Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The 8x is just an Android rehash? dumbest thing I've heard. If anything the 920 is a N9/900 rehash. The Nokia ball slapping just never stops. Heck, if I can get the 822 at a decent off contract price that's what I'm going to do. I will not, however, fabricate BS. Head over to phandroid or androidcentral and you will see a bunch of jealous people wishing the 8x ran android.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So apparently the 8X is simultaneously a copy of Nokia's design, AND a rehash of its Android counterparts? That is quite the achievement.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The 8x is just an Android rehash? dumbest thing I've heard. If anything the 920 is a N9/900 rehash. The Nokia ball slapping just never stops. Heck, if I can get the 822 at a decent off contract price that's what I'm going to do. I will not, however, fabricate BS. Head over to phandroid or androidcentral and you will see a bunch of jealous people wishing the 8x ran android.

No the 8X is not an Android rehash, but every Windows Phone HTC made before it was and the 8X didn't appear until the Lumia gave them an idea other than another gray box.

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia is not around then the future of Windows Phone is in jeopardy. Relying only on OEMs who are 99% invested in Android is an untenable position. They will never put in the 1/10 effort to innovate or promote the Windows Phone brand that Nokia does. Without Nokia's designs to imitate, all we'll get are more boring gray and black Android retreads like we have always gotten.

If you want to see Windows Phone thrive, you'd better hope Nokia sticks around, even if you don't like their phones.

Ha Nonsense what was the Lumia if not a rehashed N9? Nokia didn't go to any great lengths to come up with a completely new design.

I actually went and had a look at both phones today a working 8X in O2 along with dummies in P4U and into EE.

The 8X fits perfectly for my hand and is very nice to hold and I can reach pretty much all corners of the screen with one hand.

The 920 of which I could only test the dummies a white glossy one in P4U and a Black matte one in EE and well its also a nice phone and just as I had expected the weight is a over exaggerated con because its not a con at all the weight was nice and anyone who finds it heavy must have a medical problem.

However for me personally the width was a bigger problem and trying to access the whole screen with one hand could be a problem.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
True, true, true. The 8X and 8S were directly inspired by Nokia's Lumia range.

Nokia is also the only OEM trying to innovate with hardware. For the most part, the 8X and the Ativ S are - as expected - rehashes of the hardware they launched in their Android flagships six months ago. In terms of "differentiated apps" we appear to have an HTC Clock/Weather hub and Call blocking on the Ativ S.

If Nokia fails, and the two major manufacturers are just churning out 6-month old Android rebrands with no major customization, this platform is finished.

I look forward to Microsoft and a Surface phone, but I doubt they'll make huge inroads with wide availability across US carriers.

Exactly.

The point is it's good for Windows Phone to have both Nokia AND the others around.

Nokia will push the envelope on design and innovation specific to Windows Phone because they have to, they are all-in on Windows Phone.

HTC, Samsung et al, will provide Nokia with some competition so they don't rest on their laurels and give consumers more choices so if they don't like the Nokia phones, they can still enjoy Windows Phone 8.

We need Nokia in the game, but we also need the others. Nokia can't keep Windows Phone going all by itself and Windows Phone without Nokia... well we've already seen what THAT looks like. :dry

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

The SOC, rear camera module, camera chip, Beats Audio software EQ and screen tech and resolution for the 8X is identical to what's in the US version of the One X. They added an audio amp and a upgraded front-facing camera module, but otherwise, the guts are the same.

The most significant difference is the odd build dimensions of the 8X where it has a smaller screen and skinnier body, but is slightly thicker. But the underlying tech and horsepower is identical to last gen's flagship.

The 920 has significantly upgraded processor, camera module, audio processing, wireless charging, screen size, resolution, and screen tech from the Lumia 900.

Trying to equate the two is demonstrably false. No fanboyism here. Just facts.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So apparently the 8X is simultaneously a copy of Nokia's design, AND a rehash of its Android counterparts? That is quite the achievement.

Guts/SOC/Camera/Screen = Rehash of One X
Body/form factor/colors = Inspired by Nokia's design

I fail to see the contradiction.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
well. I think this depends on the people. if people are concerned about weight and love music then 8X if people like the features of the 920 then go there

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

The point is it's good for Windows Phone to have both Nokia AND the others around.

Nokia will push the envelope on design and innovation specific to Windows Phone because they have to, they are all-in on Windows Phone.

HTC, Samsung et al, will provide Nokia with some competition so they don't rest on their laurels and give consumers more choices so if they don't like the Nokia phones, they can still enjoy Windows Phone 8.

We need Nokia in the game, but we also need the others. Nokia can't keep Windows Phone going all by itself and Windows Phone without Nokia... well we've already seen what THAT looks like. :dry

Yes. THANK YOU.

In all of the "You guys are ball slapping Nokia/Well, you guys are HTC fanboys" nonsense - and again, although I have chosen the 920, I am not demonizing the 8X and have defended it on these very forums - people are losing sight of the fact that they're reliant on each other and this platform.

HTC won't have a widely-released (in the US) device past the 8X for several months. Their "Droid DNA" is a Verizon exclusive launching well after the Galaxy Note II. If they're going to make it through the holidays and well into next year, they NEED their Windows Phone products to be a hit. Their financials are abysmal at present with just the "One" line for Android.

Nokia has to have a high profile, well-executed, consistently-selling product at some point. The Asha/low end devices help sales volumes, but not the bottom line so much.

WE need this platform to take off for our own selfish reasons. So why would any of us have ill wishes for any of these devices?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
A very fair point. All the Nokia WPs are just rehashed Symbian and MeeGo phones with new internals -- the HTC phones, in contrast, are all-new designs exclusive to WP.

Of course Nokia is using a similar design to their predecessors. So is Samsung.

But Nokia is adding extensive software customization via in-house and exclusive third party apps. HTC and Samsung are not.

Nokia is adding significant hardware differentiation from their Symbian and MeeGo phones with this design. HTC and Samsung are not from their Android counterparts.

Nokia took the lead in bringing hardware accent colors to this platform to accentuate the colorful accent colors of the OS. HTC and Samsung did not.

This isn't to malign HTC or Samsung. Just simply stating that Nokia's put a lot more work in, and HTC - at the very least - has drawn inspiration from it to some extent.

Hopefully, Samsung will too.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The SOC, rear camera module, camera chip, Beats Audio software EQ and screen tech and resolution for the 8X is identical to what's in the US version of the One X. They added an audio amp and a upgraded front-facing camera module, but otherwise, the guts are the same.

The most significant difference is the odd build dimensions of the 8X where it has a smaller screen and skinnier body, but is slightly thicker. But the underlying tech and horsepower is identical to last gen's flagship.

The 920 has significantly upgraded processor, camera module, audio processing, wireless charging, screen size, resolution, and screen tech from the Lumia 900.

Trying to equate the two is demonstrably false. No fanboyism here. Just facts.
The reason that Lumia 900 -> 920 was such a big upgrade was because it had catching up to do to match WP8's improved supported specs. The One X already had a dual core processor, better screen, and high resolution, so there wasn't much of a need to upgrade things for WP8. I don't see why HTC should lose points because they were already using better tech to begin with.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The reason that Lumia 900 -> 920 was such a big upgrade was because it had catching up to do to match WP8's improved supported specs. The One X already had a dual core processor, better screen, and high resolution, so there wasn't much of a need to upgrade things for WP8. I don't see why HTC should lose points because they were already using better tech to begin with.

Because it's not about just catching up, but rather trying to improve upon it.

Again, Nokia has gathered an impressive curated app collection to put a definitive stamp on the software. They put a unique camera on their WP8 device that NO prior Nokia device has had. Same for the screen tech. Same for the "Smart Shot" that they acquired from Scalado. There's a HUGE bullet list of value adds on the 920.

What software has HTC brought? A variant of the same weather clock they've been recycling since the HTC Hero in 2009? Their camera is identical to the one from 6 months ago. Obviously, many here can appreciate the music amp and the wider FFC. That's great.

I just don't consider those to be huge differentiators from the Android equivalent.

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the 8X is a better-looking phone by far, although I haven't seen either of them in person so I'm just going off of photos and videos I've seen on the internet. Still, design-wise I find the 8X to be SUPER sexy and the 920 just plain sexy.

In fact, I was really leaning towards the 8X back when the rumors indicated that the 8X and 920 would launch at the same time, and that the 8X would be $99 compared to $149 for the 920. If that had happened, I would've pre-ordered a yellow 8X for sure.

But instead, the 920 is being released weeks ahead of the 8X, is $99, AND comes with a free charging plate? That was enough to sway me to change my decision. My Cyan 920 should arrive on Friday!

murzic

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
There are many things that just don't make sense to me about the Wp8 phone range: 8x clearly going for the music angle with beats audio but I can't store more music on it than the iPod I had 5 years ago.... 920 that neither I or anyone can buy (in the uk) despite it being "released" ...watch out USA your next for this 1.... 820 that has a screen res equivalent to generation 1 smartphones but kicks in *** in every other category ..... The only 1 absolutely noone mentions is the ATIV S yet it's just a windows version of the current no1 selling phone in the world, which surely can't mean it's a complete turkey can it?
Unfortunately I'm beginning to conclude that WP8 might be a similar fail as WP7 ...there just isn't a phone here that looks like a realistic challenge to the iOS android duopoly ...sry I genuinely wished wp8 was going to succeed but it is not looking too good

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That significant processor was upgraded to what HTC already uses. The 8x has wireless charging, and the beats is different in the 8x. The camera is the only thing HTC didn't change. Facts is facts. Nokia finally got their processor, audio, and resolution up to HTCs standards, packing it into the N9 and that's being called innovative? The camera yes, I give them that, everything else is hogwash.

Edit= I was wrong. HTC did in fact tweak the camera. Sorry.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
There are many things that just don't make sense to me about the Wp8 phone range: 8x clearly going for the music angle with beats audio but I can't store more music on it than the iPod I had 5 years ago.... 920 that neither I or anyone can buy (in the uk) despite it being "released" ...watch out USA your next for this 1.... 820 that has a screen res equivalent to generation 1 smartphones but kicks in *** in every other category ..... The only 1 absolutely noone mentions is the ATIV S yet it's just a windows version of the current no1 selling phone in the world, which surely can't mean it's a complete turkey can it?
Unfortunately I'm beginning to conclude that WP8 might be a similar fail as WP7 ...there just isn't a phone here that looks like a realistic challenge to the iOS android duopoly ...sry I genuinely wished wp8 was going to succeed but it is not looking too good

You need to work on your deductive reasoning.

WP8 phones are just beginning to be sold this weekend, and neither Apple nor Google have anything that can compete with the potential of the Windows 8/XBOX/WP8 ecosystem.

I don't know if it is all going to work out, but if it does, it will be awesome.

murzic

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You need to work on your deductive reasoning.

WP8 phones are just beginning to be sold this weekend, and neither Apple nor Google have anything that can compete with the potential of the Windows 8/XBOX/WP8 ecosystem.

I don't know if it is all going to work out, but if it does, it will be awesome.
I really do honestly hope u r right..I love windows 8 for my PC... I own an Xbox ....I've wanted to be off iOS since iPhone 5 was unveiled and apple kicked me in the teeth with iPad 4.... I am the "model" windows phone 8 convert who wants to be an early WP8 adopter BUT I can't buy the WP8 phone I wanted to buy or even my second choice....not because they r sold out (ala iPhone launches 1-4) but because they aren't there to buy when we were officially told they were. The launches in Canada, UK, Germany, Italy etc etc have been a total logistical disaster over the last week.... I genuinely hope the US and Asia launches are complete opposite to what's happened up to now but as I said in the OP it isn't looking good at the moment for the wp8 part of the ecosystem.

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who has seen my 8X immediately remarks on how light and thin it is. Amazing, really, what tapered edges will do. The fact the screen is almost the same size as the 920 - and the phone really isn't that much smaller either - it's amazing how different the two form factors are.

Very pleased so far with my 8X (bought ONLY because the 920 is not available unlocked in the UK).

Woembah

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been a Nokia follower that fell in love with WP just because of Nokia, and I know I'm not the only one. People can moan that some guys on here seem to be more interested in Nokia than in WP/Microsoft, but Nokia themselves have simply contributed a lot to the WP following. For me Nokia comes first. I kinda liked WP when it first came out, but all those early phones that ran it (by LG, Samsung, HTC) were just so boring...

That said, I also really like Microsoft and especially the products and services that they have been creating lately. Windows 8 is awesome, WP8 is awesome, the Surface is awesome, Skydrive, Outlook, Office, all really good and imo underestimated by the general public.

The HTC 8X and 8S are the first HTC phones that I really like, they look fresh and it's clear that some efort has been put into the design (whether or not they took inspiration from the Lumia range is another thing). However, I think overall they do not match the uniqueness and innovation that Nokia has been showing with the 920 and to a lesser extent with the 820.

But what it ultimately comes down to is that you simply can't go wrong with either device (920 or 8X), because they are both great flagship phones. For the first time, WP has two models from two manufacturers that really stand out and represent WP in the best possible way. The decision between the two can only be based on the little things: it might be size/weight, storage, camera, price/availability, super sensitive touch or, in my case, some personal preference for the manufacturer. The privilege to have a choice should be celebrated.

The 8X and the 920 are being compared to each other all over the internet, which generates attention and also a sense that WP is really something that matters these days. Eventually Nokia will benefit from this as long as they keep making decent phones.

I don't care about Samsung at all, but the same thing holds for them of course :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb