07-21-2013 05:10 PM
419 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    My phone has got no software from any carrier installed and still reboots unexpectedly.
    Yes mine is unlocked from an IT supplier with no Carrier software and reboots.
    11-22-2012 08:21 AM
    Well, while my 8X had a number of reboots my Lumia 920 had non... it certainly isn't an "trending" topic for the 920. Mind you...the 920 has several other issues though. Which mine fortunately doesn't suffer from. I think its safe to say both hardware manufacturers and Microsoft have work on their hands.
    11-22-2012 08:25 AM
    Yes mine is unlocked from an IT supplier with no Carrier software and reboots.
    So how do you make calls without a carrier?
    11-22-2012 08:25 AM
    Verizon pushed the date for launching wp8 because of network connectivity issues. Microsoft tweaked it and it passed. This has nothing to do with hardware or apps. It's in the OS and that's the bottom line. Verizon didn't load crap on the phone at all. Microsoft did the same thing with Vista. They removed some crap code and called it windows 7. They took 7 and loaded the metro ui over it and now we have no start button, but we have a useless ie in there that can't play flash, you have to switch to the desktop for everything you do. Both Nokia and HTC are rebooting. All I want is for Microsoft to come out and say, hey we have a problem and we are working on it. It doesn't matter what carrier or what apps we use. For all we know it could be the same thing that happened with no dumping unused info from prefetch. It could be building up til it just crashes.
    11-22-2012 08:37 AM
    Verizon pushed the date for launching wp8 because of network connectivity issues. Microsoft tweaked it and it passed. This has nothing to do with hardware or apps. It's in the OS and that's the bottom line. Verizon didn't load crap on the phone at all. Microsoft did the same thing with Vista. They removed some crap code and called it windows 7. They took 7 and loaded the metro ui over it and now we have no start button, but we have a useless ie in there that can't play flash, you have to switch to the desktop for everything you do. Both Nokia and HTC are rebooting. All I want is for Microsoft to come out and say, hey we have a problem and we are working on it. It doesn't matter what carrier or what apps we use. For all we know it could be the same thing that happened with no dumping unused info from prefetch. It could be building up til it just crashes.
    You seem to be a bit of a software genius. So please explain how when i have my phone on with no sim card in the phone doesnt reboot or have any issues at all? I can still connect to Wifi and do everything apart from call and text. As soon as i put a sim card in i get problems.
    11-22-2012 08:51 AM
    You seem to be a bit of a software genius. So please explain how when i have my phone on with no sim card in the phone doesnt reboot or have any issues at all? I can still connect to Wifi and do everything apart from call and text. As soon as i put a sim card in i get problems.
    It seems that you are very smart. This sounds like - "don't turn it on and you won't have any problems"

In your next post you may advise us not to complain and just use our phones without a SIM card... :D

It is a phone after all - if I can't use it with a SIM card, how do I use it?
    Last edited by dol4er; 11-22-2012 at 09:12 AM.
    11-22-2012 09:01 AM
    Now you just hit something there! No sim means your device is not even trying to connect to cell towers. You just answered the question as to whether or not it relates to software or hardware. So it is cellular connectivity.
    11-22-2012 09:10 AM
    It seems that you are very smart. In your next post you may advise us to use our phones without a SIM card...
    Well ive had a lot of issues with my 8x in the last week. Ive tried the phone with two different sim cards just to see if it made a difference. Seeing as my phones pretty much useless anyway I took the SIM out for a day just to see if it had any problems. Just grated a bit to see someone think that all MS did between vista and Windows 7 was remove some crap code and stick the metro UI over windows 7 to create 8.
    11-22-2012 09:11 AM
    Well ive had a lot of issues with my 8x in the last week. Ive tried the phone with two different sim cards just to see if it made a difference. Seeing as my phones pretty much useless anyway I took the SIM out for a day just to see if it had any problems. Just grated a bit to see someone think that all MS did between vista and Windows 7 was remove some crap code and stick the metro UI over windows 7 to create 8.
    That's the point - someone at HTC hasn't done his job testing their product before releasing it and there is no point in defending them for their mistake.
    11-22-2012 09:15 AM
    Now you just hit something there! No sim means your device is not even trying to connect to cell towers. You just answered the question as to whether or not it relates to software or hardware. So it is cellular connectivity.
    Indeed. Although it still doesnt answer who the problem is with.
    11-22-2012 09:16 AM
    Im not defending anyone. Someone has made a pretty fundamental error somewhere. If I had to pick on someone it would be either HTC, Nokia or the carriers. If it was MS it would be a widespread issue and I know that there are a lot of people with no problems so that rules out the OS as thats standard across all devices. Speaking to O2 they havent got a clue what to do - they havent even got a support page for the 8X yet on their website! and speaking to their support people they cant even give you a correct firmware version number. Their only response has been "bring the phone in for replacement". HTC havent got a clue either although they have admitted that there is an issue with a batch of phones but they cant recreate the problems people are having running just the OS and their software. So that again points me back to the carriers but it also lays the blame partially at HTC and Nokia - there is a large batch of phones in the first wave that someone didnt test properly either at the carrier or OEM end.
    11-22-2012 09:29 AM
    So how do you make calls without a carrier?
    I meant branding, or bloatware.
    11-22-2012 09:44 AM
    I meant branding, or bloatware.
    Im not sure that would casue problems anyway as it would be standard across all the phones with that bloatware and branding. My friend picked up his 8x the same day as me on the same network and hes not had a problem yet another friend picked up an 8x from the the same store as me two days later and hes had trouble as well. Its either a bad batch of phones or a bad batch of micro sims. Although a bad batch of phones would explain the 8x reboots it wouldnt explain the Lumia 920 reboots and two lots of bad batches of two different phones globally is practically impossible
    11-22-2012 10:09 AM
    I'm not trying to get anyone NOT to blame Microsoft or HTC, but there are many people who have had zero reboots - if this was purely a software issue, every single 8x would have the issue. I've had zero reboots after 8 days. That leads me to believe there is something in a manufacturing batch of wifi or BT radios, or a memory chip, or firmware... who knows? It could be a combination of software and hardware, maybe a conflict. I agree that no one's phones should be rebooting, and that there should've been more testing, but at some point Microsoft releases the software to the hardware manufacturers, and at that point it becomes HTC's responsibility to test and report back to Microsoft if there are conflicts.

The fact that Nokia also has reboots leads people to believe that it's the OS, and it's not a bad assumption - except that there are thousands of phones not having reboot issues. So that leaves us with a combination of factors causing it. It's that combination that we don't know.
    11-22-2012 10:18 AM
    it certainly isn't an "trending" topic for the 920.
    on some german forums where the device is longer/wider available (i bought mine on 5th in germany) you can read more about it.
    11-22-2012 10:19 AM

Almost all people experience reboots from day one or during the first week, so if HTC or Nokia had just tested several of their phones for a week they would have found out about the issue before selling them to us!
    A completely incorrect statement. With thousands of phones sold, a very small percentage have experienced reboots. If 'almost all' did it, the sheer mass of complaints would've caused a quick recall.
    11-22-2012 10:23 AM
    I'm not trying to get anyone NOT to blame Microsoft or HTC, but there are many people who have had zero reboots - if this was purely a software issue, every single 8x would have the issue. I've had zero reboots after 8 days. That leads me to believe there is something in a manufacturing batch of wifi or BT radios, or a memory chip, or firmware... who knows? It could be a combination of software and hardware, maybe a conflict. I agree that no one's phones should be rebooting, and that there should've been more testing, but at some point Microsoft releases the software to the hardware manufacturers, and at that point it becomes HTC's responsibility to test and report back to Microsoft if there are conflicts.

The fact that Nokia also has reboots leads people to believe that it's the OS, and it's not a bad assumption - except that there are thousands of phones not having reboot issues. So that leaves us with a combination of factors causing it. It's that combination that we don't know.
    Its good to have someone thinking along the same lines although you could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just said you agreed with me
    Coffee likes this.
    11-22-2012 10:46 AM
    I agree with Martin
    martinmc78 likes this.
    11-22-2012 10:51 AM
    I agree with Martin
    Can you tell that im really bored at work?
    11-22-2012 10:56 AM
    Well my wife is getting her 8x tomorrow, so maybe she won't have the issue. Oh and martin welcome to club boredom.😁
    martinmc78 likes this.
    11-22-2012 11:02 AM
    Important: I have been reading this thread... and I do have firmwares that some people have problems with, but I have no problems. I am starting to wonder if the problems don't come from faulty or badly adapted SIM cards on GSM devices...
    11-22-2012 11:04 AM
    Important: I have been reading this thread... and I do have firmwares that some people have problems with, but I have no problems. I am starting to wonder if the problems don't come from faulty or badly adapted SIM cards on GSM devices...
    It does look more and more like a sim issue as people start to test their phones in different scenarios.
    11-22-2012 11:11 AM
    It does look more and more like a sim issue as people start to test their phones in different scenarios.
    Hmm not sure about that ive got my standard o2 sim card and a giff gaff data only card that i use for internet sharing and i still got reboots with the giff gaff card
    11-22-2012 11:17 AM
    I got a new SIM just to be sure because my old one had some scratches from often changing phones. Didn't help...
    11-22-2012 11:17 AM

Except for the fact that I've had zero reboots in 7 days as well, but had 5 reboots before that. The real problem is, everybody has an opinion but nobody has a clue what's going on. We need to wait to hear from MS, Nokia, HTC.
    hipporama likes this.
    11-22-2012 11:18 AM
419 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD