Wireless Charging Technology for 8X- Which one is it?

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new here (I posted this same message on another topic but didn't get a reply so I'm kinda making it its own :p). Anyways, I was just wondering if the 8X does indeed use Qi technology as many suggest. If you go on Verizon's 8X page and look at Specifications, it says it uses power-mat technology (which is not compatible with Qi). Also, if you try looking at compatible phones with the Nokia charging plate (which uses Qi), it says 8X is not compatible, suggesting that it uses Powermat.

Yet it seems like a lot of people say that it uses Qi, as well as many news articles. For that reason, I am confused. I want to order a pad from Amazon by tomorrow (either Energizer Qi plate or Powermat) so it arrives on Thursday with my 8X. I mean I know I could wait a week or more for the official one to come out, but as we have seen with Lumias, those pads don't take too long to get sold out, and like I said, I would love to have a wireless charger with the phone from day 1. I just don't know which one to get as there's no clear cut that the 8X uses one or the other, and I for sure don't wanna end up with the wrong one!

Thanks!

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I did some research on this. The short answer, nobody knows anything.

I chatted with Verizon and the guy helping me said he had no idea, lol :p

I chatted with Powermat(the company that makes powermat) and they gave me the standard BS answers and had no clue.

If you look at this page: Complete Wireless Charging System | Duracell Powermat

It talks about supporting the Samsung Galaxy S III soon. I'm assuming this will be the same charger for HTC, but who knows.

And last, Engadget talk about the powermat here:Duracell Powermat announces 24-Hour Power System, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Towards the bottom of the paragraph, they says the follow, "Though the system currently only supports the iPhone, the company says it will add compatibility with "an array of other leading smartphones" by this fall."

So, it's fall and we have an array of phones :) Hopefully it will match up soon. :confused:

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8X does use Qi. I read on the Verge and on ZDNet (articles not comments) that this was the case. Also, the new HTC DNA that was just announced by Verizon and HTC has Qi wireless charging as well, so I think its safe to say this is accurate and what HTC is using in their devices when they add this functionality.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How can you guys say that other sites are accurate when Verizon's own website Powermat?

HTC 8X

Look at the bottom under "specifications". It says:

"With wireless charging support all you have to do is plug in your power–mat and simply drop and charge your Windows Phone 8X by HTC".

alterbridge86

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I think the reference on the website is simply referring to the general term of a "power-mat", not necessarily the Powermat standard.

As far as I know, no phones come with Powermat built in (they all require a case of some sort). Along with the fact that HTC and Verizon Wireless are both members of the Wireless Power Consortium (Governing body responsible for Qi), I think its pretty safe to say it uses Qi charging.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the reference on the website is simply referring to the general term of a "power-mat", not necessarily the Powermat standard.

As far as I know, no phones come with Powermat built in (they all require a case of some sort). Along with the fact that HTC and Verizon Wireless are both members of the Wireless Power Consortium (Governing body responsible for Qi), I think its pretty safe to say it uses Qi charging.

That makes sense. Since they are part of the WPC then it would seem reasonable to assume it would be Qi and not Powermat. And yes, the "-" between power and mat always seemed weird. Thanks for chiming in.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How can you guys say that other sites are accurate when Verizon's own website Powermat?

HTC 8X

Look at the bottom under "specifications". It says:

"With wireless charging support all you have to do is plug in your power?mat and simply drop and charge your Windows Phone 8X by HTC".

Also, Verizon's website just isn't necessarily right. The first day the 822 was available for pre-order, I was chatting with an online agent about the Nokia charging plate and why it was coming up as not being compatible with the Lumia 822. At first he said, if that was what the system said then that is correct but I told him that made no sense since they only offered one Nokia smartphone with wireless charging. He realized the logic in that and did some checking and had to report the discrepancy to his manager because they are compatible. And guess what? Still not fixed on the site.

So, I wouldn't trust the Verizon website as gospel on this. It obviously should be better and accurate so that no one is ordering the wrong accessories, but it just may not be correct.

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense now. I mean obviously I can tell every article says Qi, but kinda hard to make conclusions with the Verizon page having that "power-mat" thrown in there. A little sad that they would make a mistake like that... they should know their products a little better (if only they truly cared about WP8...)

Anyways, for those of you getting a charging plate, are you planning to get HTC's own when it comes out? One of Nokia's? Third-party like Energizer? Seeing all the options out there has now made me quite indecisive haha.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That makes a lot of sense now. I mean obviously I can tell every article says Qi, but kinda hard to make conclusions with the Verizon page having that "power-mat" thrown in there. A little sad that they would make a mistake like that... they should know their products a little better (if only they truly cared about WP8...)

Anyways, for those of you getting a charging plate, are you planning to get HTC's own when it comes out? One of Nokia's? Third-party like Energizer? Seeing all the options out there has now made me quite indecisive haha.

I haven't seen any I really like yet. The Nokia seems to be the nicest one but I'm not too fond of it. I really like the powermat design. I want something like that.

isi44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Keckpec29 I have seen that Oregon one, it looks quite badass I must say! A little bit pricey, but if it's worth it, then it's something I can't ignore. Let us know how it is when you get it!

@DeathBreath I agree... hoping HTC's own charger has something to fight for when it comes out (assuming they'll release one).

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just picked up an 8x at my local store and asked the guy if they had a charging pad and he said they didn't have the htc compatible one in stock cause htc is always late with accessories. He suggested I just try the nokia plate for the **** of it, so i did and The Power indicator came on, the chargin noise rang, and the battery icon started flashing the charging signal. I couldn't get one because they didn't have any in stock so im not positive that it will really charge it, but all the evidence points to Yes.

Edit: lol it bleeped out heII

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I tried my TMO branded 8x on my HP TouchPad charger, and it did not work. I do know that this pad WILL charge the 920. I guess the TMO 8x does not come with the inductive coil in it. I wonder if it can be modded in? Would be an interesting mod.

jean2000

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guy's, both HTC 8X and Nokia do support Qi wireless charging.

The ZENS wireless chargers in the WPC central shop work with the 8X and Lumia's and don't have this 'bleep'.... They work great!

Ryan32

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I think I read here in the comments somewhere (off one of the main articles, and actually it may have been a comment from Daniel) that you should NOT use the Palm touchstones on your phone... I believe the consensus was that it triggers the notification that the phone is charging, but it actually is not. Also, prolonged exposure could actually damage your phone...

Personally I wouldn't risk it until more information is out and about... Let someone else try it for a month or two and risk their phone...

alterbridge86

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm it is Qi and the Nokia charging accessories are compatible. Aside from anecdotal evidence that points to the Nokia Charging Plates charging the device, when I picked my 8x up last night I noticed the rather odd display layout, that being the 8x right next to the Nokia charging plate. Upon reading the fine print on the charging plate tag, it says "Compatible with the HTC 8X. Nokia Lumia 822 and other phones require separate backplate, sold separately".

Now the task to find a place with the Nokia charging accessories in stock..I even tried the ATT store but they had none either :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa