Reboots

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Im not defending anyone. Someone has made a pretty fundamental error somewhere. If I had to pick on someone it would be either HTC, Nokia or the carriers. If it was MS it would be a widespread issue and I know that there are a lot of people with no problems so that rules out the OS as thats standard across all devices. Speaking to O2 they havent got a clue what to do - they havent even got a support page for the 8X yet on their website! and speaking to their support people they cant even give you a correct firmware version number. Their only response has been "bring the phone in for replacement". HTC havent got a clue either although they have admitted that there is an issue with a batch of phones but they cant recreate the problems people are having running just the OS and their software. So that again points me back to the carriers but it also lays the blame partially at HTC and Nokia - there is a large batch of phones in the first wave that someone didnt test properly either at the carrier or OEM end.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I meant branding, or bloatware.

Im not sure that would casue problems anyway as it would be standard across all the phones with that bloatware and branding. My friend picked up his 8x the same day as me on the same network and hes not had a problem yet another friend picked up an 8x from the the same store as me two days later and hes had trouble as well. Its either a bad batch of phones or a bad batch of micro sims. Although a bad batch of phones would explain the 8x reboots it wouldnt explain the Lumia 920 reboots and two lots of bad batches of two different phones globally is practically impossible

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to get anyone NOT to blame Microsoft or HTC, but there are many people who have had zero reboots - if this was purely a software issue, every single 8x would have the issue. I've had zero reboots after 8 days. That leads me to believe there is something in a manufacturing batch of wifi or BT radios, or a memory chip, or firmware... who knows? It could be a combination of software and hardware, maybe a conflict. I agree that no one's phones should be rebooting, and that there should've been more testing, but at some point Microsoft releases the software to the hardware manufacturers, and at that point it becomes HTC's responsibility to test and report back to Microsoft if there are conflicts.

The fact that Nokia also has reboots leads people to believe that it's the OS, and it's not a bad assumption - except that there are thousands of phones not having reboot issues. So that leaves us with a combination of factors causing it. It's that combination that we don't know.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Almost all people experience reboots from day one or during the first week, so if HTC or Nokia had just tested several of their phones for a week they would have found out about the issue before selling them to us!

A completely incorrect statement. With thousands of phones sold, a very small percentage have experienced reboots. If 'almost all' did it, the sheer mass of complaints would've caused a quick recall.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not trying to get anyone NOT to blame Microsoft or HTC, but there are many people who have had zero reboots - if this was purely a software issue, every single 8x would have the issue. I've had zero reboots after 8 days. That leads me to believe there is something in a manufacturing batch of wifi or BT radios, or a memory chip, or firmware... who knows? It could be a combination of software and hardware, maybe a conflict. I agree that no one's phones should be rebooting, and that there should've been more testing, but at some point Microsoft releases the software to the hardware manufacturers, and at that point it becomes HTC's responsibility to test and report back to Microsoft if there are conflicts.

The fact that Nokia also has reboots leads people to believe that it's the OS, and it's not a bad assumption - except that there are thousands of phones not having reboot issues. So that leaves us with a combination of factors causing it. It's that combination that we don't know.

Its good to have someone thinking along the same lines although you could have saved yourself a lot of typing and just said you agreed with me :wink:

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Important: I have been reading this thread... and I do have firmwares that some people have problems with, but I have no problems. I am starting to wonder if the problems don't come from faulty or badly adapted SIM cards on GSM devices...

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Important: I have been reading this thread... and I do have firmwares that some people have problems with, but I have no problems. I am starting to wonder if the problems don't come from faulty or badly adapted SIM cards on GSM devices...

It does look more and more like a sim issue as people start to test their phones in different scenarios.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It does look more and more like a sim issue as people start to test their phones in different scenarios.

Hmm not sure about that ive got my standard o2 sim card and a giff gaff data only card that i use for internet sharing and i still got reboots with the giff gaff card

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Except for the fact that I've had zero reboots in 7 days as well, but had 5 reboots before that. The real problem is, everybody has an opinion but nobody has a clue what's going on. We need to wait to hear from MS, Nokia, HTC.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Except for the fact that I've had zero reboots in 7 days as well, but had 5 reboots before that. The real problem is, everybody has an opinion but nobody has a clue what's going on. We need to wait to hear from MS, Nokia, HTC.
I had reboots the first two days none for 12, now getting 8+ a day for almost a week.

Your right though everyones speculating on what the problem is and whos to blame but thats only becasue the people that should know the answers arent giving us any.

Personally im starting to think its all a ploy by Samsung They got their ninjas to infiltrate nokia and htc production lines on the first shipment and modified the batch with a samsung crash ray gun (patent copied from apple of course). They are hoping we all get fed up of our faulty devices and just as were getting to our wits end with the lack of response from HTC and Nokia - BAM - They release the perfectly working Ativ S just in time for the holidays with plenty of stock and generate 10 million sales in the first weekend

rkremers

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 8X on Verizon for a full week now, and I've yet to have a single reboot. Is it possible this is not affecting Verizon 8Xs?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 8X on Verizon for a full week now, and I've yet to have a single reboot. Is it possible this is not affecting Verizon 8Xs?

No, ive had my 8x for 2 weeks now, UK international sim free version, and its not rebooted once. It has hung at the lock screen on one occasion though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99