The 'I've got a 8X!' thread

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a black 8X yesterday from Phones4U and I am overall VERY happy with the phone. The build quality is awesome, WP8 is very smooth and the screen is awesome!

I'm not exactly sure how I could properly test this gyroscope thing? I'm open to suggestions here :)

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I got mine this morning - and I love it! Brilliant little phone :)

Two negative moments though: there is no Data Sense and there is no backup of app settings.

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah has Data Sense been disabled with the 8x or has the Data Sense not yet ben released?

I got min e on the 2nd November for an O2 store in london. Love the phone totally, except for:

-no skydrive
-no Skype
-no Data sense
-Cant find how to do Wifi sync

Anyone have any experience with the above?

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah has Data Sense been disabled with the 8x or has the Data Sense not yet ben released?

I got min e on the 2nd November for an O2 store in london. Love the phone totally, except for:

-no skydrive
-no Skype
-no Data sense
-Cant find how to do Wifi sync

Anyone have any experience with the above?

Same here. I suspect that we will see these features when the Lumia 920 and 8X are released in the USA.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Got mine Saturday morning in Blue from O2 got it for free on a 2 year with 2GB data for ?36/month. Absolutely love it. The espn app is amazing coming from espn on 7.5 loving the multiple tile sizes and the screen is as crisp and clear as i have ever seen on a mobile. Not sure on the rooms service so far, sent a load of invites to my friends half of them ignored the request the other half said "thats what facebook is for". Only got a couple of small gripes. No skype or skydrive apps and looked for data sense but then re-watched the WP8 keynote and saw Joe B mention it was carrier specific and only verizon had it at present. Im also getting random reboots over 2 days of constant use its probably happened 5 times

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I suspect that we will see these features when the Lumia 920 and 8X are released in the USA.

Data sense is something that has to be enabled by the networks. The first to get it will be Verizon in the US.

BTW congrats to you all on getting your new phones, please post some pictures:)

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I think the WP8 versions of Skype and Skydrive are yet to be released on the store. Also I read somewhere that Wifi Sync is not there on WP8. Hopefully they'll add that in the future cause it's one of the coolest things about my Lumia 800!

Also, can't wait for the 8x! Was all in for the 920 but the potential pricing and the added weight is a turnoff.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
2 questions, what price did u guys pay unlocked? And also how is the keyboard for typing? I've gotten spoiled by this 4.8 inch gs3 screen, keyboard is so easy to use. Does the 8x do pretty well?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

futurix

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't completely understand why Data Sense has to be enabled by networks - yes, clearly the data compression bit must be, but why tie the statistics to that? Both iOS and Android have data statistics built into the OS that do not require any involvement of carriers.

anth77uk

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Got mine Saturday morning in Blue from O2 got it for free on a 2 year with 2GB data for ?36/month. Absolutely love it. The espn app is amazing coming from espn on 7.5 loving the multiple tile sizes and the screen is as crisp and clear as i have ever seen on a mobile. Not sure on the rooms service so far, sent a load of invites to my friends half of them ignored the request the other half said "thats what facebook is for". Only got a couple of small gripes. No skype or skydrive apps and looked for data sense but then re-watched the WP8 keynote and saw Joe B mention it was carrier specific and only verizon had it at present. Im also getting random reboots over 2 days of constant use its probably happened 5 times

Hi everyone. I picked up an unlocked blue from Phones4u on Saturday. I've moved from a lumia 800 and Im very impressed with it so far. The screen quality is awesome. However I am also experiencing random reboots during use. Im hoping that its a software issue. Im giving it till Wednesday before I'll return it for an exchange.

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Same her, had a few random reboots too.

I can understand data sense being left out by some carriers but no WiFi sync??? And its possible on wp7?? Wtf that is poor!
As ive said in the os discussion section, the usp of windows is the ability to leverage the substantial ms if structure, why haven't they included it?

No integration with homeshare and server pcs also annoys me.

That aside, this phone is a beut. Now just need to figure how to transfer iphone contacts ....

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Same her, had a few random reboots too.

I can understand data sense being left out by some carriers but no WiFi sync??? And its possible on wp7?? Wtf that is poor!
As ive said in the os discussion section, the usp of windows is the ability to leverage the substantial ms if structure, why haven't they included it?

No integration with homeshare and server pcs also annoys me.

That aside, this phone is a beut. Now just need to figure how to transfer iphone contacts ....

You could always sync the contacts to a gmail account then login to gmail on or phone and there are or contacts. Or import them from gmail to windows live account. Either way

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Woo! Picked one up today after much deliberation - just can't justify getting the 920 for that much moolah. Very happy so far.

Haven't had any reboots yet, but I've only had it for about 12 hours.

The screen is actually narrower than that of my HD7, so I'm still adjusting to typing on a slimmer keyboard - but I'm sure I'll cope just fine!

I'm surprised by one thing - half the apps which are available on WP7 are not available on WP8. Why is this? No Skype, no Skydrive, no Photosynth. I'm sure there are more, too.

As far as the gyroscope question goes, here's an easy way to find out: just try downloading an app which uses the gyroscope - for example, Microsoft's own TouchDevelop. If I try to download it on my now-retired HD7, I get a message telling me my phone does not have a gyroscope; no such message pops up on my 8X, so I'm assuming it does have a gyroscope. EDIT: If you load up TouchDevelop, find a script which checks your phone's capabilities, it seems that it does not have a gyroscope after all :< Seems like a change for the worse in the Store, then, to not warn you of a possible lack of functionality.

@kregstrong: IMO the blue is gorgeous. Almost more of a purple. I love it.

Last edited:

keizka

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Ouch! That's bad that it doesn't even warn. Is PhotoSynth available? Have you tried it?

Otherwise, nifty device that's sure to drive WP8 volumes up. Glad for everyone who got it :)

Christina125

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Where?

I want to buy the 8X sim free (unlocked) in London... Anyone know how to go about that? Has anyone done it yet? Preferably would love to pick one up tomorrow. Got tired and frustrated with the whole Nokia hoohah. Spent the past week calling up stores, visiting stores, waiting, being talked down to etc. Really want to get a new phone!

Christina125

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh and also, I keep hearing reviews say that the power and volume buttons on the 8X are really hard to push.. I have an Incredible S from HTC and the buttons are very sunken into the phone (not because its old). Is this a problem for anyone else with the 8X?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel