07-21-2013 05:10 PM
419 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    OK so emailed RW and got a response - Copied his response below. Oceancalm - I passed on your email addy so hope he gets in touch soon.
    Hello Martin,

Update for you:

We don’t need you to meet with a field engineer, as he has the data he needs

You will be contacted shortly by someone from our support team about arranging the swap.

Regarding the forum:Firstly thanks for fighting our corner its much appreciated! Whenever an issue like this arises its tricky to diagnose as the symptoms can often vary from device to device, with some commonality. So we always follow a protocol whereby we would suggest the simplest fix first, in many instances resetting the device can really help. I am aware that this can be frustrating advice to some especially if it doesn’t resolve the situation immediately.

In this exact case there is a combination of Hardware and Software and this again complicates matters, sadly all I can tell you is that we are working on it on a global basis, and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the current issues. Sadly that is not the answer that anyone wants. Believe me, if I had more information to share I would.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the current experience with our support line, I will look into that this afternoon.

The best advice is actually pretty simple, if the device is very new, speak to your retailer (but you can testify that isn’t always the easiest answer!) alternatively call our support line on 0845 890 0079 and they will do everything they can to help,

I completely understand how restless and frustrated people are, it’s a new device you want it to be perfect, I completely get that.

Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask,

Thanks again for all your help and time with this matter,

Kind regards,

Richard Willis
    Digital Customer Communications Manager EMEA, Global Digital Customer Comms

11-27-2012 08:58 AM
    OK so emailed RW and got a response - Copied his response below. Oceancalm - I passed on your email addy so hope he gets in touch soon.
    Hello Martin,

Update for you:

We don’t need you to meet with a field engineer, as he has the data he needs

You will be contacted shortly by someone from our support team about arranging the swap.

Regarding the forum:Firstly thanks for fighting our corner its much appreciated! Whenever an issue like this arises its tricky to diagnose as the symptoms can often vary from device to device, with some commonality. So we always follow a protocol whereby we would suggest the simplest fix first, in many instances resetting the device can really help. I am aware that this can be frustrating advice to some especially if it doesn’t resolve the situation immediately.

In this exact case there is a combination of Hardware and Software and this again complicates matters, sadly all I can tell you is that we are working on it on a global basis, and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the current issues. Sadly that is not the answer that anyone wants. Believe me, if I had more information to share I would.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the current experience with our support line, I will look into that this afternoon.

The best advice is actually pretty simple, if the device is very new, speak to your retailer (but you can testify that isn’t always the easiest answer!) alternatively call our support line on 0845 890 0079 and they will do everything they can to help,

I completely understand how restless and frustrated people are, it’s a new device you want it to be perfect, I completely get that.

Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask,

Thanks again for all your help and time with this matter,

Kind regards,

Richard Willis
    Digital Customer Communications Manager EMEA, Global Digital Customer Comms

Cheers
    11-27-2012 09:27 AM
    Hi. We have no problems, but we use our phones mainly in 2G. Now many people in Germany on forums report that the reboot problems seem to go away when the phones are in 2G. So, I think that for those who have problems, it is worth a try. Switch your phones from 4G/3G to 2G when you don't need a fast connection... see what happens. Please report your findings here.
    Also... this problem is becoming large in the press, so press on and connect Nokia or HTC and complain... we need a fix ASAP.
    11-27-2012 09:39 AM
    Hi. We have no problems, but we use our phones mainly in 2G. Now many people in Germany on forums report that the reboot problems seem to go away when the phones are in 2G. So, I think that for those who have problems, it is worth a try. Switch your phones from 4G/3G to 2G when you don't need a fast connection... see what happens. Please report your findings here.
    Also... this problem is becoming large in the press, so press on and connect Nokia or HTC and complain... we need a fix ASAP.
    Cant speak for anyone else but i tried that - I even get reboots when the phone is in flight mode with everything off. The only time i dont get reboots is if i remove my sim card.
    Coolknight1968 likes this.
    11-27-2012 09:45 AM
    Is your SIM card a new type with enough memory?
    11-27-2012 09:58 AM
    Well i'm on "three", and they only have a 3g network..... so no go for me i'm afraid :(
    11-27-2012 10:02 AM
    Is your SIM card a new type with enough memory?
    Yes its a new microsim - I also have a data only microsim that i use for internet sharing with my surface and that causes reboots as well. I have also tried a simcard from an 8x on the same network with no issues and it still rebooted.
    11-27-2012 10:09 AM
    Yes its a new microsim - I also have a data only microsim that i use for internet sharing with my surface and that causes reboots as well. I have also tried a simcard from an 8x on the same network with no issues and it still rebooted.
    Weird... could be software or not...
    11-27-2012 10:12 AM
    Weird... could be software or not...
    Yes. I have given up trying to work it out. Have fed as much info as possible onto HTC and now im just waiting for them to courier me a replacement and take my one away.
    11-27-2012 10:46 AM
    Yes. I have given up trying to work it out. Have fed as much info as possible onto HTC and now im just waiting for them to courier me a replacement and take my one away.
    Who did you contact to get a replacement, if you don't mind me asking?
    11-27-2012 11:13 AM
    I repeat myself...
    Because it is possible that random reboots are due to bad "Memory" in your phone, you should... COMPLAIN and have your phone exchanged!
    That's extremely unlikely, given that the symptom is always a reboot (not a shutdown or freeze). Issues that are the result of bad memory are almost never that predictable

I still stand by it being an issue with cell network connectivity. No reboots in Airplane Mode since I got the phone on 11/15 despite it spending most weekdays with that on plus WiFi. Five reboots with Airplane Mode off.

I've disabled Attentive Phone for giggles, but I don't think it's going to help.
    11-27-2012 11:48 AM
    Well I have had mine replaced by the retailer this evening as I was on the border of my 28 days return period being up, and with HTC offering 3 weeks without a phone so they can diagnose a fault I couldn't wait. Got home switched it on, it went straight to the home screen after running through HTC connect... Odd I thought to myself, so I tapped the photo's tile and then albums to find photo's of the stores staff on the handset. I contacted customer services to complain and while they were arranging to exchange my handset again the phone rebooted so I'm getting a refund.

Thanks for passing my details on Martin, Richard did contact me, I gave him as much info about my fault as possible and explained I'd already changed the phone by the time I read the email (I was in the process of getting it changed when he sent it) and a whine about CS and wished him and his team the best for finding a speedy resolution to this issue for HTC's remaining customers.
    11-27-2012 01:10 PM
    It is reported that Microsoft figured out the problem and is working on an update. I never did have this problem, but glad it's getting solved.
    Microsoft Identified Windows Phone Rebooting Issue; Fix for December - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Coffee, DeathBreath and Dano79 like this.
    11-27-2012 05:30 PM
    Nice to know PDT I'm getting refunded for mine tomorrow and pondering what to do about a phone :(
    11-27-2012 06:27 PM
    I truly believe all of the noise we've caused helped push this through fairly quickly. Thanks to everyone who posted, chatted, called, emailed MS, HTC and Nokia.
    hipporama likes this.
    11-27-2012 06:28 PM
    Last night I downloaded an update from HTC for the connection setup app, since when I haven't had any reboots
    11-27-2012 07:12 PM
    Last night I downloaded an update from HTC for the connection setup app, since when I haven't had any reboots
    I doubt that had anything to do with it since that app doesn't run in the background at all, meaning: if you don't currently start the program to set up your phone's settings, it won't do any harm. I rather think it has to do with memory assignment of "always on" apps, maybe a bug in the phone launcher or contacts or background listener functionality (notification system, push services).

I bought an off-contract 8X at my local Wlamart yesterday, removed all those preinstalled apps and had basically nothing on there. Still, it rebooted twice within 3 hours. Haven't noticed any reboots afterwards but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Since I never leave any apps open in the background, it is hard to tell.
    11-27-2012 07:18 PM
    I feel like I'm going to jinx myself by saying this....

- removed skype and still was getting enough reboot but not as many
    - factor reset and didn't re download skype.... hasn't reboot in 24hrs now

HTC should be paying me for the amount of testing I've been doing with this device trying to figure out a trigger lol
    Magdy Samir likes this.
    11-28-2012 03:34 AM
    MS has finally acknowledged that there is a problem and will release a patch :) YES!
    11-28-2012 03:56 AM
    Thats what i thought, till it rebooted
    11-28-2012 04:04 AM
    Below is the last 24 hours with my 8X - HTC are supposed to be arranging for a direct exchange with me for a new handset but they are taking there time about it
    9:00 Reboot at desk - phone not in use
    9:05 Shutdown - phone not in use
    9:50 lost ability to sync office docs via skydrive
    10:30 Reboot at desk - phone not in use
    12:05 Shutdown - phone not in use
    12:20 Reboot at desk - phone not in use
    12:50 Sim error - phone not in use
    13:05 Sim error - phone not in use
    13:50 Reboot at desk - phone not in use
    14:20 Sim error - phone not in use
    14:30 Shutdown - phone not in use
    15:15 Sim error - phone not in use
    15:20 Sim error - half way through a text message
    19:00 Shutdown - phone not in use
    19:05 Shutdown - phone not in use
    19:10 Sim error - phone not in use
    19:40 Reboot at home - phone not in use
    07:00 Sim error - taking phone out of flight mode from overnight
    07:10 Reboot - checking mail
    07:20 Reboot - text message - Reboot resulted in a black screen with white exclamation mark !
    08:50 Sim error - during a phone call
    11-28-2012 04:09 AM
    Well, this seems to be SIM issue more than anything else.
    11-28-2012 04:18 AM
    Well, this seems to be SIM issue more than anything else.
    It would seem that way although yesterday was a bad day for sim errors. I still get sim errors with a different sim inserted though. The two shutdowns and sim error between 19:00 and 19:10 were with a giff gaff data only sim inserted
    11-28-2012 04:29 AM
    nm still rebooting lol
    Last edited by Villain; 11-28-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    11-28-2012 08:12 AM
    I'm not saying it's 100% hardware, but I've had 2 8x and have returned them both due to reboots and the second one also had sim errors all the time. I swapped for a lumia 920 and haven't had any of these issues. (4 days without a reboot).
    11-28-2012 09:50 AM
419 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD