Why no Love for the 8X?

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the media and websites alike are really running with the 920 love while the 8X seems like an afterthought. Why do you guys feel that is?
It's very simple...the HTC 8X is an inferior device in every way compared to the L920 (except size, but that is subjective) and it is double the cost.

No brainer.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It's very simple...the HTC 8X is an inferior device in every way compared to the L920 (except size, but that is subjective) and it is double the cost.

No brainer.
Double the cost....only in the US. And having both devices, I'd have to say the experience on the 8X despite the lack of exclusive apps is better. I had stutter and lag on my 920. My day time pics aren't crisp as my 8x. and even in the day time, takes the 920 longer to get a focused shot and still not as crisp as the 8x pics. Of course at night, the 920 blows any camera out of the water. One pure saving grace. Many of the other technologies the 920 uses are gimmicks. so what you can use a glove and type? So what there's a wireless charge pad? Cool innovations, but doesnt really make MY smartphone experience that much better. Plus, when you have a phone as big as the 920, you better damned well have some cool tech inside!!!! It's like the size of point and shoot cameras these days!!!! Don't come here and make the 8x seem like it's a horrible phone. It really isn't and deserves some acclaim of it's own. Sleek design and still can hold it's own with the best of the rest. Check the sunspider fool. Kick rocks!!!

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Double the cost....only in the US. And having both devices, I'd have to say the experience on the 8X despite the lack of exclusive apps is better. I had stutter and lag on my 920. My day time pics aren't crisp as my 8x. and even in the day time, takes the 920 longer to get a focused shot and still not as crisp as the 8x pics. Of course at night, the 920 blows any camera out of the water. One pure saving grace. Many of the other technologies the 920 uses are gimmicks. so what you can use a glove and type? So what there's a wireless charge pad? Cool innovations, but doesnt really make MY smartphone experience that much better. Plus, when you have a phone as big as the 920, you better damned well have some cool tech inside!!!! It's like the size of point and shoot cameras these days!!!! Don't come here and make the 8x seem like it's a horrible phone. It really isn't and deserves some acclaim of it's own. Sleek design and still can hold it's own with the best of the rest. Check the sunspider fool. Kick rocks!!!
I never said it was a "horrible" phone, but I totally disagree with you that it provides a better experience than the L920. Obviously, it does for you, but for the vast majority of users, the L920 offers more...that's all I'm saying.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, it does for a lot of people who have the 8x. Some by choice, others by force due to carrier restriction. Everyone here knows the specs and the advantages of the 920 vs. the 8x. You've said this in 4 different posts in the 8x forums, we know what you're saying.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have GBs and GBs and GBs of content... movies, music, podcasts, you name it. I don't want to bring them with me all the time, that's why I have my laptop with a 500 GB HDD and numerous external HDDs. I only sync that which I am actually going to listen to/watch/read until the next time I sync, thus the smaller storage amount on the 8X works for me.

So... plenty of love for the 8X here. :)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was all set on a 920, now have two 8X. Business, private. I don't listen much to music on my phone, but the 8X is great for it. I think HTC should make a 64Gb version for those who need the space. For me the ergonomics of the 8X work better. Here in Europe the 8X is a good deal less expensive unlocked than the 920 and easily available. HTC did a great job of distribution. Personally I think the design of the 8X is more 'smartphone' less 'phablet'. Technically the 8X is simpler, plus made in Taiwan, not China. I am a bit feed up with poor chinese quality control. As to the Press, trying to save Nokia, which is a hopeless case in my opinion...

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember that there are really two 8Xs - Verizon's has wireless charging so it is different than the others. Also here in the states the phone getting the heavy promotion is the 8X not the 920 - that is because the 8X is Verizon's flagship and Verizon is the top dog in this country in network size, subscribers, and network robustness. They know how to market better than almost anyone else and they are pushing the 8X.

Also, because of Nokia's foolish exclusivity agreement with AT&T the 8X will wind up outselling the 920. Remember on the 920 that the lower price is solely due to AT&T heavily subsidizing it. Without that factor it would be at least $100 more.

dk0654

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For me its storage and some of the UGLIEST purple(sorry but that's not blue) and whatever you call that other crap...LOL

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the media and websites alike are really running with the 920 love while the 8X seems like an afterthought. Why do you guys feel that is?

Because Nokia Windows Phone fans are a lot more passionate about the brand because they are 100% in on Windows Phone.

Because the Lumia 920 introduces a number of features that are unique, like the Pureview camera and PureMotion HD+ which give the media something to talk about whereas the 8X doesn't really introduce much that is new or unique, aside from the new version of Beats audio which includes hardware amplification.

Because Nokia has so much at stake with Windows Phone that it gives the media a much more interesting story to tell, more suspense and drama there than some Android manufacturer who no one cares about that pumped out one new Windows Phone.

...and finally because the 920 is the better phone (sorry, but it's true)

Ron Paul

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
HTC gets zero love from me because I purchased an HTC Titan. I know how HTC handles their phones and customers. I will not be mistreated again with abandonment. My Nokia Lumia 920 is doing fantastic and has already impressed me way more than the Titan.

Dano79

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The memory is a draw back on my 8x. I always had a 16 gig sd card in my sensation and flashed my phone every 3 or 4 days the entire time I owned it lol. I never ran out of room with many different custom roms stored on it. For me that told me that 16 is fine plus there is always cloud storage I think ? I did stand in the t mobile store for at least an hour contemplating nokia or htc pissing off the salesman

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I traded my 920 back in for a 8X. Just couldn't handle the bulk of the 920. Not the weight just the overall size of the phone.

rgba32bit

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I new I always wanted a wp8 when they came out and thought it would be the 920 but the ergonomics of it didn't at all work for me. I'm loving my 8X.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
People have to remember that the longest ever partnership between a phone manufacturer and a software company is HTC an Microsoft. HTC have been making windows phones/ windows mobile handset for nearly 12 year going way back. I have found HTC's all to be super well put together, very nice to look at and rock solid reliability. And all of mine have been made in Taiwan, just to boot. I reckon the press and reviews get paid to be biased towards one phone manufacturer/OS than to be totally un-biased, because for them to say the Galaxy SIII is one of the best phones ever, must be a fiddle.

ComCypher

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Spec shortcomings notwithstanding, the reason why I was reluctant about the 8X initially is because I was unimpressed with HTC's build quality on prior phones (to put it gently). I was gunning for the 920 up until the point where it was confirmed that it was it wasn't coming to T-Mobile. In any case, after being forced into my "choice" I must say I'm quite satisfied, and if given the choice today I would definitely stick with the 8X.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The reason the 8X doesn't get respect is because it's not a "sexy" brand with legions of fanboys.

Nokia, Apple and Samsung all have legions of people who would buy anything they produce; HTC has always been more of a smartphone artisan, crafting devices for more discerning people (including the early adopters).

HTC takes chances, whereas the other three brands are "safe."

Apple didn't get into smartphones until they had a volume opportunity. Samsung is sticking with a "safe" Android business model. And Nokia didn't get serious about Windows Phone until long after HTC proved there was a market for Windows Phone devices in 2010 with the launch handsets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel