Reboots

tobygwinn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I asked in the Nokia 810 forum and no one seems to be having this issue at all. So, I guess I will settle for the 810 on tmobile since this thread is scaring the crap out of me. I would hate to drop the money just to have this many issues. I would think that someone would be experiencing the same on the 810 if it was a os issue but I've yet to see a case of it......yet.

ElwynJ

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC Response

Send phone back to shop - doh! mine was sent to me by O2.
Remove apps - Why?
Apps should not by design interfere with the hardware - MS have sandboxed them.
Not all phones have the same apps installed except the default ones. Not all phones behave the same way. We have not heard from anyone who has NOT had a reboot.
I think the issue is probably in faulty components, eg a leaky capacitor that triggers a signal change and acts like a switch off and on. HTC seemed to rush this phone through production - suddenly they were in front on supply. Maybe a little too eager to get a big slice of the market?

I was about to take a pic with the camera and the reboot activated.
I get the tickle in my shirt pocket and then check - yes reboot in process.

Today no reboot noticed - but am I going to be surprised. Time will tell - I sit here waiting for the reboot - how sad is that?

I am waiting for a further reply from tech support -asked then for another phone to check alongside my existing one. Not confident that they will allow that to happen, but it is the best way. The phone itself is fine - loving the style - but it isn't the only choice out there. HTC needs to bend over backwards to keep customers loyal.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I just spoke to HTC again. They are escalating the issue. Seems a bit stupid that their live chat guys can't access links... but I digress.

They recommended that I return my unit as DOA but as lots of you have done so and it hasn't helped I am loath to do this.

If this isn't solved quickly this may be the last htc device I ever buy - and my first one was an HTC Wizard!

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke to HTC again. They are escalating the issue. Seems a bit stupid that their live chat guys can't access links... but I digress.

They recommended that I return my unit as DOA but as lots of you have done so and it hasn't helped I am loath to do this.

If this isn't solved quickly this may be the last htc device I ever buy - and my first one was an HTC Wizard!

That's funny, i've spoken to them and they seem to think it's just my device. Even after telling them that i've spoken to others that have the same problem, they insist they've had no other complaints.

They also say my audio issue is just my phone. I'm going to get a replacement and see if it really is just my device.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This is the second time I have spoken to them. The first time they didn't really do anything.

I passed on this thread and the Microsoft one. The people on live chat can't view them but their supervisors can and they assured me they would escalate and let me know the result. I would suggest more people on this thread head over the HTC live chat and tell them - the more reports they see, the more they will pressure MS too.

jmod14

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is the second time I have spoken to them. The first time they didn't really do anything.

I passed on this thread and the Microsoft one. The people on live chat can't view them but their supervisors can and they assured me they would escalate and let me know the result. I would suggest more people on this thread head over the HTC live chat and tell them - the more reports they see, the more they will pressure MS too.
Hi All,

I have had my 8X since Saturday and have today have had my 4th reboot. I have had a mixture of mid-use and phone sitting on the desk with no interaction reboots. I can't say that there has been one particular app/ activity I have been doing consistently for this to happen - it seems completely random.

Spurred on by the previous posts in this thread I today contacted HTC via the live chat system on their website. Below is the conversation:

Me: Hi there
Robert: Hi Joseph , thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.
Robert: Please try a factory reset on the device. Instructions linked below.
Robert: Factory reset
Robert: Note: Make sure you fully set up the device on the initial set up after the reset, to prevent further issues.

