Reboots

Mr Montgomery

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Had my Blue 8x for 2 weeks now. About 6-7 reboots (that I've caught !) They have always been when the phone is sitting idle. SIM-free, GiffGaff in UK

Name: Windows Phone
Model: HTC Windows Phone 8X by HTC
Software: Windows Phone 8.0
Screen Resolution 720x1280

OS Version: 8.0.9903.10
Firmware revision number: 1532.20.10024.401
Hardware revision number: 0002
Radio software version: 1.10.32.19.19_3_15.39.32.19
Radio hardware version: 2.126.0.D4
Bootloader version: 0.0.1532.20(156943)
Chip SOC version: 8260A

scobi

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Chiming in... I got my phone on the 18th, had a single random reboot on the 19th, [Hoping not to jinx myself] since then no more reboots. I did have updates for a couple apps and applied them after the initial reboot, since then it's been pretty solid. Not sure if that fixed it or not - seem to recall the updates were an AT&T app and the Attentive app... I think...

Reboot came in good coverage area while phone was sitting on a desk during a meeting - nothing touching or squeezing it. Just heard a buzz and looked down to see the boot screen.

:)

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, after 10 days of having my verizon 8x, i just had my first reboot. i was streaming music in my car via BT. I shut off my car and noticed that the music player keeps playing so i tapped pause. There was no immediate response and then it went dark and rebooted.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK so heres an update. RIchard Willis has been in contact today saying that they have an engineer in the UK from the HQ in Taiwan. He has requested that the engineer visit me and take note of when and where my phone has issues - and those issues include reboots, sim errors, shutdowns, app problems so they can try and recreate them and resolve the problem.

I know a lot of you are just returning your phones for replacements but for those of you that have just picked up your 8x and are new to this problem hopefully after the engineers visit with me this week there will be a definite answer to the issue and an appropriate fix incoming. WIll keep everyone updated via this thread as this seems to be the go to place for 8X problems.

drewho

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
OK so heres an update. RIchard Willis has been in contact today saying that they have an engineer in the UK from the HQ in Taiwan. He has requested that the engineer visit me and take note of when and where my phone has issues - and those issues include reboots, sim errors, shutdowns, app problems so they can try and recreate them and resolve the problem.

I know a lot of you are just returning your phones for replacements but for those of you that have just picked up your 8x and are new to this problem hopefully after the engineers visit with me this week there will be a definite answer to the issue and an appropriate fix incoming. WIll keep everyone updated via this thread as this seems to be the go to place for 8X problems.

Very interesting, hope it sheds some light on this issue

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting, hope it sheds some light on this issue

Me too have had to put up with an almost useless phone for over a week while HTC try and get things arranged. But if its for the greater good then i dont mind too much. Only bonus to me hardly using my phone is ive got loads of my data allowance to use for internet sharing my Surface.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Nicooke - get in touch with HTC sending the phones back to clove doesnt help the situation. The more faulty phones HTC can get there hands on the sooner they can pin down the issue and hit the carriers with a fix for the problem

If your 8X reboots, return it to HTC. These Phones are faulty in my opinion and HTC needs the phones to find out what is wrong with them.
I have 2, in my office we have 4, no issues.

You should contact HTC support on their site and explain the problem and ask for a new phone.

Except after my call from HTC today you could be without a phone for up to 3 weeks going via HTC, oh and you get a refurb back but it's guaranteed to not have any faults so that's a bonus on a 24 day old phone... right???

well mines going back to the store tomorrow as HTC aren't getting my money with their poor dealings with me, sad but true.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just reporting back in. Weirdly I have not had a single reboot in 9 days. For reference, I had 5 the first two days.

are you sure you've not had a reboot? have all the tabs in IE stayed available? apps list still there? Mine has a habit of rebooting at about 12:20am a time where normally I wouldn't notice it because I'd be asleep

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it is a background apps issue. Poor signal + trying to run a background task = problem? I suggest this because I have noticed several times after a reboot that all my background tasks are disabled. (In fact, I couldn't even re-enable NewsSpot's task by any method, so for now it's uninstalled and I'm back to Nextgen Reader - could be a bug with the app though!)

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Picked one up today at Walmart (T-Mobile USA - off-contract). Had 2 reboots within 3 hours. Basically, I didn't do anything other than removing some of the preinstalled apps.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Except after my call from HTC today you could be without a phone for up to 3 weeks going via HTC, oh and you get a refurb back but it's guaranteed to not have any faults so that's a bonus on a 24 day old phone... right???

well mines going back to the store tomorrow as HTC aren't getting my money with their poor dealings with me, sad but true.

I went about things slightly differently and didnt call HTC support. I posted on twitter to HTC that i was having major issues with my 8X. They followed me and I DM'd them the list of issues i was having. They said someone would be in touch and I was expecting a first line support call. Didnt expect to get a call from the Customer Communications Manager for HTC Europe. Looks like ive had a bit of a better experience although im still using a faulty phone while they arrange a courier to bring me a new phone directly and take my faulty one away. It does now look like im going to have to wait a little longer as well if I have to have a HTC engineer sit with me and try and recreate my problems.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went about things slightly differently and didnt call HTC support. I posted on twitter to HTC that i was having major issues with my 8X. They followed me and I DM'd them the list of issues i was having. They said someone would be in touch and I was expecting a first line support call. Didnt expect to get a call from the Customer Communications Manager for HTC Europe. Looks like ive had a bit of a better experience although im still using a faulty phone while they arrange a courier to bring me a new phone directly and take my faulty one away. It does now look like im going to have to wait a little longer as well if I have to have a HTC engineer sit with me and try and recreate my problems.

I've contacted HTC on twitter and had no response, HTC have lost a long time customer over this :-(

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I repeat myself...
Because it is possible that random reboots are due to bad "Memory" in your phone, you should... COMPLAIN and have your phone exchanged!
Fact is that we have 4 (8X HSPA+) phones in our office and they don't reboot.
Also, here in Switzerland, with completely different carriers some people have reboot problems.
So, it is not at all impossible, that who ever is making the memory has shipped a huge batch of defect modules to HTC and Nokia as they needed the same parts to make the Windows Phone 8 devices.
The only other thing to try is to uninstall Skype and Whatsapp, reboot the phone and see if this helps, which most of the time does not help.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I repeat myself...
Because it is possible that random reboots are due to bad "Memory" in your phone, you should... COMPLAIN and have your phone exchanged!
Fact is that we have 4 (8X HSPA+) phones in our office and they don't reboot.
Also, here in Switzerland, with completely different carriers some people have reboot problems.
So, it is not at all impossible, that who ever is making the memory has shipped a huge batch of defect modules to HTC and Nokia as they needed the same parts to make the Windows Phone 8 devices.
The only other thing to try is to uninstall Skype and Whatsapp, reboot the phone and see if this helps, which most of the time does not help.

Sorry - But if it was that simple HTC and Nokia would have both come out with a bad batch of memory statement or bad batch of whatever and issued a recall. Bottom line is they still dont know whats causing the reboots or the many other issues users are having. I agree that complaining and getting your phone exchanged is probably the best course of action, that option isnt available for some people though and in my case it seems that ive managed to get to the top of the pile with HTC.

It is really good to hear that you are not having any issues as that confirms that the problems are not widespread and there are perfectly good devices out there. Im hoping that by helping out HTC as much as possible with the problems my phone has that it will help everyone else with issues.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I'm lucky like you and have been in contact with Richard. We're in the process of arranging the engineer to come to my work to try and recreate it in the same location I've had it. However it's so random I doubt he'd be able to recreate it. Fingers crossed though!

Luinwethion

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I had my first reboot :devil:

I just took the phone out of my jacket and I saw the "Insert your PIN" screen.... And later i took a photo and I wanted to share it, but the screen went back and the softkeys (back, home and search) were red (of another color in this range) (I'm colorblind) and after a few seconds the HTC logo was on screen.....

I contacted HTC Netherlands and their answer is "Reset your phone".... If the phone keeps rebooting and giving sound distortion, I will send it back, and wait for the Lumia to come out in my country or wait HTC to fix those problems...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb