Reboots

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm lucky like you and have been in contact with Richard. We're in the process of arranging the engineer to come to my work to try and recreate it in the same location I've had it. However it's so random I doubt he'd be able to recreate it. Fingers crossed though!
Ive started keeping a diary of times and conditions of the phone and location of when im getting issues for two full working days. Although sitting with an engineer from HTC all day would be pretty sweet picking up little tips and tricks what happens to the phone does seem pretty random and may be quite pointless for him.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went about things slightly differently and didnt call HTC support. I posted on twitter to HTC that i was having major issues with my 8X. They followed me and I DM'd them the list of issues i was having. They said someone would be in touch and I was expecting a first line support call. Didnt expect to get a call from the Customer Communications Manager for HTC Europe. Looks like ive had a bit of a better experience although im still using a faulty phone while they arrange a courier to bring me a new phone directly and take my faulty one away. It does now look like im going to have to wait a little longer as well if I have to have a HTC engineer sit with me and try and recreate my problems.

Ive started keeping a diary of times and conditions of the phone and location of when im getting issues for two full working days. Although sitting with an engineer from HTC all day would be pretty sweet picking up little tips and tricks what happens to the phone does seem pretty random and may be quite pointless for him.

I'm lucky like you and have been in contact with Richard. We're in the process of arranging the engineer to come to my work to try and recreate it in the same location I've had it. However it's so random I doubt he'd be able to recreate it. Fingers crossed though!

Can you guys do me a favour and let Richard know that the support being offered by HTC to us poor plebs who have to deal with CS is attrocious enough to get customers to follow their CS advice and return the handset.

Cheers.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Can you guys do me a favour and let Richard know that the support being offered by HTC to us poor plebs who have to deal with CS is attrocious enough to get customers to follow their CS advice and return the handset.

Cheers.

Yes - Will ping him an email now and let you know the response. an you give me your location as Richard only deals with Europe - may well be different if your anywhere else on the planet

medalat

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well on my 2nd O2 UK phone. I had 9 reboots in 5 days on this phone but nothing touch wood since the 20th November at 22:49. Had put in a call to O2 for a 2nd replacement phone on the 21st, they sent me an HTC One X by mistake yesterday so declined it! Happy to keep my 8x for now as the reboots seem to have gone to pastures new. Have done nothing different work home work home with a bit of boogey woogey thrown in.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK so emailed RW and got a response - Copied his response below. Oceancalm - I passed on your email addy so hope he gets in touch soon.
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hello Martin, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Update for you:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]? [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]We don’t need you to meet with a field engineer, as he has the data he needs[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]? [FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]You will be contacted shortly by someone from our support team about arranging the swap.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Regarding the forum:[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Firstly thanks for fighting our corner its much appreciated! Whenever an issue like this arises its tricky to diagnose as the symptoms can often vary from device to device, with some commonality. So we always follow a protocol whereby we would suggest the simplest fix first, in many instances resetting the device can really help. I am aware that this can be frustrating advice to some especially if it doesn’t resolve the situation immediately.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]In this exact case there is a combination of Hardware and Software and this again complicates matters, sadly all I can tell you is that we are working on it on a global basis, and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the current issues. Sadly that is not the answer that anyone wants. Believe me, if I had more information to share I would.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thanks for the feedback regarding the current experience with our support line, I will look into that this afternoon.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]The best advice is actually pretty simple, if the device is very new, speak to your retailer (but you can testify that isn’t always the easiest answer!) alternatively call our support line on 0845 890 0079 and they will do everything they can to help, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I completely understand how restless and frustrated people are, it’s a new device you want it to be perfect, I completely get that.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thanks again for all your help and time with this matter, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kind regards, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Richard Willis[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
Digital Customer Communications Manager EMEA, Global Digital Customer Comms
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
OK so emailed RW and got a response - Copied his response below. Oceancalm - I passed on your email addy so hope he gets in touch soon.
Hello Martin,

Update for you:

?We don’t need you to meet with a field engineer, as he has the data he needs

?You will be contacted shortly by someone from our support team about arranging the swap.

Regarding the forum:Firstly thanks for fighting our corner its much appreciated! Whenever an issue like this arises its tricky to diagnose as the symptoms can often vary from device to device, with some commonality. So we always follow a protocol whereby we would suggest the simplest fix first, in many instances resetting the device can really help. I am aware that this can be frustrating advice to some especially if it doesn’t resolve the situation immediately.

In this exact case there is a combination of Hardware and Software and this again complicates matters, sadly all I can tell you is that we are working on it on a global basis, and are working closely with Microsoft to resolve the current issues. Sadly that is not the answer that anyone wants. Believe me, if I had more information to share I would.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the current experience with our support line, I will look into that this afternoon.

The best advice is actually pretty simple, if the device is very new, speak to your retailer (but you can testify that isn’t always the easiest answer!) alternatively call our support line on 0845 890 0079 and they will do everything they can to help,

I completely understand how restless and frustrated people are, it’s a new device you want it to be perfect, I completely get that.

Any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask,

Thanks again for all your help and time with this matter,

Kind regards,

Richard Willis
Digital Customer Communications Manager EMEA, Global Digital Customer Comms

Cheers

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi. We have no problems, but we use our phones mainly in 2G. Now many people in Germany on forums report that the reboot problems seem to go away when the phones are in 2G. So, I think that for those who have problems, it is worth a try. Switch your phones from 4G/3G to 2G when you don't need a fast connection... see what happens. Please report your findings here.
Also... this problem is becoming large in the press, so press on and connect Nokia or HTC and complain... we need a fix ASAP.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi. We have no problems, but we use our phones mainly in 2G. Now many people in Germany on forums report that the reboot problems seem to go away when the phones are in 2G. So, I think that for those who have problems, it is worth a try. Switch your phones from 4G/3G to 2G when you don't need a fast connection... see what happens. Please report your findings here.
Also... this problem is becoming large in the press, so press on and connect Nokia or HTC and complain... we need a fix ASAP.

Cant speak for anyone else but i tried that - I even get reboots when the phone is in flight mode with everything off. The only time i dont get reboots is if i remove my sim card.

drewho

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Well i'm on "three", and they only have a 3g network..... so no go for me i'm afraid :(

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is your SIM card a new type with enough memory?

Yes its a new microsim - I also have a data only microsim that i use for internet sharing with my surface and that causes reboots as well. I have also tried a simcard from an 8x on the same network with no issues and it still rebooted.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I repeat myself...
Because it is possible that random reboots are due to bad "Memory" in your phone, you should... COMPLAIN and have your phone exchanged!
That's extremely unlikely, given that the symptom is always a reboot (not a shutdown or freeze). Issues that are the result of bad memory are almost never that predictable

I still stand by it being an issue with cell network connectivity. No reboots in Airplane Mode since I got the phone on 11/15 despite it spending most weekdays with that on plus WiFi. Five reboots with Airplane Mode off.

I've disabled Attentive Phone for giggles, but I don't think it's going to help.

oceancalm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I have had mine replaced by the retailer this evening as I was on the border of my 28 days return period being up, and with HTC offering 3 weeks without a phone so they can diagnose a fault I couldn't wait. Got home switched it on, it went straight to the home screen after running through HTC connect... Odd I thought to myself, so I tapped the photo's tile and then albums to find photo's of the stores staff on the handset. I contacted customer services to complain and while they were arranging to exchange my handset again the phone rebooted so I'm getting a refund.

Thanks for passing my details on Martin, Richard did contact me, I gave him as much info about my fault as possible and explained I'd already changed the phone by the time I read the email (I was in the process of getting it changed when he sent it) and a whine about CS and wished him and his team the best for finding a speedy resolution to this issue for HTC's remaining customers.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I truly believe all of the noise we've caused helped push this through fairly quickly. Thanks to everyone who posted, chatted, called, emailed MS, HTC and Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234