Should the above fail, I would advise contacting your retailer to see if they can offer any further services e.g. A repair or replacement device. If they are not able to help please contact us back via email, phone or chat to arrange a repair. I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and I thank you for your patience and co-operation.
I hope that this information meets with your requirements, should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Me: I would just like to link you to a forum thread where more people are having this problem
Me: some of them have tried factory resets and have exchanged for new handsets however this issue is recurrent
Me: From windows phone forum: http://forums.windowscentral.com/8x/200872.htm
Me: I have been informed that you cannot access these links but your supervisors can, can you escalate this to them please?
Robert: Thank you for that information, But as this is a new device that is all that can be done at this current stage, if we were to find any known issues with our products we will let our customers know, But at this current time there is no known issue.
Robert: for your information I can not access 3rd party website's on my computer due to Internet restrictions.
Robert: I will pass this onto the relevant department for an investigation. Your reference number is XXXXXXXXX.
Me: ok, I appreciate your help, I have had this phone since saturday and have had a total of 4 random restarts since then (5 days) I dont really think it is acceptable to have this issue on a phone that costs this much.
Me: I just hope you guys acknowledge that there is an issue (could be OS or hardware related) and fix it either with a patch or a recall and exchange for a new device
Robert: we will rectify any issue if one is found, e.g. like you said replacement or software update depending on the circumstances etc. I do apologise as new devices should not have issues from the word go, I myself would be upset. Thank you for your patience and co-operation and to keeping a loyal customer with us.
Me: It is not a dealbreaker for me however it would be nice to know that this is being actively looked at
Robert: I can confirm I have passed this information on, as will my other co workers if and when they get any issues about our devices, we have a process to follow, so if an issue is found it is rectified ASAP.

I think what we need to do is keep the pressure on HTC and MS so that they actually recognise that there is an issue - be it an OS or a hardware problem.

As mentioned by a previous poster- I am surprised that they did not pick up on this in testing, I find it very hard to believe that HTC would release a phone without many hundreds or even thousands of hours of strenuous testing beforehand. Surely this would have been seen in testing and fixed before being released to market. Or maybe I am being too optimistic :s

Regards,
jmod14

strokee

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This entire launch was rushed. There were numerous stickers back in early-mid September saying that Microsoft was way behind on WP8...they delayed launch once and thought they may have to delay it a second time.

The articles say that they were encountering many bugs and that HTC was having a particularly difficult time during testing. HTC and Nokia were not allowed to show off WP8 during their device launches...not because Microsoft was keeping things secret to generate buzz. It was done so because the OS had not been tested enough to trust stability.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The first guy I spoke to said there was no issue they knew off. The second guy I spoke to said there was no issue they knew of, but once I satisfied him that there were numerous reports then I was passed to someone else to take my details. I agree - please anyone who can, get on HTC live chat and keep up the pressure.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The first guy I spoke to said there was no issue they knew off. The second guy I spoke to said there was no issue they knew of, but once I satisfied him that there were numerous reports then I was passed to someone else to take my details. I agree - please anyone who can, get on HTC live chat and keep up the pressure.

I need a phone first to have the issue :p :confused: :lol: :straight: :mad:

jmod14

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing that this thread is going to become very busy over the next days and weeks as the uptake of the HTC 8x grows (Lumia 920 also seems to be having similar issues). Hopefully they will not be able to ignore the level of consumer feedback on this specific issue.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 8X for around a week and I've not had 1 single reboot honestly I am not sure why, But I bought mine Sim Free so I wonder if the lack of Network firmware on the phone is why I have not got any reboots?.

Or does anyone else have a sim free unbranded 8x that does actually suffer reboots?

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
On o2 UK, had my 8X for more than a week now - it rebooted yesterday for the first time :(

Hasn't done it since, fingers crossed, but sad to see it happen!

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 8X for around a week and I've not had 1 single reboot honestly I am not sure why, But I bought mine Sim Free so I wonder if the lack of Network firmware on the phone is why I have not got any reboots?.

Or does anyone else have a sim free unbranded 8x that does actually suffer reboots?

Mine is Sim Free from Phones4U and has rebooted 5 times in 11 days.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Mine is sim free. Had 5 reboots in 4 days.

SeBsZ

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Blue HTC 8X for 1 day now and I just had my first random reboot a few minutes ago. I wasn't touching it it was sitting on my desk and I noticed it vibrate and showing the HTC logo.

If anyone is reading this with the same issue but hasn't posted yet, please do. This will only be solved if everyone decides to post that they're having the issue - else they'll just ignore us.

I will post when I get more reboots!

jmod14

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just to add to this, my reboots have become more frequent since my post yesterday. It had previously been once a day but within the last 24 hours I have had a total of 3...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6