HTC 8x Verizon Activation

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks, just have a few questions I was hoping someone could help sort out for me.

In a round about way, I am getting a 8x this week Already pre-ordered and expected ship 11-13. This phone was pre-ordered via my mother-in-law's account for her upgrade. We're doing a phone swap for my iPhone 5 for the 8x.

I posted in Verizon support forum and got a response that the easiest way to do it is go to a store... Im leary... I read too many horror stories with in store experience.

So the support rep said I could activate online myself through the myVerizon site but I would need a third phone to do it.

So, does the 8x need activated on her account first, then move my number to her feature phone that is now unactivated, then activate her number from the 8x to iPhone 5. Then more my number to the 8x?

Or can I just move my number over to the 8x and hers from the feature phone iphone 5?

Will I have a problem with the 4G sims? the apple is a nano and the htc a micro... so I know I can do a sim swap.

Should I just go to a store?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks, just have a few questions I was hoping someone could help sort out for me.

In a round about way, I am getting a 8x this week Already pre-ordered and expected ship 11-13. This phone was pre-ordered via my mother-in-law's account for her upgrade. We're doing a phone swap for my iPhone 5 for the 8x.

I posted in Verizon support forum and got a response that the easiest way to do it is go to a store... Im leary... I read too many horror stories with in store experience.

So the support rep said I could activate online myself through the myVerizon site but I would need a third phone to do it.

So, does the 8x need activated on her account first, then move my number to her feature phone that is now unactivated, then activate her number from the 8x to iPhone 5. Then more my number to the 8x?

Or can I just move my number over to the 8x and hers from the feature phone iphone 5?

Will I have a problem with the 4G sims? the apple is a nano and the htc a micro... so I know I can do a sim swap.

Its always easier to go to the store unfortunately.

You can do it all online, but their online activation service sometimes sucks.

Best way, what I always do, is call them. Talk to somebody and have them activate each one. They'll ask for the serial and account info and stuff like that.

(Ps: the 8x doesn't need to be activated on hers first, the way the upgrades works is strictly for purchasing it won't like reserve activation for her number or anything like that)

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Once the phone arrives you can call Verizion Customer Service and they can help you sort it out. If you are both part of a Verizon Family shared acount this is a not a problem. My wife and I transfers upgrades between lines regulary.

If you are each on separate accounts then your aunt will have to call Verizon to get the upgrade fully transferred as this is technically her upgrade and her Verizon account.

Either way this is easy for Verizon Customer service to handle via a quick phone call.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, She has her own account. So this phone swap is between two accounts. I think that's why I was advised to have a third phone in play to use that was not activated.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I've done this numerous times, with it being LTE you have to call them unfortunately. If you have an iP5 already, you can take her 8X and swap it out via *228 (option 1) just fine, but if she's coming from a dumb phone to a smart phone (especially if its an LTE one) she has to call them. You can downgrade from LTE to whatever by way of *228 but you cant upgrade to it.

You can also just both go to the store and they can sort it out for you there relatively quickly. But then you have to spend the afternoon with your inlaw ;)

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've done this numerous times, with it being LTE you have to call them unfortunately. If you have an iP5 already, you can take her 8X and swap it out via *228 (option 1) just fine, but if she's coming from a dumb phone to a smart phone (especially if its an LTE one) she has to call them. You can downgrade from LTE to whatever by way of *228 but you cant upgrade to it.

You can also just both go to the store and they can sort it out for you there relatively quickly. But then you have to spend the afternoon with your inlaw ;)
Thanks IC. sounds like I better just go to a store with her. We're gonna have to spend the afternoon together anyway. She needs my wifi to download iTunes and get setup with the whole apple thing. And I'll have to show her how to use it. :/

verizonjoe

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
First, please DO NOT CALL *228 on LTE devices. Activations are done over the air. If you call customer service you may have to let the sim in the i5 age 24 hours. Best bet would be to go in to the store cause we have sims that we can swap on the spot. The 8x will need to be activated first before swapping to a different line on the account as T&c must be accepted first. Been at Verizon for over 2 years now. Not saying I know it all, I just take pride in all I do. If I can help at all please let me know.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
You have to go into the store because the iphone 5 uses a smaller SIM and SIMs are tied to the phone number.

Thats hoping the store has a nano SIM in stock. Stupid Apple with their proprietary everything

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
You have to go into the store because the iphone 5 uses a smaller SIM and SIMs are tied to the phone number.

Thats hoping the store has a nano SIM in stock. Stupid Apple with their proprietary everything

I hate Apple as much as anyone but you can't blame them for the sim problem the nano sim is an industry standard excepted by ESTI

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would have preferred to do this myself online but I think I will just go into a store and ask them.

If it was my own account I probly wouldn't have worried to much about it, but since I am dealing with 2 accounts... I don't want to flub it.

Danec21

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would have preferred to do this myself online but I think I will just go into a store and ask them.

If it was my own account I probly wouldn't have worried to much about it, but since I am dealing with 2 accounts... I don't want to flub it.
VerizonJOE is right in what he stated above, I work at Verizon too. Follow his advice.

scottd34

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
What about for a normal activation with no line-swapping?

Best way to activate an 8x would be...? *228?
*228 dosent work on lte phones, only 3g. Have to activate the phone on the line, and either remove the sim for 24 hours then move it, or go to a store so they can get a new sim and you dont have to wait for it to age.

jedilord

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why the device has to be activated on the original account before being swapped.

My wife ordered an iPhone 5 from her work account and had it shipped (so not activated). I activated the iPhone 5 on our personal account (replacing an iPhone 4) on the phone without any problems.

So why can that not be done with the HTC or any other phone?

The reason I bring this up is because the Verizon guy told me that once you activate and then swap to a different account, you lose the warranty???

So at this point, screw the store, order online and call in and have them activate the phone on whatever account you want.

I think it's bull**** that Verizon is forcing people to jump through hoops just to keep unlimited data. ATT doesn't (my cousin could upgrade his phone to the 920 and keep unlimited). ATT also doesn't charge for visual voice mail. **** YOU VERIZON.

jedilord

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And no, I don't tehther and use as **** ton of data - but I do use enough between my wife and myself that if I had to switch to shared data, it would cost more...why the **** would I pay more for less? **** YOU VERIZON.

Menlah Isaac

May 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: HTC 8x Verizon Activation code

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett