Is HTC working on a killer bigger 4.7" phone (like OneX+)?

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking...

I love the 8X, but some of the features of 8X seems to be very limited. Like no microSD, smaller screen than Titan or OneX+, limited internal memory (only 16GB), and small battery.

Could it possibly a marketing strategy? They need to hold something back for their next product. A killer phone. Creating incentive to buy again. So I was thinking, maybe the next one will be comparable in hardware spec like Titan or OneX+ (64 GB memory, 4.7" screen, huge battery). (I'd be happy with 32GB though. I currently use HD7 with 16GB which is full already).

Come on HTC. bring it on.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia: Has high- and low-end offerings in place. Will flesh out the mid-range devices to compete with the 8X.
HTC: Has mid- and low-end offerings in place, but no high-end device.

I have no idea what HTC has planned, but I'd bet you are correct. I think most here would agree it's the only logical next step for HTC.

Last edited:

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
well if i end up buying an 8x and they announce something, i'll surely return it during my carrier's 30 day return policy

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Shortly after the announcement, they say they where working in a 4.7inch device for next year. I think they interview was on this very site.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Nokia: Has high- and low-end offerings in place. Will flesh out the mid-range devices to compete with the 8X.

I have no idea what HTC has planned, but I'd bet you are correct. I think most here would agree it's the only logical next step for HTC.

I will never understand why people think Nokia is miles ahead of everybody else. Im not saying they don't make good devices, I am just saying they are a bit overrated by the WP community.

The 8X has better ppi, is lighter, and IMO Super LCD 2 blows every other phone screen out of the water.

The L922 has a little bit bigger battery, is expected to take better pictures, and has bigger internal memory.

While you can argue all day which one you like better it doesn't put Nokia miles or even inches ahead of HTC when it comes down to these two phones. Each one does different things better. Especially now that the VZW version of the 8X has wireless charging now.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Much of the "miles aheadness" also boils down to exclusive apps, including the navigation as well as stuff like support and updates. As far as I've understood, HTCs trackrecord on support isnt very admirable, while it's quite the opposite for Nokia.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Much of the "miles aheadness" also boils down to exclusive apps, including the navigation as well as stuff like support and updates. As far as I've understood, HTCs trackrecord on support isnt very admirable, while it's quite the opposite for Nokia.
I've had the trophy since launch.. I've gotten every update.

Screens cracked and I got moisture in it so the touch acts funky, but other than that the thing is pushing along just fine! Gotta remember, HTC has been making great smartphones since before the word smartphone existed! They've got the experience to create amazing things!

L111

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The 8X has better ppi.

I dont get the obsession with ppi.. It's great with a phone like the iPhone where its a small device, with a small screen, but still retains a very high resolution..

The 8X isn't that small so I don't see the point in the the small screen.

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Software is software IMO. There are great map apps out there that are free. Heck I personally don't need turn by turn and the reason Nokia had so much support is because the L900 had a lot of issues. Heck, they didn't fix the "charging issues" and camera issues until a couple months ago. Im not saying it's a bad thing that they support it, im saying it was bad that they HAD to support it so much becuase of all the problems it had. Its widely assumed by many that the L900 was rushed. So they probably knew ahead of time that they had to support it. They did an OK job of it but I did brick my first L900 because I let it completely die and it would NOT take a charge. I tried ALL the work arounds. And the fact that there was an official work around should tell you something.

Anyways, like I said they aren't bad or anything, I loved my second L900 after it got the updates. These kinds of things do not put Nokia "miles ahead" though. I think it's obvious that their hardware isnt "miles ahead". They have some good in-house software though I do agree. But it's not impossible to find alternatives that work just as good.

I just don't see Nokia as that far ahead of HTC. I think the WP community just loves them so much becuase they went ALL IN with the western market and really did make one of the best WP7 devices.

I dont get the obsession with ppi.. It's great with a phone like the iPhone where its a small device, with a small screen, but still retains a very high resolution..

The 8X isn't that small so I don't see the point in the the small screen.

So it's great on the iPhone which has a 4.0 inch screen but not on the 8X because it has a 4.3 inch screen? Really the .3 inches make ppi irrelevant? I disagree. I have had phones that don't have great pixel density and it's night and day when you have something with over 300ppi. (By the way the 8X has 341ppi and iphone 5 has 326ppi).

So, slightly larger screen with slightly more pixels per inch... You can't really arue that screen size makes the difference here. Resolution? ip5 - 1136 x 640 8X - 1280 X 720
Better resolution and ppi makes for a great combo. It means you don't lose the detail with a larger screen. In fact, if the ppi stays the say no matter what resolution you have you will get the same sharpness. Larger, more ppi simply means even clearer picture for an even bigger screen.

It matters to some people.

paragonnovafan27

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I will never understand why people think Nokia is miles ahead of everybody else. Im not saying they don't make good devices, I am just saying they are a bit overrated by the WP community.

The 8X has better ppi, is lighter, and IMO Super LCD 2 blows every other phone screen out of the water.

The L922 has a little bit bigger battery, is expected to take better pictures, and has bigger internal memory.

While you can argue all day which one you like better it doesn't put Nokia miles or even inches ahead of HTC when it comes down to these two phones. Each one does different things better. Especially now that the VZW version of the 8X has wireless charging now.
The 920 has a higher ppi because if you stretched out the 8x's screen it would have a lower ppi

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

When I bought my 8x at at&t it retailed for the same price as the 920, $449. My 8x has the same processor as the 920 and a higher res screen. While the 8x battery is smaller it appears to perform better than the 920 battery. Calling the 920 a higher end device than an 8x is delusional. If HTC comes out with something like a Titan 3 Nokia won't have anything to compete with it.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
And if you want to use the light theme it doesn't kill your battery like it would on a AMOLED screen. Of course everything kills your battery on a 920.
Sent from my Blue AT&T 8x using Board Xpress

Jonadam23

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I love my 8X but if HTC launched another high end windows phone 8 device soon I'd be very very upset, specially if it came to Verizon. I don't have an upgrade until 2014 now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99