Easier way to get PDF's and other files onto your device

fxwilliamson

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here?s how to get pdf files and Word docs and whatever other files you want onto your device.
It beats having to email the documents to your phone because it is much faster and there is no limit to the number and size of the files you transfer this way.
But it does require that your pc and phone beconnected via WiFi, at least as far as I can tell. I haven't figured out a way to get it to work via USB. If anybody knows how to get the phone to point to the HFS url while connected via USB I would be delighted to know.

First, download the HFS http file server onto your pc. Go here: HFS ~ HTTP File Server
It?s a simple and small executable and can be run without installing anything. I have found that it runs perfectly under XP, Win 7 and Win 8.

Secondly, run the file server (it?s called hfs.exe)

Third, upload files to the Virtual Server. You can simply and easily drag and drop pdf files into the Virtual File System pane of the app.

Fourth, make sure your phone?s WiFi is on and also, of course, that your pc is connected to a WiFi router.

Fifth, point your phone?s browser to the url indicated by the HFS file server. This will typically be the ip address of your machine (e.g., http://192.168. 0.10) or whatever. It indicates quite clearly what this is just underneath the Title Bar of the HFS app.

Sixth, your browser will list the various files on the virtual server. Simply select whatever you want and the browser will download the file to the relevant (hidden) directory.

You're done! Your document hub will list the various documents you have downloaded.

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I would second SkyDrive. I'm almost always connected via WiFi so it's just easier that way.

Dropbox has a LAN Sync option which would be nice in Skydrive. Lan Sync isn't supported on the mobile versions of Dropbox, but it would be a nice feature to have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss