8x build quality - am I being pedantic

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 8x screen is very flush with the case, you cant feel the seam between case and screen.
However the bottom corner of my phone the screen is raised by quite a bit.
I tried my best to get a photo if it which you can see below.

My question is, should I send it back saying its not right or am I being pedantic about it?
Im worried if it goes back for warranty repairs they may see that as an excuse not to fix.

8183512242_074cccab9d_h.jpg

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The 8x screen is very flush with the case, you cant feel the seam between case and screen.
However the bottom corner of my phone the screen is raised by quite a bit.
I tried my best to get a photo if it which you can see below.

My question is, should I send it back saying its not right or am I being pedantic about it?
Im worried if it goes back for warranty repairs they may see that as an excuse not to fix.

Click to view quoted image

I saw this exact same thing in a review video. The guy called it an error during production.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
That is called HTC quality. The One X had a loose digitizer where corners of the screen could be pushed in, the silver camera lens circle cap also began raising after awhile, and there was some poor finishing near the micro usb port. That is typical HTC quality and why they get spanked in Android.

I suggest live with it or switch brands. Once I get my 8x, I would be happy with just one flaw like that raised screen provided it stays in place and doesn't lift anymore. Preferably no flaws but this is HTC we are talking about here.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Had the exact same feature with the review unit I received from Clove. Didn't think much of it, and didn't believe it posed any potential problem for the device. I feel as though the overall build quality of the 8X is pretty good.

GarrettSR5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That is called HTC quality. The One X had a loose digitizer where corners of the screen could be pushed in, the silver camera lens circle cap also began raising after awhile, and there was some poor finishing near the micro usb port. That is typical HTC quality and why they get spanked in Android.

I suggest live with it or switch brands. Once I get my 8x, I would be happy with just one flaw like that raised screen provided it stays in place and doesn't lift anymore. Preferably no flaws but this is HTC we are talking about here.

For someone who **** talks HTC I'm surprised you bought an 8X.
I've had HTC phones since 2005 when the Apache came out, then the Mogul then the Titan then the Touch then the Touch Pro and now I rock a Touch Pro2. I beat the crap out of my phones and HTC have been nothing but awesome.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
With manufacturers now producing millions of phones, there is no way quality can be what it was say 10 year ago.

Take it back until you are satisfied. Eventually you'll get one that is right. It may take 3 or 4 times, but stick with it. You're spending good money, and you deserve quality.

PS "Pedantic" is the wrong word. It doesn't fit at all. I don't know why you would use that word.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
For someone who **** talks HTC I'm surprised you bought an 8X.
I've had HTC phones since 2005 when the Apache came out, then the Mogul then the Titan then the Touch then the Touch Pro and now I rock a Touch Pro2. I beat the crap out of my phones and HTC have been nothing but awesome.

I really had no choice. The Nokia Lumia 920 is way too big for me and the Ativ S is too similar to my current phone. It was either the 8x or not get Windows Phone at all.

Well, I had the latest and greatest HTC phone the One X(two of them bought a month apart) so I think my experience is a more up to date indicator of their quality or lack of quality.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I really had no choice. The Nokia Lumia 920 is way too big for me and the Ativ S is too similar to my current phone. It was either the 8x or not get Windows Phone at all.

The Lumia 820 wasn't an option? Sure, you don't get an HD display or the camera goodies of the 920, but you get some powerful internals and expandable storage (up to 64GB for your media files).

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Had the exact same feature with the review unit I received from Clove. Didn't think much of it, and didn't believe it posed any potential problem for the device. I feel as though the overall build quality of the 8X is pretty good.

I just received my Black 8X from Clove 30 minutes ago. I had to look very hard to find that the bottom left corner of the screen wasn't as flushed into the body as the other 3 corners.

It isn't as pronounced as the OP's phone. Maybe half the height or less of what you see in the picture he posted. With mine, you have to try very hard to notice it.

I would recommend the OP to exchange it if you can. I may not be a noticeable detail, but if you can get a perfectly aligned one, get it.

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I contacted my mobile provider.
As a customer of their other services I get free insurance. When I called and explained what the issue was, I was asked if I wanted to do an insurance claim with a ?35 excess.
Trying to pull a fast one.
I explained that I didn't cause the issue and its something I have noticed after using the phone for a few days.

Long story short I they are swapping it out on Friday as a manufaturing fault.

I'll tell you if the next one is any better.

As for the Pedantic, I was trying to think of a single word which meant "unrealisticly high expectation" I got bored of thinking and put anything.

Munkeyphyst

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My understanding of Pedantic is nit picky for details that ultimately don't matter. Granted, it usually applies to academia, but it makes sense in the manner that you used it, even if only metaphorically. Either rdef is being intentionally obtuse to drive home his pedantic agenda, or he doesn't know what it means...
I hope your quest for a more "polished" 8X is successful. :)

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I also have had HTCs for years in both Win Mobile/WinPhone and Android. My current phone is an HTC Rezound and the build quality is superb. Methinks that we have some Nokia trolls on the forums trying to badmouth HTC.

As to the OP, I would request an exchange. The carrier should do it no issues - all phones have bad one in the production run, it's a sad fact of our mass production world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa