8x about as useful as a chocolate teapot

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The vast majority of 8X's and 920's are NOT doing all of these things.
For the 920's? Probably true.

I would wager that a sizable percentage of 8X's are having reboot issues, though, given the large number of posts here and elsewhere. Tom Warren at The Verge didn't have reboots for a while (and he got his pre-launch) but has been experiencing them lately. It's definitely widespread at this point. Swapping the phone out is only going to help if it's a hardware issue, which would be shocking to me given the behavior.

This reminds me a little too much of the software update that caused reboots in the HTC Thunderbolt. :(

marbla

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I think that basing percentages on forum posts is like reading tea leaves. It seems likely that there are some OS or firmware problems and we'll have to see how fast MS, HTC and Nokia respond. How many devices really have a problem in percent is probably less than one would think.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that basing percentages on forum posts is like reading tea leaves. It seems likely that there are some OS or firmware problems and we'll have to see how fast MS, HTC and Nokia respond. How many devices really have a problem in percent is probably less than one would think.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. There can't be that many early adopters out there and the number of 8X posts about reboots relative to any other issue with WP8 is extremely high.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is really starting to look like a carrier specific issue. My 8x on US Verizon has had ZERO problems. I don't think I have seen anyone on Verizon post about reboots.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and I am sorry for you that you are having this problem. This is an awesome phone for me so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Harry Bastard

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine since o2 UK release date. It had a few reboots but now is suffering from the synch email loop and the contacts not updating with the desktop app. Seems like a lot of o2 issues.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
This is really starting to look like a carrier specific issue. My 8x on US Verizon has had ZERO problems. I don't think I have seen anyone on Verizon post about reboots.

I agree. My AT&T 8x has been perfect. No reboots, good batt life, no freezes.

ether813

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Got mine the 15th for Verizon, only had one reboot and i think that had more to do with pairing on bluetooth to the Ford Sync in my Flex with the usb cable connected at the same time. Outside of that rare instance, i have not experienced and reboots whatsoever.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK so to bring this to a close HTC have requested my phone so they can run diagnostics on it and get to the bottom of the issue. Getting a new one couriered out to me and my ones off to the HQ in Taiwan for testing as it seems im getting a whole bag of issues. Was going to go and just get a replacement from O2 but figured its easier dealing with HTC than the morons at O2. And if whats on my phone can help sort out the problems then it should be good news for everyone else. So in summary HTC=Good O2=Bad.

MartyAB

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 8X since 24 Okt and i have no issues. Its working perfectly, its not carrier locked and runs on my telenor microsim since i had my android phone.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 8X since 24 Okt and i have no issues. Its working perfectly, its not carrier locked and runs on my telenor microsim since i had my android phone.

DId you get yours from a launch event? Windows Phone 8 launch wasnt until 29th Oct. It does look like the problems are carrier exclusive though

SRRAE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone from Virgin and I have only had reboot issues. Some days is 4-5 times (that I have noticed) others it's fine for days at a time.
Oh and I found a strange bug on the volume while in one of the apps, no matter what button I pressed it brought up the volume ribbon at the top of the screen. I forgot what app and has only done it once. I would call that a minor bug.

I noticed that my firmware is slightly different to yours
Mine is 1532.20.10024.401, yours is 1532.20.10005.206

I dont know if the firmware is simply carrier difference (mine will essentailly by T-Mobile / Orange / EE)

anthony pang

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought my htc 8x blue from 02 online a couple weeks ago. I've experienced several reboots a day, mostly while the phone is idle. I will probably replace it when I visit an o2 shop this week. Here is my recent conversation on the HTC website about 30 minutes ago. The guy didn't really have anything useful to say to be honest.

You are currently at position number 1 in the queue.
You have been connected to Aaron.
anthony Pang: hi
Aaron: Thank you for your patience, I'm sorry for the delay. I am looking into your query now.
anthony Pang: I'm having problems with my htc 8x rebooting can you advise what to do
Aaron: I am sorry to hear that. We have received a statement from HTC today regarding a rebooting issue.
Aaron: Thank you for contacting us. We’re committed to delivering a great customer experience. As such, we investigate all reported issues. If a hardware or software change is found to improve a customer experience, it will be deployed according to our standard, required processes. We apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced and appreciate your patience as we work quickly to investigate this issue
anthony Pang: is it software or hardware
Aaron: At the moment it is being investigated so I could not confirm. We will have an update regarding the issue as soon as possible.
anthony Pang: any idea how long this will take?
Aaron: Unfortunately I could not confirm that as we only received the statement today, however if the device is new your retailer should be able to swap the device without any issues
anthony Pang: It just restarts about once or twice a day, often when it is idle. I don't want to take it back and get it replaced if it is fixable via a software update you see
Aaron: Yes, I am sorry about that. It is certainly not what we expect from a new device. We hope to have more information soon, and if it is a software issue an update will be out as soon as possible to resolve it
anthony Pang: Ok, thanks for your help.
Aaron: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
anthony Pang: No, that is all, thank you

anthony pang

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
martin can you keep me posted, since we both have the same carrier and the same issue? I am keeping my phone until i know for certain it can't be fixed by an update.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Antony. Will do. Although my handsets being shipped directly back to Taiwan. I would advise getting your phone replaced by htc or go back to O2for a replacement. If you go via O2 you only have 28days to return it.
It could be a couple of weeks before htc can pin the problem down and get a software fix put out.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

anthony pang

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
yea, i'm getting a replacement tomorrow now. Hopefully this one won't have any issues. Shame though, I had set up the phone just the way I liked, I'm going to have to do it all again =/

sibrecat

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi would anyone on O2 be willing to write down there MMS settings from
their HTC as i bought an unlocked one with no settings in it & can't get MMS to work 
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

JBHorner#CB

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Fifteen reboots in one day, two days ago. Three yesterday. It was returned to Verizon, which in itself was a hassle. I've "only" had one reboot today. I don't agree that it probably carrier specific.

Anthony Pang1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement from o2. Had to drive to a depot after work as dpd uk seemed to lack the ability of actually doing their job. Curiously, i've noticed my replacement has been put together better. It doesn't creak when j push the sides of the device unlike my old one. No reboots as of yet either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6