Do you think HTC dropped the ball on the 8x?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
HTC seems to have put alot of detail and effort into the overall design of the 8x, but feature wise it seems that the masses aren't seeing it stack up even against a 822 or 820. The main faults for the 8x, not enough storage, not en expandable storage slot, and no removable battery. Had they added a few of these options, I believe they could sell more and not have people on the fence tip over to the other side. I know some of you on the forums don't have a choice in get what is being touted as the TRUE flagship of Windows Phone 8, the L920. Do you folks think HTC really messed up their chances in getting themselves a boost in WP8 sales or is it still way to early to speculate? I myself am still considering getting the 8x again simply because of the size. This Nokia 920 is cool and all, but when I stuff it in my pocket, or go jogging, I can definitely feel the difference. I'm so ambivalent on whether I want features over ergonomics.

Your thoughts? Is this an HTC FailX or is there still some saving grace in the 8x?
And how soon do you think HTC releases an improved version of the 8x?

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a stopgap phone, just ready in time for the launch of WP8 phones. I fully expect to see an updated version announced within 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, though - I love the 8X and I think it is a great phone. There is plenty of room for improvement, though - and this is true for the 920 as well. Think of them as a great foundation to build upon.

While I was deciding between the 920 and the 8X, one of the main factors was the fact that (imo) both of these phones will be obsolete within 6 months. Nokia will release a new "flagship" with maybe a smaller form factor (or at least thinner!) and HTC will release another 8X-type phone (8XL anyone?) with probably a bigger screen, to compete with the Android willy-wavers.

Just my opinion of course - but in the end I chose the cheaper 8X, assuming that whichever phone I get it'll be outdated within 6 months, so I'm not really missing out on anything if I don't get the 920.

We'll see.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a stopgap phone, just ready in time for the launch of WP8 phones. I fully expect to see an updated version announced within 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, though - I love the 8X and I think it is a great phone. There is plenty of room for improvement, though - and this is true for the 920 as well. Think of them as a great foundation to build upon.

While I was deciding between the 920 and the 8X, one of the main factors was the fact that (imo) both of these phones will be obsolete within 6 months. Nokia will release a new "flagship" with maybe a smaller form factor (or at least thinner!) and HTC will release another 8X-type phone (8XL anyone?) with probably a bigger screen, to compete with the Android willy-wavers.

Just my opinion of course - but in the end I chose the cheaper 8X, assuming that whichever phone I get it'll be outdated within 6 months, so I'm not really missing out on anything if I don't get the 920.

We'll see.

Ah, but the quandary here in America is that the 920 is cheaper here than the 8x....which in many people's eyes was a no brainer. I told myself that I would wait a year to reinvest in WP devices. I have the One X and I am ready to sell it..almost. I got twinkly eyes when I saw the new devices released and bought into it. Both phones are nice in their own right, but WP8 as an OS has some tapering to do. But it's still a great OS.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A non-removable battery never holds the iPhone back, and i bet the iPhone with the lowest storage sells far far more units than the higher storage versions.

Just look at the drop tests of the Galaxy S3. The cost of removable storage and removable battery, is a flimsy phone.

To be honest, i think HTC did a brilliant job. Its a beautiful phone, at a reasonable price, with a very hand friendly shape, and stuff like the Beats amp and super fast camera will appeal to a large number of people.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
A non-removable battery never holds the iPhone back, and i bet the iPhone with the lowest storage sells far far more units than the higher storage versions.

Just look at the drop tests of the Galaxy S3. The cost of removable storage and removable battery, is a flimsy phone.

To be honest, i think HTC did a brilliant job. Its a beautiful phone, at a reasonable price, with a very hand friendly shape, and stuff like the Beats amp and super fast camera will appeal to a large number of people.

I like the design of the phone and storage has never been an issue on a 16GB phone for me. But there are tons of people out there who say 16GB is not enough and they need a removable battery. I feel like with the comments that are being made, that the 8x was built for a select few with minimal requirements. I wish HTC would start doing more R&D on tech like they used to.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Part of the reason for that is that the iPhone tends to have pretty good battery life (at least in comparison with other phones with similarly sized batteries). I had a Verizon iPhone 5 for a week and I could go 2 days on a charge with moderate usage. I've never been able to do that with an Android or WP7 device and that's coming from someone who rarely has the same phone after 4 months.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Part of the reason for that is that the iPhone tends to have pretty good battery life (at least in comparison with other phones with similarly sized batteries). I had a Verizon iPhone 5 for a week and I could go 2 days on a charge with moderate usage. I've never been able to do that with an Android or WP7 device and that's coming from someone who rarely has the same phone after 4 months.

My wife hates that I switch phones so much. lol. I haven't owned an iphone since the 4. The WP7 devices actually had some pretty good battery life in my opinion. These new WP8 phones are having issues there. Can't handle dual cores well or something? Mt titan 2 could last me all day. my 920 only gets me 8-9 hours. What a huge battery suck. My wife's 8x though lasts her pretty long. I think yesterday she got about 14 hours. with moderate usage. Surfing, reddit, couple of videos, a few pics.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I like the design of the phone and storage has never been an issue on a 16GB phone for me. But there are tons of people out there who say 16GB is not enough and they need a removable battery. I feel like with the comments that are being made, that the 8x was built for a select few with minimal requirements. I wish HTC would start doing more R&D on tech like they used to.

Keep in mind that we're all phone geeks on this board. The average user may not need all of those features. In the case of HTC, if you're going to design only 1 version of the phone with regards to storage, why not cater it to the largest demographic? I will say that even as someone who doesn't really watch movies or take lots of pictures, I'd still stay away from the 8GB 8X that AT&T offers.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that we're all phone geeks on this board. The average user may not need all of those features. In the case of HTC, if you're going to design only 1 version of the phone with regards to storage, why not cater it to the largest demographic? I will say that even as someone who doesn't really watch movies or take lots of pictures, I'd still stay away from the 8GB 8X that AT&T offers.

Well some older folks might not take as much pictures and videos or have that much music on their phones, BUT at the same time it would be nice for them not to ever have to worry about space. Some folks like my mom can be pack rats when it comes to phones and storing photos and videos.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well some older folks might not take as much pictures and videos or have that much music on their phones, BUT at the same time it would be nice for them not to ever have to worry about space. Some folks like my mom can be pack rats when it comes to phones and storing photos and videos.

True, but then you lose the ability to market your phone at a lower cost. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that walk into a store and grab whatever device they can get for $100. It definitely isn't easy to satisfy everyone with just a single device and HTC more than likely will have a higher end WP8 device out in the next few months.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I wish HTC would start doing more R&D on tech like they used to.

HTC never did much R&D. They buy and assemble parts. At heart they are still that type of company, with a few software dev teams on the side. Nothing wrong with that, but very different from Samsung and Nokia... more like Apple (although Apple seems to be ramping up R&D spending lately).

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Ah, but the quandary here in America is that the 920 is cheaper here than the 8x....which in many people's eyes was a no brainer. I told myself that I would wait a year to reinvest in WP devices. I have the One X and I am ready to sell it..almost. I got twinkly eyes when I saw the new devices released and bought into it. Both phones are nice in their own right, but WP8 as an OS has some tapering to do. But it's still a great OS.

Yeah that's what I find strangest. Such an inconsistency in pricing means that one or more markets are losing out here... Are AT&T footing the extra cost of the 920? Or are Nokia offering their phones for cheaper in the US to try and gain market share? Or are us Europeans just paying more because Nokia are asking for more money over here? Or are HTC just charging more in the US because they can? It's pretty annoying, because I'd pribably gone with the 920 if it had been the same price as the 8X.

In hindsight, I obviously should have waited, but, well, I'm super impatient and I'd had my HD7 for way too long - it was getting a little elderly :p

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC never did much R&D. They buy and assemble parts. At heart they are still that type of company, with a few software dev teams on the side. Nothing wrong with that, but very different from Samsung and Nokia... more like Apple (although Apple seems to be ramping up R&D spending lately).

I like Samsung (my first smartphone was a Galaxy Mini :D ). But I'm not really sure if they would are a good example of a company with good "R&D". I maybe wrong, can you care to elaborate more on what good R&D Samsung has done?

On topic, I agree with spiff_p239 that to the tech geek, the HTC 8X is underwhelming. However, to the average consumer I also think that this phone looks great (with the correct pricing of course)! I showed the HTC phones to my cousin and he likes them better than the Lumia actually. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

Also I'm really confused about the pricing of the 8X in the US. It's more expensive than the 920, which actually has a LOT more to offer!

BTW, I'm not biased to the 920, I'm getting an 8X :D

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what the deal is with the pricing, but it is misleading. Normal folks wont know the pricing difference from US and the UK, but as us folks being in the know....wth. -_-*

WillBrown

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the 8X is a nice device. Beautiful.
I was all set to switch from T-Mo to AT&T for the 920, but then I held both devices in my hand.

I started with a Dell Venue Pro (which broke) then switched to T-Mo's Lumia 710, just to have a phone between phones. I love all the Nokia exclusives (especially Nokia Drive), but when weighed against the 8X's form factor and a cheaper data monthly plan I decided to go with the 8X which I'll pick up this week.

I do believe like, shinygerbil, that better phones will come within the year, so I won't have any issue upgrading again.

The 8X has all the basic features I need and is a step up from both my DVP and Lumia 710 in specs.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The main faults for the 8x, not enough storage, not en expandable storage slot, and no removable battery.

The L920 has two of these same faults. The 16GB of storage is hit or miss - depends on who you are and how you use your phone. For me, the 16GB of storage on my Trophy has been enough. I have over 66GB of music, so I still have my iPod. People with smaller collections who might want to fit it all on their phone or those who take lots of pictures might find it too limiting. Also, wouldn't shock me if in a few years a removable battery is the exception and not the rule (due to improved batteries and the desire to sell new phones every few years).

Had they added a few of these options, I believe they could sell more and not have people on the fence tip over to the other side.

Totally agree. If they'd even kept it at 16GB but added expandable storage, I think that alone would have tipped the scales in HTC's favor over the Lumia. Some would still be put off by the camera not being as good as the L920, but not everyone.

I know some of you on the forums don't have a choice in get what is being touted as the TRUE flagship of Windows Phone 8, the L920. Do you folks think HTC really messed up their chances in getting themselves a boost in WP8 sales or is it still way to early to speculate?

I think it's too early to tell. Having seen both, I think the 8X looks nicer and feels better. And there were rumors of an even higher end HTC WP8, the "Zenith". I'm not sure what happened to that - after the announcement of the 8X and 8S, I stopped tracking. So, it is possible they'll come out with a better phone in 3-6 months.

Your thoughts? Is this an HTC FailX or is there still some saving grace in the 8x? And how soon do you think HTC releases an improved version of the 8x?

I don't think it's a fail at all. I think they probably know there are a lot of people out there that don't need 32GB of storage, who don't care about expandable storage, a removable battery, etc. I also think they know that the look of their phone will draw some people in. I think it's a good first step in a new direction: phones with nice style, color, and features but with plenty of room to grow. Between the Lumias and the HTC WPs, I think the style of phones has been pushed forward beyond anything out there. Not just the black, white and grey phones you see all over the place.

Great post with some interesting questions!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No. I don't.

I had an L920 and I loved it; overheating and loss of connectivity issues brought me back to the AT&T store where I was planning on swapping out for a new L920, but I wanted to take a look at the 8X while I was there.

It's an amazing phone. Heads and tails lighter than the L920 with an only marginally smaller screen. Almost identical performance in every way. The lack of a replaceable battery (in either phone) is a non-issue for me; I've been on iPhones for the last since-the-first-day-of-the-3GS years. The smaller storage in the 8X is also a non-issue; I use my phone more for messaging and keeping-in-the-know than as a media device, so I never dump a bunch of music and videos on it (my last phone, a 32gb iPhone 4, had a total of about 6gb of stuff on it, including all the pics I'd snapped since I got it). While I loved the L920, I lusted after the 8X.

So I swapped the L920 for an 8X and I'm super happy. :)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm glad there are some positive sentiments about the 8x. The forums kneel down to the 920 and the top guys of WPcentral have seemed to dismiss it seeing as they barely mention it lately. I thought this was WPcentral. Not Nokia WP central. :lol:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure comparing it to the the lumia really matters - what is more important is how the HTC DNA sells and how the overall wp8 marketshare progresses, if the DNA sells well and the response to WP8 is as poor as it was to Wp7, then really who cares? It is like being the winner in a school football match, your family will care but nobody else.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077