the Nexus 4 comes with a quad core S4, gyro, wireless charging and 2GB RAM for ?239 whilst this costs ?399.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I care, especially when the Nexus 4 comes with a quad core S4, gyro, wireless charging and 2GB RAM for ?239 whilst this costs ?399.

Lol I have not found a single app that I use that requires a Gyro... And if your bothered about specs stick with Android however if you want a better OS and Ecosystem get WP8 especially if you own and use a xbox & windows 8 pc etc.

And if you want to compare specs of those 2 the 8X still has a better screen & camera & sound quality (including a Amp) and a better FFC and a more durable build quality no weak breakable glass on the 8X.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Lol I have not found a single app that I use that requires a Gyro... And if your bothered about specs stick with Android however if you want a better OS and Ecosystem get WP8 especially if you own and use a xbox & windows 8 pc etc.

And if you want to compare specs of those 2 the 8X still has a better screen & camera & sound quality (including a Amp) and a better FFC and a more durable build quality no weak breakable glass on the 8X.

Gyro definitely is a minority of apps but with flagship hardware using it like the ATIV Odyssey and Nokia 920 there will be a small percentage that will offer it for increased precision just like with WP7.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Any source to verify that 8x has a dedicated amplifier?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb