03-12-2014 07:55 PM
48 12
tools
    I was all set on a 920, now have two 8X. Business, private. I don't listen much to music on my phone, but the 8X is great for it. I think HTC should make a 64Gb version for those who need the space. For me the ergonomics of the 8X work better. Here in Europe the 8X is a good deal less expensive unlocked than the 920 and easily available. HTC did a great job of distribution. Personally I think the design of the 8X is more 'smartphone' less 'phablet'. Technically the 8X is simpler, plus made in Taiwan, not China. I am a bit feed up with poor chinese quality control. As to the Press, trying to save Nokia, which is a hopeless case in my opinion...
    11-19-2012 01:37 PM
    Remember that there are really two 8Xs - Verizon's has wireless charging so it is different than the others. Also here in the states the phone getting the heavy promotion is the 8X not the 920 - that is because the 8X is Verizon's flagship and Verizon is the top dog in this country in network size, subscribers, and network robustness. They know how to market better than almost anyone else and they are pushing the 8X.

Also, because of Nokia's foolish exclusivity agreement with AT&T the 8X will wind up outselling the 920. Remember on the 920 that the lower price is solely due to AT&T heavily subsidizing it. Without that factor it would be at least $100 more.
    11-19-2012 01:48 PM
    For me its storage and some of the UGLIEST purple(sorry but that's not blue) and whatever you call that other crap...LOL
    11-20-2012 07:56 PM
    For me its storage and some of the UGLIEST purple(sorry but that's not blue) and whatever you call that other crap...LOL
    Its blue. Unless you are colour-blind.
    Villain likes this.
    11-22-2012 09:56 AM
    It seems to me that the media and websites alike are really running with the 920 love while the 8X seems like an afterthought. Why do you guys feel that is?
    Because Nokia Windows Phone fans are a lot more passionate about the brand because they are 100% in on Windows Phone.

Because the Lumia 920 introduces a number of features that are unique, like the Pureview camera and PureMotion HD+ which give the media something to talk about whereas the 8X doesn't really introduce much that is new or unique, aside from the new version of Beats audio which includes hardware amplification.

Because Nokia has so much at stake with Windows Phone that it gives the media a much more interesting story to tell, more suspense and drama there than some Android manufacturer who no one cares about that pumped out one new Windows Phone.

...and finally because the 920 is the better phone (sorry, but it's true)
    11-22-2012 11:13 AM
    HTC gets zero love from me because I purchased an HTC Titan. I know how HTC handles their phones and customers. I will not be mistreated again with abandonment. My Nokia Lumia 920 is doing fantastic and has already impressed me way more than the Titan.
    socialcarpet and jdhooghe like this.
    11-22-2012 11:28 AM
    The memory is a draw back on my 8x. I always had a 16 gig sd card in my sensation and flashed my phone every 3 or 4 days the entire time I owned it lol. I never ran out of room with many different custom roms stored on it. For me that told me that 16 is fine plus there is always cloud storage I think ? I did stand in the t mobile store for at least an hour contemplating nokia or htc ******* off the salesman
    11-22-2012 11:39 AM
    I traded my 920 back in for a 8X. Just couldn't handle the bulk of the 920. Not the weight just the overall size of the phone.
    11-22-2012 01:36 PM
    Its blue. Unless you are colour-blind.
    In person it reminded me a lot of the "Indigo" purple colour that Nintendo launched for its GameCube console years ago.
    Dano79 likes this.
    11-22-2012 04:30 PM
    it's blue BUT in lower lighting areas it tends to look purplish. reminds me of the joker lol
    morpheus1982 likes this.
    11-22-2012 05:07 PM
    I new I always wanted a wp8 when they came out and thought it would be the 920 but the ergonomics of it didn't at all work for me. I'm loving my 8X.
    11-24-2012 03:05 AM
    People have to remember that the longest ever partnership between a phone manufacturer and a software company is HTC an Microsoft. HTC have been making windows phones/ windows mobile handset for nearly 12 year going way back. I have found HTC's all to be super well put together, very nice to look at and rock solid reliability. And all of mine have been made in Taiwan, just to boot. I reckon the press and reviews get paid to be biased towards one phone manufacturer/OS than to be totally un-biased, because for them to say the Galaxy SIII is one of the best phones ever, must be a fiddle.
    12-21-2012 03:57 PM
    Spec shortcomings notwithstanding, the reason why I was reluctant about the 8X initially is because I was unimpressed with HTC's build quality on prior phones (to put it gently). I was gunning for the 920 up until the point where it was confirmed that it was it wasn't coming to T-Mobile. In any case, after being forced into my "choice" I must say I'm quite satisfied, and if given the choice today I would definitely stick with the 8X.
    12-21-2012 04:09 PM
    Having a phone billed as a media powerhouse in 2012-2013 that has equivalent storage to the introductory level iPhone Classic from 2007 is preposterous
    Good thing the HTC 8X, at 16 GB, has 4x the storage of the iPhone Classic from 2007 (4 GB), then, eh?
    12-21-2012 06:03 PM
    The reason the 8X doesn't get respect is because it's not a "sexy" brand with legions of fanboys.

Nokia, Apple and Samsung all have legions of people who would buy anything they produce; HTC has always been more of a smartphone artisan, crafting devices for more discerning people (including the early adopters).

HTC takes chances, whereas the other three brands are "safe."

Apple didn't get into smartphones until they had a volume opportunity. Samsung is sticking with a "safe" Android business model. And Nokia didn't get serious about Windows Phone until long after HTC proved there was a market for Windows Phone devices in 2010 with the launch handsets.
    12-21-2012 06:06 PM
    Really? I've been reading a ton of reviews and they almost all generally say that the 8X and the 920 are the definitive, quality flagship WP8 handsets. And I would definitely have to agree!

I used the 920 in a Microsoft Store the other day, and I was shocked at how heavy it was. I had read reviews saying it was on the heavy side, but I never expected it to be THAT heavy. Thick, too.

That fact coupled with the fact that I'm on Verizon, among other reasons, is why I am for sure getting the 8X LTE.
    12-21-2012 06:07 PM
    Storage compacity nowadays has more to do with carriers than the manufacturers. Cloud storage means more data usage and overage charges. Marketing refined to science!!
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    12-21-2012 06:10 PM
    I actually see more ads for the 8x. That said, it is personal preference. Some people like bigger screens but a lot of people like thinner phones. I think the 8X is a sexy device even though I got a 920. In the end, advertisements are going to bring people in and they're going to be led to both devices in the end since the nokia and 8x are right by each other. They are going to play with both and make a choice based on that.
    12-22-2012 12:39 AM
    What is the beef with 16GB storage. I have that on my SG3 and I still have 7 GB free. I stream everything. I take a ton of pics and other things and have no problem with it. I think you are All complaining about something that isn't an issue. Don't forget you get 7gb of cloud space.
    It can become a big issue if you travel, and wind up spending a lot of time in areas where it's Edge coverage only. Unfortunately, it's far more common than it should be at this point.

That said, I got the 8gb model just to play with, and when I tried using it as my primary device, I was able to manage ok.
    12-22-2012 05:26 AM
    Nokia is in the picture, because Nokia has a lot more to lose than HTC. They were for years the biggest phone company but they lost a lot of ground the last 4 years.
    12-22-2012 12:25 PM
    I actually am trying to go back to the 8x. But I used my 14 day return so I MIGHT be selling it on Craigslist. The 920 is great, but the only areas where it is solidly ahead of the 8x and not objectively ahead is low light pcs and exclusive apps. Oh and price too. Storage is objective. Not everyone needs over 14.58 gb of space. The 8x actually takes great pics and videos in normal situations. The screen...objective. Some people like bigger screens and some people prefer it smaller. The one x was a big screen but wasn't as wide as the 920. Typing was easier on the 8x and one x.

Both 920 and 8x are great. If your I think its just a matter of needs/preference.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    I think you're meaning subjective not objective...
    12-22-2012 01:38 PM
    What is the beef with 16GB storage. I have that on my SG3 and I still have 7 GB free. I stream everything. I take a ton of pics and other things and have no problem with it. I think you are All complaining about something that isn't an issue. Don't forget you get 7gb of cloud space.
    I don't get the cloud storage copout. How does that help anyone in airplane mode? Such as my brother trying to ride a motorcycle and not wanting to have his streaming interrupted by text messages which, until the newest update, could not be shut down on bluetooth and still can't be shutdown listening to a wired headset or headphones without going to airplane mode? Can't run cellular in airplane mode.

There's no excuse for 16GB storage and no expansion capability. That's alllllll there is to it.
    03-11-2014 12:23 AM
    It's very simple...the HTC 8X is an inferior device in every way compared to the L920 (except size, but that is subjective) and it is double the cost.

No brainer.
    Don`t know about you guys , but a friend of mine bought L920 with 290 Euros( on a promotion with 50 euros less ) on the beginning of December and I bought my 8X on 24 December with the price of 200 Euros from the same shop .Both phones are neverlocked .Don`t know where you find 8X double priced than L920.
    03-12-2014 07:55 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD