Thoughts from a 920 owner

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have owned and returned the 920 and played with the 8X quite a bit, and have come to the conclusion that, cost aside, the 8X is the better phone.

The size and weight of the 8X make it more comfortable to hold and use with one hand.

Despite what some reviews say, the 8X has a better screen. The pixel density is higher and it doesn't have any awful coatings on it. The 920's ClearBlack display coating may give it slightly better blacks, but it hurts clarity a bit and gives the screen an annoying shimmery quality. The 920 screen is also too warm and distorts colors at certain angles more than the 8X screen does. And the 920's PureMotion aspect is nothing but marketing. The 8X's display has a 60 Hz refresh rate too. That's standard stuff. The 8X operates just as smoothly.

Overall, the 8X has a better camera as well. There, I said it. The 920 certainly takes better low light pictures and videos, but most people take photos in decently lit places and the 8X just takes way better pictures in normal lighting.

The 8X has the standard Windows Phone Maps app. Be thankful. You can't access it on the 920 and Nokia Maps isn't up to snuff yet. Just look here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/202762.htm

Yes, Nokia's app selection is pretty nice and definitely better than what HTC offers, but if price wasn't a factor, I still would choose the 8X over the 920. As it stands, I will be skipping this round of Windows phones for now. I feel the 8X is just too expensive compared to the 920 and Windows Phone still has some issues that need to be worked out.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have owned and returned the 920 and played with the 8X quite a bit, and have come to the conclusion that, cost aside, the 8X is the better phone.

The size and weight of the 8X make it more comfortable to hold and use with one hand.

Despite what some reviews say, the 8X has a better screen. The pixel density is higher and it doesn't have any awful coatings on it. The 920's ClearBlack display coating may give it slightly better blacks, but it hurts clarity a bit and gives the screen an annoying shimmery quality. The 920 screen is also too warm and distorts colors at certain angles more than the 8X screen does. And the 920's PureMotion aspect is nothing but marketing. The 8X's display has a 60 Hz refresh rate too. That's standard stuff. The 8X operates just as smoothly.

Overall, the 8X has a better camera as well. There, I said it. The 920 certainly takes better low light pictures and videos, but most people take photos in decently lit places and the 8X just takes way better pictures in normal lighting.

The 8X has the standard Windows Phone Maps app. Be thankful. You can't access it on the 920 and Nokia Maps isn't up to snuff yet. Just look here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/202762.htm

Yes, Nokia's app selection is pretty nice and definitely better than what HTC offers, but if price wasn't a factor, I still would choose the 8X over the 920. As it stands, I will be skipping this round of Windows phones for now. I feel the 8X is just too expensive compared to the 920 and Windows Phone still has some issues that need to be worked out.
while i'll be picking up an 8x, as far as the camera goes, there's no reason why the 920's should be inferior to the 8x. the hardware is simply better. it's likely a software issue that can be tweaked.

and i disagree about most people taking photos in well lit areas.

epsjrnews

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you took the time to post this. Personally, I can't wait until the full review is out. It's stay with Verizon and the HTC 8X or jump ship and go AT&T with the L920.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
while i'll be picking up an 8x, as far as the camera goes, there's no reason why the 920's should be inferior to the 8x. the hardware is simply better. it's likely a software issue that can be tweaked.

and i disagree about most people taking photos in well lit areas.

It's actually just in poorly lit areas where the 920 excels though. I should have said most people don't take a lot of photos in poorly lit areas. But maybe my friends just aren't cave dwellers.

And the same could be said about the Lumia 800 and 900 cameras. They both had great camera hardware on paper, but despite Nokia's promises to improve the cameras with software updates, they never took great pictures, even after the updates. The HTC Titan and Titan II cameras were better on launch day and they are still better today. This whole mess seems awfully familiar. I'm betting Nokia will release an update designed to improve the camera quality, but it will only be very slightly improved, just as before.

enderschosen

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought all windows phones were coming standard with Nokia Maps? I was at the store today looking at both the 920 and the 8x and the maps looked identical. The 8x just called it "Maps" where as the 920 called it Nokia Maps I believe. I owned the 900 and was pretty torn between the 8x and the 920, then started reading some reviews and was leaning towards the 920, but as soon as I saw it in the store and held it and then held the 8x. I was immediately turned off by the size and squareness of the 920. None of the pics really did it justice and as soon as I had it in my hand I new it wasn't what I wanted. The 8x felt sooo much better in my hand and yeah, I agree that the camera on the 900 wasn't as good as it was supposed to be. Definitely had problems in lighted areas.

8x is totally the way to go.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok here this goes, I might get railed but whatevers. I played with the 8x today in the store, honestly it just whatever you are looking for in a phone. I personally don't like the design and the 920 just looks better to me. Again though, looks are entirely subjective. As for the weight, coming from a samsung focus S where the phone literally weighed close to nothing, I have no complaint on how heavy the 920 is, I went running with my girlfriend today and it really wasn't bad at all I barely felt it in my pocket. (PS we ran 4 miles so yes I had a long time to think about how heavy it was, didn't even notice it). But the 8x really impressed me considering they got all that tech in there and kept the weight down. It really impressed me a lot and liked the feel of the back (I might have considered an 8x if it looked like the 8s honestly).

the 8x had a similar snappiness that is Windows phone and felt exactly like the 920 operating wise.

The camera is an interesting argument since that is what most of the weight comes from in the 920, the 8x's camera is nothing to laugh at, I admit I didn't get a chance to test it out at night but during the day in well lit shots it takes good pictures.I guess once Nokia comes out with a fix then we can compare better, but during the day the HTC 8x is pretty snappy. I do however recommend you try out the 920 at night if you can its pretty freaking cool as a tech guy and photo buff anyways.

I am kind of jealous you guys have a notification light by the speaker, didn't get a chance to hear the music out of earphones at the store, but what I can tell you is the 920 is no slouch either. But when I get the chance I'm gonna go down and try out the 8x audio capabilities.

I'm not going to get into the specs screen thing because I can't tell the difference between 2-3 ppi, the screens looked similar to me couldn't test out my 1080 video out on the 8x since it was at the store.

All in all I think between the 8x and 920 and eventually the samsung we got all the bases covered. I did really like the 8x a really solid and well built phone (still impressed at the weight) the look of it just wasn't for me. Cheers to WP8 guys!

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920, and I prefer it over the 8X, but I think the 8X is an equally nice phone. I know someone commented about the weight, but I actually prefer the weight of the 920, I don't feel like I'm going to break it. Screen, they're both amazing, I've held them side by side. So chalk that up to minor user preferences. The maps thing, not a big deal to me, never has been. I couldn't pass up on the upgrade deal I got, and the price on the 920 was a big plus for me. But I say get the phone that makes you happy.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
can you say that around here? LOL
I thought the same thing! He'll probably get a nasty gram in his personal message box. People just don't know..this is NokiaWPcentral. lol.
I agree with the daytime pics though, better than the 920 i had. I only have one problem with the 8x. The keyboard. I don't know if it's an accuracy thing or what, but I can't type as good as on my android. I also had problems typing on my 920. Coming from a swype keyboard though. so I'll just have to get used to having pin point accuracy. lol.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Glad to come upon this topic. I've had my AT&T 8X since Saturday. Love the phone, great form factor, but my only hesitancy is coming off the Titan I notice the slightly small screen size and keyboard. I always liked the big heavy feel of the Titan, which is more comparable to the 920. I didn't think I would but have gotten used to the form and feel of the 8X in my hand. I've got 8 days to decide whether I want to swap it in for the bigger screen size of the 920. But there is no doubt the 8X is a much better looking phone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't wait to get a 920, but the one I got had heat problems and would lose connectivity. When I went back to the AT&T store to swap it, I saw the 8X and was smitten. I think that the 920 is a great device (or will be, when some of its issues are ironed out) but I greatly prefer the 8X. The rubberized back, the thinner size, the lighter weight, the equal performance just make the 8X a no-brainer for me. Again, though, I'm not dissing the 920... it's a great phone.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Agree with most of the comments here about both being great, just subjective preferences of the user. One correction though about the OPs message. Clear Black Display is not a coating on the screen, it's an internal polarizing layer under the surface of the display. The coating on the actual exterior is an oleophobic coating that helps reduce fingerprints and streaking on the screen.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Made the switch this morning, definitely a fan of the 8X over the 920. The grippy surface is a big difference and I actually like the blue color over the black 920 and the 8X is just much more portable in terms of overall size. I don't even notice the screen size difference.

One downside is the blue does show dirt and dust but isn't difficult to clean. I also wish there was a way to get the wireless charging on the ATT version of the phone, but I've lived without wireless charging for years I'm sure I can continue without it.

I did notice some light leak from the very bottom of the screen, but that's not a big issue.

subkamran

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I was gunning for the 920 but was disappointed to see it wasn't coming to Verizon. However, after reading what others think of the 8X so far, I don't feel so bad and I always thought 8X was really good too. Can't wait to get it!

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be exchanging my 920 for an 8X as well, but none of the stores around me have a 16GB 8X in stock. I would also prefer a black one on ATT, but the california blue isn't that bad (just wish it was actually blue). It's also annoying to be paying twice as much for half the storage.

I did a screen comparison side by side and did think the 920 was better (black white level, smoother scrolling, extra pixels) but I doubt I would have really thought there was a difference if I looked at them separately.

I didn't think the weight of the 920 was that bad, I just felt like it was a too bulky and awkward to hold on the go. But after holding the 8X it felt 10 times better and outweighed the positives of the 920 in my mind. The super sensitive touch screen didn't work very well for me, wireless charging is cool but I don't need it, I'd like the nokia apps but can live without them, and the camera on the 8X is adequate my purposes.

I really like both phones but I'm really looking forward to the 2nd generation w8 phones

Last edited:

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Remember that each phone has its strengths. The 920 has more storage, wireless charging and has Nokia apps plus some people prefer the Nokia form factor.

The 8X has a fantastic display and (for VZW) wireless charging. Again some people will prefer the HTC form factor here.

Both have high end cameras that excel in different areas. The Lumia is better in low light but the 8X with the dedicated imaging chip and super quick shutter speed is superior to every other camera out there (except its brother the One X) at pictures of things in motion.

1414H77

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I am kind of jealous you guys have a notification light by the speaker...

I see the light, but I do not get notified of anything except charging. I can't find a setting to make it work for emails, texts, etc. Anyone aware of if this ability exists?

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I see the light, but I do not get notified of anything except charging. I can't find a setting to make it work for emails, texts, etc. Anyone aware of if this ability exists?

I think it's something that could easily be added with a software update.

jbudke

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I too HAD a 920 and exchanged it for the 8X (att). I too am disappointed that att does not carry it in black, but oh well. I am to receive my 8X on Monday 11/19/12. I am hoping that the rumors I have read about the att 8X not having capacitive charging are incorrect. It sucks how the carriers can negotiate different handset options. Wireless charging should just be available or not. Not turned on for some and off for others. Going from an iPhone 4 to the Lumia 920 was just too drastic a size change. The 920 is definitely a 2 handed phone and I could not adjust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077