Custom case project for my TMO 8X

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sadly the Steel is NOT an option. I checked the requirements and it needs a 3MM thick wall. The current walls are 1MM thick, so it would make the case EXCESSIVELY heavy and thick at 3MM, plus it would more then tripple the price. Silver is still an option though.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
silver could work. i believe silver is a lot softer though, but with the rough texture, it should age nicely even when it gets banged up. worst case scenario, can always use it to kill vampires and werewolves

i'm very excited about this. if you come up with precise measurements for a case in silver, i'm definitely purchasing.

I still urge you to consider just replacing the entire housing assembly though ;)

edit: considering you have all of the corners covered, as well as the curvature of the back integrated into your "web" design, it wouldn't be out of the question to create a fully covered back, would it?

Last edited:

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Making a solid case would be easy, but the extra materials would make it heavy and very expensive. The web design minimizes weight and cost, but still offers good overall protection. A solid silver case would cost around $200 or more. If thats still an option for you at that price, im willing to make it once I know the plastic case fits.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I will certainly consider it! pricey, but extremely unique. won't have to worry about scratches and dings either because it'll be part of the "look"

let's see how the web process goes first :)

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If you interested in unique, ill emboss or engrave anything you want into the surface (within reason) like a name or logo. Make it TRULY unique! =) Silver has a very high resolution, so you can get some really nice detail into it.

If all goes well, I will be sending the prototype to the printer today. Im finishing the retention clip design right now.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I may just have my last name or initials engraved. I'm very excited about this! I am sure there will be a market for custom sterling silver cases. Chromed backplates and such had a pretty big market back in the motorola clamshell days. People were even doing them in platinum and gold (but those didn't sell as well).

Thanks Kevin.

-Christopher

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. I got an E-mail from Shapeways saying the case is being printed. With luck, maybe it will ship before there Dec 3rd quote!

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just an FYI. I sent the model off to the printer to test out the cost. The cost is reasonable for the plastics! The metals will be about 40-50$ for the stainless steele, and over $120 for sterling silver. Anyone wanna bling there phone? Gold plate for about $60!

I'd love to buy the plastic case. Let us know how it works out for you. BTW, how much would the plastic case cost? Thanks!

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1mm does seem a bit thin, no? that's less than 1/16th of an inch. or does it just come down to 1mm at the beveled edge?

i'm still considering bronzed steel @ 3mm. although i'm not sure if 1mm of silver would cost less than 3mm of steel :)

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the last render, the thickest part of the case is 1MM. The bevel is about .5MM. Silver can be .8mm thin.

The cost should be around $20 for the basic white plastic. A little more for the clear plastic. The white plastic takes paint very well and I may try to spray paint my test case once its in. Maybe a glossy black? I think a black case would look sweet on the blue.

Tofu. Ill make a solid back 3D model at 3MM and cost it out for you.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If I can make a suggestion on a metal case. A silicone "cushion pad" on the corners would keep the phone somewhat suspended while absorbing the shock should the device fall. Also would prevent shifting as whatever material would surely flex a touch. Think a strip of caulking and going cookie cutter on it. Just my $0.02 on a hellacious awesome idea. I'm thinking brushed copper or brass and a Denver Bronco head on the back. I look forward to what's next

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12