Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I got a 920 on Friday and just checked out the 8X, and I'm probably going to switch over. The screen on the 920 was definitely better (brighter at each setting, better white and black levels, extra 48 pixels, smoother scroll/ refresh), but the 8X felt like it was half the weight and thickness. I mean the 8X felt amazing in hand, like I was holding an ipod touch or something. I'm going to think about it for a few days, because there are a lot of pros and cons to each one, but it's nice to have such good phones to choose from.
I got the 8x first then traded for the 920, and now I want my 8x back. The 920 isn't the tank like tech bloggers say, but it does seem a bit unnatural to want to hold. With the 8x, I was amazed that a device build like that could do so much. Not as much as the 920. The place where Nokia really kills it is price. You get more for less, but the feeling of the 8x just seems so right. And the day time pics with the 8x are great. Buy the 920 takes better night pics. Tradeoffs....

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The thing about the 8X is that the only real drawback is that the 32Gb version is not available yet... (HTC seems to hesitate). All HTC has to do, to kill the competition is to offer 32 and 64 Gb variants and a lens app to be able to save pictures in with less .jpg compression (fine). Microsoft was most likely being objective when the 8X was selected over the 920 as Signature phone. I find the 8X is the real iPhone 5 challenger. The 920 more the S3 challenger. It is a fabulous phone that only gets 4 stars when it is being reviewed by WP haters... I have seen many reviews that give it 5/5 stars.

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The place where Nokia really kills it is price.

Yep, but that in the US only ... as far as I know, but here in Saudi Arabia, the 8X is 106 dollars cheaper than the Lumia 920 & according to a nokia rep, the lumia won't be available until next month

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this is a Nokia pricing or an At&t pricing thing. Its just so backwards. There are so many things I see wrong with the whole smartphone business right now that its worth a short film or book. I'm frustrated with it all to be honest. Quality control, empty claims, and pricing. On all platforms. At least apple has for of a handle on all those. But I'm not even trying to go back to the Apple camp.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes and it's a quote I still stand by, it was the first thing I thought when I picked up the device, going from a Lumia 800 to the 920 feels like a backwards step in terms of ergonomics, and yet every time I go to buy the 8X something stops me (even if lately it's the lack of stock of the blue version).

I honestly don't know which phone I will land on, it changes every day. The wireless charging gimmick is something I do want in my life, the 32GB of storage would be a huge sign of relief over the 8X, and the power button is MUCH better positioned on the 920 than the 8X (seeing as we're talking ergonomics).

Ultimately it comes down to how important the heft of a device is to you. The 920 is a large device, it feels almost too big by today's standards and will be bulging out of all but the deepest pocket. The 8X is slender, the screen on it is comparable to the 920 less the PureMotion promise (those extra pixels on the 920 only mean that WP7 apps will scale to full screen, rather than having a small black bar) otherwise it's not a huge deal.

It's preference, some will actually prefer the 8X's camera for the post-processing which means photos will look vivid and exciting, even if they're not as true to life.
What bothers me is people who say that no one should say a bulky device is a problem, because it simply is. The Lumia is large enough to be slightly awkward to use day to day for some people. It's also going to be far more noticeable carrying it around daily, if that doesn't bother you then terrific, the 920 is certainly for you, but many people will see the 8X as a better design, even if the 16GB limit is maddening

Great post you summed up a lot of my feelings.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Was it set to auto or low brightness ?

Unfortunately, I don't know. Just didn't have enough time to look.

I eventually went with the 920. Twice the memory at half the price and free wireless charging is just too hard to pass up.

I love the 8x's design, but I also love the 920's. I don't mind the weight or "bulk" at all. Coming from the Trophy, it doesn't seen that much heavier and feels so thin. Appreciate the slightly larger screen and Nokia apps as well.

I do feel HTC came out with a superior design but then screwed up with the lower storage and not getting any great subsidies. Nokia messed up with the sharper edges and the single carrier exclusivity. Both are amazing Win8 phones, but it is a shame that we don't have more universal availability and easy SD Card access (which would be worth another slot in the case imo).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
[h=1]Isn't the HTC 8X the best WP8 device afterall?[/h]

Only if you're into cheap, made in Taiwan (literally) versions of the real thing (Lumia 920). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it's also an admission of inferiority.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, seeing as BestBuy is now selling the 8X for $99 the price issue is moot. Plus the 8X has a huge advantage over the 920 - Verizon. Nokia foolishly did an exclusive with a network that is losing subscribers instead of making sure their signature phone was on the largest carrier in the US - and still growing carrier at that.

Could HTC have jammed another 16GB into the 8X? Probably could have and should have. But all in all it's still quite a canoe.

djSupport

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Why did I have a HTC 8X that I love over a Nokia 920 - Simple - Availability! Nokia wouldn't give me their device on o2 here in the UK so I got the other phone and love that!

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Same for me... Swisscom has postponed the Lumia 920 launch twice, now maybe Swisscom will launch it on Dec. 1st in its stores. Orange however has the HTC 8X now, in all its stores. I just got my first one at "Media Markt", second one from "Digitec", just bought them unlocked. I need two, I have a business and a private mobile phone. End of the day, buying two 8X is less expensive and less bulky than buying two L920s. Here a L920 is 699.- and a 8X 544.- Swiss Francs that is. If you buy from Swisscom they want 829.- if you buy it without getting a new contract, or if you are not allowed to update yet. So... most people here just buy em somewhere else, for less and unlocked.
HTC is first and getting the sales... Nokia is slow and not shipping much here.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
For me, I have never liked the lumia style of phone, they have always looked like bricks to me. Through out my years I have seen Nokia with some stylish phones, but I did not like the line up of the Lumia phones inc the WP8.

Fortunately for me, over the past few years I have been using HTC Windows phones from the HTC XDA Orbit on O2 UK, to my HTC HD7. I have never been disappointed in HTC's ability to make a decent phone, this is the reason I decided to get 8X.

Agpe17

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I actually held the 920 and played with it a bit...seemed WIDE for me. And I'm a big guy (6'2"). The 8x is the perfect size for my hand, even it's a case on...

just personal preference though!

danailed

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It is down to what you prefer.
I have been with my 8X for a week now, and for me it is difficult to imagine that there is a phone out there that is better than it, at this moment in time.
Before that, i had the HD7 which i still absolutely adore after using it for almost 2 years, and generously passed down to my mother which also seems to love it.
So i think that, in my opinion HTC make really good Windows Phone 8 (and 7) devices, and that the 8X is truly a very pleasant phone to use.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Cheap "Taiwan" copy. Obviously some Nokia Fanboys are disillusioned. First. HTC was the first company to make Windows Phones with Win. CE. Second, HTC currently makes one of the best Android phones with the OneX+. Third. "Made in Taiwan" is better quality than "Made in China". Fourth. Nokia's own Lumia Factories are in China. Who is having the most issues here? L920 or the 8X? The Nokia is!

dyce23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nokia messed up yet another launch, I was ready to get the 920 for all my families contracts but the went exclusive with EE in the uk. So I got ride of our lumias and now have the 8x which I am very pleased with! It is so much lighter than my old lumia 'brick' 900! Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss