Reboots

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick thought - is everyone using one of the custom themes from Nokia or HTC on their rebooting devices? I changed mine and not had a reboot since last night. Doesn't necessarily mean anything but all worth a try.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Be thankful your only getting reboots - 16 days in and my 8x is useless - after initial 2 days of reboots phone was perfect for 12 days - since friday just gone im getting major issues including reboots starting up again, sim errors, people hub not working, messaging not working, phonebook not working, unable to fetch data from feeds. Have spoken to O2 and they havent got a clue, have also been in touch with the comms manager at HTC UK - they dont know what the issue is but they are pointing the finger at O2 and the software not at the hardware. HTC were much more helpful than O2 were - i feel like ive got someone in my corner now rather than being messed about by call centre numpties

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have had no reboots yet... Black Verizon 8X

OS 8.0.9905.12
Firmware 1532.20.10110.605
Bootloader 0.0.1532.20(157404)

Same model here with no reboots yet. Although we went out of town and I lost all data outside my home town. Had to reboot the phone. When it came up it had the no sim symbol for a few minutes. I'm just wondering if the phones are losing connection with the cell system causing issues. I noticed that my phone ate up the battery on the trip, but at home it lasts all day without a hiccup.

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Little bit of a comment from left field here but I'm still on a WP7 handset and had a brutal number of reboots over the weekend too.
Maybe something is happening on the backend of apps/OS (Microsoft's side) that's glitching the phones? They have been having marketplace issues and I don't believe those were WP7 specific.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I got disconnected from my original webchat so here's where it gets picked up. :-

Peter : Hi Jon, cheers
Jon: Would you like me to check if Matt is available for you?
Peter : don't mind, would just like a phone that works :-/
Jon: I understand that you are having problems with your device rebooting and that you have performed a reset on the phone. Can you just confirm that this was a factory reset?
Peter : Settings / About / Reset Your Phone
Jon: Yes, that would be a factory reset. I am sorry but In that case I would recommend that you return the device to your retailer for an exchange. This is not a known fault so I would not anticipate that you would have any further issues with a replacement handset.
Peter : not a known issue?? Windows Phone 8 users report random reboots and battery issues | The Verge
Peter : http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/200872-reboots.html
Peter : 8X reboot survey - xda-developers
Jon: I understand that there are reports of similar issues on the internet, but this is not a known issue.
Peter : I purchased the device on the 2nd I thought there was a 14 day returns policy?
Jon: That is dependent on your retailer. If your retailer is not able to exchange then we would need to book the device for repair.
Peter : cheers for your time Jon, seems it was a waste of mine

so Apparently though it's been reported and people are calling them reporting this it's not a known problem :/

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC weren't interested in the data I'm trying to collect from the survey. Which surprised me. I am almost certain it is soft/firmware now though so taking the thing back wouldn't do any good. This really needs MS to hop on it fast.

drewho

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I got disconnected from my original webchat so here's where it gets picked up. :-

Peter : Hi Jon, cheers
Jon: Would you like me to check if Matt is available for you?
Peter : don't mind, would just like a phone that works :-/
Jon: I understand that you are having problems with your device rebooting and that you have performed a reset on the phone. Can you just confirm that this was a factory reset?
Peter : Settings / About / Reset Your Phone
Jon: Yes, that would be a factory reset. I am sorry but In that case I would recommend that you return the device to your retailer for an exchange. This is not a known fault so I would not anticipate that you would have any further issues with a replacement handset.
Peter : not a known issue?? Windows Phone 8 users report random reboots and battery issues | The Verge
Peter : http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/200872-reboots.html
Peter : 8X reboot survey - xda-developers
Jon: I understand that there are reports of similar issues on the internet, but this is not a known issue.
Peter : I purchased the device on the 2nd I thought there was a 14 day returns policy?
Jon: That is dependent on your retailer. If your retailer is not able to exchange then we would need to book the device for repair.
Peter : cheers for your time Jon, seems it was a waste of mine

so Apparently though it's been reported and people are calling them reporting this it's not a known problem :/

Wouldn't worry too much about that though, he's just a phone jockey with a list of fixable problems, our fix will "hopefully" come from an update

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
You would think that The Verge posting about it would have an effect. I just pinged @HTCUSA and @WinPhoneSupport about it on Twitter, but I'm not expecting any results. That said, we need to keep on them about this.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Speaking again with HTC now. They basically said it is the OS and they don't even have a manual at present. A very helpful guy called Matthias is now in possession of the survey results.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Speaking again with HTC now. They basically said it is the OS and they don't even have a manual at present. A very helpful guy called Matthias is now in possession of the survey results.

Its good to see were getting through to HTC - just a shame it seems to be down to a bad batch from the carrier and the OS.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
We still don't have an official acknowledgement that it's recognized or that it's getting fixed. Until then, HTC and Microsoft need to be yelled at as loudly as possible.

Tom Warren on The Verge (the person who posted that article) uses WP8 as his daily driver and isn't trying to kill the platform. But as it stands, I can't recommend the 8X to anyone because of this issue. It needs to get fixed or the platform will suffer for it. It's not good that Microsoft's so-called signature device has an issue of this magnitude.

Edit: Oops, this was meant to be a reply to Joelist. Hit the wrong button.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We still don't have an official acknowledgement that it's recognized or that it's getting fixed. Until then, HTC and Microsoft need to be yelled at as loudly as possible.

Dont forget we will be in the minority, there will be hundreds of people with absolutely no issues. I think Microsofts priority will be on delivering the features they showed off at launch before they start ironing out bugs in a limited number of handsets as the majority of them are still in beta or not yet available. The manager i spoke to at HTC acknowledged the reboot issue but he said in all thier hardware testing they couldnt replicate the issues. I think all we can do is get a new handset and hope for the best.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Dont forget we will be in the minority, there will be hundreds of people with absolutely no issues. I think Microsofts priority will be on delivering the features they showed off at launch before they start ironing out bugs in a limited number of handsets as the majority of them are still in beta or not yet available. The manager i spoke to at HTC acknowledged the reboot issue but he said in all thier hardware testing they couldnt replicate the issues. I think all we can do is get a new handset and hope for the best.
I'm not sure if I've heard from anyone who has had their 8X for over a week who hasn't had a reboot, to be honest.

It doesn't seem worth it to grab a new handset given that most (if not all) appear to be affected by the issue.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Verizon 8X here, I responded to the survey. No reboots so far, I have one attentive phone setting active, no to update auto downloads, but yes to notifications and I have everything else up and going all the time, ie. BT, NFC, Wi-Fi are all on. Same software/firmware versions as already posted for Verizon.

Oh, I got mine on the 15th.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth...

I keep my phone on Airplane Mode during the day, as I have no reception in my office. I keep WiFi on, though. That said, I have not yet had a reboot with the cell radios off. I'll update if I do.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if I've heard from anyone who has had their 8X for over a week who hasn't had a reboot, to be honest.

It doesn't seem worth it to grab a new handset given that most (if not all) appear to be affected by the issue.

Ive heard from a few on here and personally know 3 people with 8X's that have had no issues at all. The majority of people that are happy with devices dont use the forums as they have no need. Would make for pretty boring reading if everyone with an 8x posted that there phone was ok.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted Tom Warren at the Verge about these reboots, linking this thread and the one i created over at MS answers. 2 Hours later, the story is on the Verge. Where is my source note?! Haha. In all seriousness though, MS has to sort this now. I'm on my second 8X and it still has reboots, so it's 100% software.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd be shocked if it were hardware. That said, I'm guessing it has to do with the network stack, specifically with regards to cellular data. I don't think it's a problem with any particular app, given that it appears that people have had the issue regardless of what apps they have had installed.

I can't think of anything else that would be that random and, yet, predictable. It's always the same result (a reboot), just at unpredictable times. It's never a freeze or anything else; it's always what appears to be a kernel panic.

I wish we had an Event Viewer on these things.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Had my 8x for 4-5 days and just experienced my first reboot. I would imagine it's a software issue on HTC's side. For HTC's sake it better be software...

Edit: Dafuq! It just rebooted again! Hour between reboots! Nooooo!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05