Reboots

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just checking in to say it has happened to me too, but one time instead of booting back up it displayed nothing but a big exclamation mark on screen for 30 secs, then rebooted again.
I think because so many people are seeing issues that it is software. Not even the original 360 had hardware issues this endemic.

Also, I got mine on the third and it didn't reboot at all until yesterday. Since then it has done it three times. Once while I was using the phone.

If it is software, my current theories are that it's something to do with multitasking/background tasks.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My 920 has some stability issues as well. It has been stable for the last 48 hours, but it just froze on me as I was trying to download angry birds star wars.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine has done two today - seemingly no link I can find without being able to see a log from the OS. Really hope this is software - generally a reboot as the result of hardware would indicate a short or overheating neither of which I think would be happening here.

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine has done two today - seemingly no link I can find without being able to see a log from the OS. Really hope this is software - generally a reboot as the result of hardware would indicate a short or overheating neither of which I think would be happening here.
Have you tried a factory reset? I agree that it likely isn't overheating as it occurs when nothing is going on and the phone isn't warm. And a short wouldn't have such long gaps between.
I'm worried because I don't want to have to go without my phone for a week if they want to send it off - and I don't want a two or three month wait for a software update.

EDIT: I should add, HTC told me to give it a factory reset, but I think they just didn't know what was up.

Last edited:

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset? I agree that it likely isn't overheating as it occurs when nothing is going on and the phone isn't warm. And a short wouldn't have such long gaps between.
I'm worried because I don't want to have to go without my phone for a week if they want to send it off - and I don't want a two or three month wait for a software update.

EDIT: I should add, HTC told me to give it a factory reset, but I think they just didn't know what was up.
Not done a factory reset as my phone is all nicely set up and don't want to have to do it all again. If it transpires this is software I'll be willing to do it though I agree I don't think they know what is going on. Either way it isn't tooooo much of an issue for me at present.

Davidmuful

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not done a factory reset as my phone is all nicely set up and don't want to have to do it all again. If it transpires this is software I'll be willing to do it though I agree I don't think they know what is going on. Either way it isn't tooooo much of an issue for me at present.
Have done a factory reset, and maybe 30 mins later had a reboot. I did reinstall all my frequently used apps. I am not sure if it might be one of the htc apps, gonna uninstall those and see.
I also want to know very soon what kind of issue this is so that I can just return it for a new phone instead of having to send it for repair later.

EDIT: we do know at least that it isn't some kind of flashing error as a reset doesn't help. Also, if it is an app it is probably a HTC one, since our app overlap is likely small and we know it isn't Facebook. As well as all this, it could be a firmware issue. Or, it could be hardware, but I have never heard of this kind of problem before - usually it would be related to the phone not heatsyncing effectively. It seems too common to be hardware, hardly any have sold and some people have both theirs and their partner's doing it. My money is on an HTC enhancement or firmware.

Last edited:

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, has anyone tried uninstalling the HTC Hub? It has to be running in the background in order to update the clock tile in real time, right? Maybe that's an issue.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It's a brand new phone on a brand new OS, so teething problems while annoying, shouldn't be totally unexpected.

Hopefully it will all be resolved before too long, hang in there guys.

DonMorris

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had these issues and about the only thing I can think of is that I disabled tap and send, something for you folks to try?

mberdych

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It can't be app otherwise MS screwed up something fundamentally. App can't have a right to force reboot. Anyway, HTC Hub was not installed on my and no difference. I would believe it is a firmware issue. Other option would be faulty memory and could depend on how much you are using for example. I know that WP devices had those issues on 1st and 2nd generations. I had 5,5Gig free on mine. Anyway sent mine to service, although not expecting too much.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I will take it to service, but I am afraid, they just return it with message that it didn't happen. Well, I'll see.

Let's hope they show what great customer support they have. It is one reason why I'm, so confident about getting a Nokia.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I agree that no app should be able to cause a reboot, it could always be a bug that allows it. Since uninstalling the htc app and the connection setup app yesterday i have seen no reboots. I have tap and send enabled. I will keep updating my mileage on the reboot front without these apps. Htc live chat can't read external web pages so couldn't read this thread rather stupidly but at least should be aware.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree that most apps shouldn't cause the phone to reboot. But some of the OEM apps have deeper privileges that are not available to normal apps. That's why it's possible for them to cause problems. Not saying that the apps are the cause, just saying that it's possible.

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
To owners, please keep us posted on how uninstalling HTC Hub or other apps help or didn't help. Mine is on the way and I hope it isn't a hardware issue.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb